• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

hi there, i'm new here.

I just want to know if anybody here experienced having yellowish stool? 

I have been to doctors but cannot find anything wrong. Been prescribed with PPI for my GERD. 

To my research, it seems all the symptoms are pointing to Celiac disease.

I have started gluten-free diet for 3 days now. feeling better and my energy is better, my GERD is also better. I'm just worried about having yellowish stool for months.  Is it also part of this disease? When should I expect to have normal stool again?

Thank you in advance for the replies.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Yes, yellowish stool can be a symptom of celiac disease.  There are hundreds of possible symptoms of celiac though.  If you want to get tested, please start eating gluten again right now.  The testing looks for antibodies in the bloodstream.  Testing is not accurate of you are not eating gluten for at least 12 weeks prior to the blood draw.

Thank you for your reply GFinDCmuch appreciated. 

Still having second thoughts on testing and going back to eating gluten. I have read that the testing can be inaccurate...still not sure what to do...

Do you have kids?  Having a firm diagnosis can make it easier to get a diagnosis for them since celiac disease is genetic.  It does take some “trigger” to activate it, but it definitely runs in families.  Testing is not that inaccurate.  It is not perfect, but it is pretty darn good.  

While I am diagnosed officially, my hubby is not.  He is doing well on the gluten-free diet for 20 years.  But the medical industry does not really take him seriously and that includes family and friends.  I get way more support.  Just something to think  about when you get pressure to deviate from your diet.  A lifelong gluten-free diet is pretty serious.  It is not like falling off the Weight Watchers wagon.  

Whether it is celiac disease or not, you should see a doctor, specifically a Gastroenterologist.    A PPI is just a bandage.  What is the source of your GERD?  Could it be too many NSAIDS?  What if it is Crohn’s or cancer?  

Edited by cyclinglady

19 hours ago, itsme42 said:

I just want to know if anybody here experienced having yellowish stool? 

itsme42,

If it is truly yellow and not just clay colored (or earth colored which is normal) you might have a problem.

Here is  a couple of charts that might help you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stool+color+chart+pictures+for+adults&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8m2odvTyvn8RlM%3A%2C8Dldcwe5EPe7BM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTFSSx4h0PbzLfJ50x8jWqZb_7nMQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii6L7xieXhAhUMLK0KHaDWCkgQ9QEwAHoECAgQBA#imgrc=8m2odvTyvn8RlM:&vet=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=stool+color+chart+pictures+for+adults&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8m2odvTyvn8RlM%3A%2C8Dldcwe5EPe7BM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTFSSx4h0PbzLfJ50x8jWqZb_7nMQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii6L7xieXhAhUMLK0KHaDWCkgQ9QEwAHoECAgQBA#imgrc=UmbCjZzJo1WudM:&vet=1

All I did was a google search for these ....but many people don't know these charts exist.

There is also a Bristol Stool chart that might help answer some of your questions.

I would try taking a H2 blocker (ending in "Idine" like Ratidine etc.)  instead of a PPI if you  can for your GERD/Heartburn....PPIs can be notoriously hard to quit cold turkey.

Just quickly swap over to something like  Zantac 150 twice  day. .. and it will give you options of stepping down in doses to get you off the PPIs before you take them too long!

Here is why you should not take PPI's long term ... more than 6 months max....

https://www.drugwatcher.org/nexium-lawsuits/ 

Try this dose 150mg or similar product (H2 reducer) for 2 weeks then you can step down to 75mg morning (cut pill in half) and 150mg Zantac (Rantidine) at night until you have found a balance that works for you....reducing all your CARBS not just gluten from your diet will help the GERD ....because CARBS ferment....

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

16 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Do you have kids?  Having a firm diagnosis can make it easier to get a diagnosis for them since celiac disease is genetic.  It does take some “trigger” to activate it, but it definitely runs in families.  Testing is not that inaccurate.  It is not perfect, but it is pretty darn good.  

While I am diagnosed officially, my hubby is not.  He is doing well on the gluten-free diet for 20 years.  But the medical industry does not really take him seriously and that includes family and friends.  I get way more support.  Just something to think  about when you get pressure to deviate from your diet.  A lifelong gluten-free diet is pretty serious.  It is not like falling off the Weight Watchers wagon.  

Whether it is celiac disease or not, you should see a doctor, specifically a Gastroenterologist.    A PPI is just a bandage.  What is the source of your GERD?  Could it be too many NSAIDS?  What if it is Crohn’s or cancer?  

Thank you cyclinglady for your reply. This morning I already had my testing done... and I have decided to go back to Gastroenterologist when I get my results. 

4 hours ago, Posterboy said:

itsme42,

If it is truly yellow and not just clay colored (or earth colored which is normal) you might have a problem.

Here is  a couple of charts that might help you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stool+color+chart+pictures+for+adults&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8m2odvTyvn8RlM%3A%2C8Dldcwe5EPe7BM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTFSSx4h0PbzLfJ50x8jWqZb_7nMQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii6L7xieXhAhUMLK0KHaDWCkgQ9QEwAHoECAgQBA#imgrc=8m2odvTyvn8RlM:&vet=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=stool+color+chart+pictures+for+adults&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8m2odvTyvn8RlM%3A%2C8Dldcwe5EPe7BM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTFSSx4h0PbzLfJ50x8jWqZb_7nMQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwii6L7xieXhAhUMLK0KHaDWCkgQ9QEwAHoECAgQBA#imgrc=UmbCjZzJo1WudM:&vet=1

All I did was a google search for these ....but many people don't know these charts exist.

There is also a Bristol Stool chart that might help answer some of your questions.

I would try taking a H2 blocker (ending in "Idine" like Ratidine etc.)  instead of a PPI if you  can for your GERD/Heartburn....PPIs can be notoriously hard to quit cold turkey.

Just quickly swap over to something like  Zantac 150 twice  day. .. and it will give you options of stepping down in doses to get you off the PPIs before you take them too long!

Here is why you should not take PPI's long term ... more than 6 months max....

https://www.drugwatcher.org/nexium-lawsuits/ 

Try this dose 150mg or similar product (H2 reducer) for 2 weeks then you can step down to 75mg morning (cut pill in half) and 150mg Zantac (Rantidine) at night until you have found a balance that works for you....reducing all your CARBS not just gluten from your diet will help the GERD ....because CARBS ferment....

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

thank you Posterboy for your reply. I already stopped my PPIs when I started my gluten free diet, and I feel a better, still having little acid reflux from time to time... I just need to be patient...