• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

JasonK74

gluten-free in Europe?

Rate this topic

Hello!  my daughter is 11 and has celiac.  We eat a gluten-free diet in the US but were wondering if she could eat regular bread and gluten products while in Western Europe??  We have read a lot of sites where people state they ate bread and pastries and were fine. Please help. We do not want our daughter to be miserable on vacation. I know there are a lot of gluten-free options across Europe, and we have mapped them out, just in case.  Any help would be appreciated!!!

16 minutes ago, JasonK74 said:

Hello!  my daughter is 11 and has celiac.  We eat a gluten-free diet in the US but were wondering if she could eat regular bread and gluten products while in Western Europe??  We have read a lot of sites where people state they ate bread and pastries and were fine. Please help. We do not want our daughter to be miserable on vacation. I know there are a lot of gluten-free options across Europe, and we have mapped them out, just in case.  Any help would be appreciated!!!

No.  Gluten is gluten.  Please don’t make your daughter sick on vacation.  Public restrooms are not as easy to find in other countries.  Often they are pay toilets, too.  Could get pricey if you gluten your child.  🤪

Edited by kareng

Think about this - if There is something magical about Europe that makes gluten safe for Celiacs- why would they still sell so much gluten-free stuff at the groceries?  Why have gluten-free bakeries?  Why have such good laws about gluten-free food and labeling?

what I have found is that a lot of these people probably don’t actually have Celiac.  There are a lot of self diagnosed out there.  Also, for some Celiacs that have been gluten-free and healed for a few years- a bit of gluten might not be felt.  Also, people will blame the symptoms on something else if they want to justify eating gluten 

The answer is sadly no.  Lots of theories out there about different wheat or longer rising times for bread though.  But the reality is there are plenty of celiacs in Europe.  I recall Finland being the country with the most celiacs.  Italy might be next.  They also seem to have lots of research out of Scandinavia and Italy as a result.  

The good news is that Finland is a great place to visit if you have celiac disease.  We loved it there.   The same goes for Italy.  You can even find gluten-free processed foods in any pharmacy.  We have had harder times trying to find gluten free in France.  But it has been a couple of years, so that may have changed.  We even stayed in England in a gluten-free Bed and Breakfast and enjoyed a farm stay there too.  

We took celiac gluten free cards in several languages.  We also bought lots of food from markets and picnicked (bring or purchase some basic cutlery with you).  Saved a lot of money that way too.  We ate simple things at hotels like yogurt and hard boiled eggs.  We research and try to find dedicated gluten-free restaurants where ever we go.  At least find some safe restaurants based on reviews by celiacs.  

Have fun!  You can do it!  We met many celiacs as a result.  People are usually so kind and helpful.  Make sure you have food with you always (shelf-stable).  We are usually disappointed on airplanes.  Even when I double check, they forget gluten-free meals.  Be prepared for that and finding food at airports.  

Edited by cyclinglady