This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gastritis and gluten - is there a link?

Crispy chick

Crispy chick Explorer

So I am awaiting my biopsy results. I have started my gluten-free diet, irrespective. 

During my endoscopy I was found to have bad gastritis with polyps. I think this may be the route cause of my nausea and some of my other symptoms. However, going gluten-free takes my constant headaches away..... So gluten must be a factor. 

I am wondering if gluten intolerance or celiac can cause the gastritis? I don't seem to have the other trigger factors which are h pylori bacteria, overuse of alcohol or anti inflammatories. Therefore there is no clear reason for my gastritis which is causing stomach erosion. 

Anyone found a connection? Or cleared up gastritis with a gluten-free diet???? 

Many thanks x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Celiac disease and gastritis can be related.  Often gastritis will resolve on the gluten free diet, but if it does not, it can be another issue.  The biopsy results should reveal the source of your gastritis.  It can be autoimmune, H.Pylori or the other things you listed.

When I had a repeat endoscopy, biopsies revealed a healed small intestine, but gastric biopsies found  Autoimmune Gastritis.  My GI removed a polyp too.  My AIG ebbs and flows.  I m still trying to determine specific triggers.  I wish it were easy like celiac disease where gluten is the trigger.  My GI said that AIG is often linked to Autoimmune thyroiditis which I also have.  Other than watching for iron or B12 deficiencies, there is no treatment.  Just a “wait and watch” approach.  

You are just going to need to wait for the biopsies.  Keep us posted!  

Posterboy Mentor
On 6/6/2019 at 6:01 AM, Crispy chick said:

So I am awaiting my biopsy results. I have started my gluten-free diet, irrespective. 

During my endoscopy I was found to have bad gastritis with polyps. I think this may be the route cause of my nausea and some of my other symptoms. However, going gluten-free takes my constant headaches away..... So gluten must be a factor. 

I am wondering if gluten intolerance or celiac can cause the gastritis? I don't seem to have the other trigger factors which are h pylori bacteria, overuse of alcohol or anti inflammatories. Therefore there is no clear reason for my gastritis which is causing stomach erosion. 

Anyone found a connection? Or cleared up gastritis with a gluten-free diet???? 

Many thanks x

Crispychick,

Here is the research you asked about entitled "Subtypes of chronic gastritis in patients with celiac disease before and after gluten-free diet" and it is very current.

...the answer is it depends on what kind it is?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5625871/

you mentioned you do not have H.Pyloria ..the answer is yet.

see this research that explains your issue well entitled "Acute gastritis with hypochlorhydria: report of 35 cases with long term follow up".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1728062/

they summarize well that gastritis happens first then come the H.Pyloria infection.

they noted in their results quoting

"Archived material provided strong evidence of new H pylori acquisition in a total of 14 subjects within two months, in 18 within four months, and in 22 within 12 months of recognition of AGH. Prevalence of H pylori colonisation at follow up was 82% (23 of 28) in AGH subjects, significantly (p<0.05) higher than in matched controls (29%)"

the longer someone had acute gastritis with hypochlorhydria the greater the chance of H.Pyloria infection.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

cyclinglady Grand Master
13 minutes ago, Posterboy said:

Crispychick,

Here is the research you asked about entitled "Subtypes of chronic gastritis in patients with celiac disease before and after gluten-free diet" and it is very current.

...the answer is it depends on what kind it is?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5625871/

you mentioned you do not have H.Pyloria ..the answer is yet.

see this research that explains your issue well entitled "Acute gastritis with hypochlorhydria: report of 35 cases with long term follow up".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1728062/

they summarize well that gastritis happens first then come the H.Pyloria infection.

they noted in their results quoting

"Archived material provided strong evidence of new H pylori acquisition in a total of 14 subjects within two months, in 18 within four months, and in 22 within 12 months of recognition of AGH. Prevalence of H pylori colonisation at follow up was 82% (23 of 28) in AGH subjects, significantly (p<0.05) higher than in matched controls (29%)"

the longer someone had acute gastritis with hypochlorhydria the greater the chance of H.Pyloria infection.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

I am depressed now!  Let’s figure out how to stop the autoimmune process before deficiencies, infections, or cancer.  

Posterboy Mentor

Cyclinglady,

Don't be depressed...my point was this happens when your stomach acid is low ...and that can be treated.

It didn't say in the abstract ..but the full citation said most of those with Hypochlorhydria got better 4 to (6 months) latter. ...and explains how your gastritis can improve (assuming you can be stress free that long) ...most of my gastritis symptom's got better after I began taking some BetaineHCL (powdered stomach acid).

It's an approved treatment for high homocysteine levels also known as homocystinuria.

See this reserarch entitled "Homocystinuria--the effects of betaine in the treatment of patients not responsive to pyridoxine."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6877313

Here is another article about Iron Deficient Anemia being caused by low/No stomach acid.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/102/1/9/4564242

I will quote from their discussion points.

"Because achlorhydria is present in most if not all patients with autoimmune gastritis and megaloblastic anemia, achlorhydria must have preceded the development of iron deficiency in these patients with PA."

I only know more stomach acid helped me... and newer research agrees (circa 2015) but it will take many more years before this research is accepted practice.

There is older research too that says the same thing 10+ years old ...but it just takes awhile on average 18 to 20 years for new research to reach clinical practice.  the 2015 study was a definitive study concluding that one caused the other.

I just hate to see other's still suffering when there are easy answer for gastritis like replacement stomach acid.

Here is a recent study about replacement stomach acid to treat someone who used  betaineHCL capsules (presumably) to treat the SIBO that developed from hypochlorohyria.

If you find the root cause the  other associated symptom's usually get better as a result.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

I see/noticed I didn't include this link about a Case Study report on  how to use Replacement Stomach Acid to treat IBS and Gastritis for those with Hypochlorhydria after mentioning it above...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4991651/

Edited by Posterboy
I saw I left out link I mentioned
Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Yes , personally my stomach was horrendous on my endoscopy seen by naked eye in scope photos. I must stay gluten-free for not only my intestines , stomach, nerves, brain, gallbladder, pancreas and hormones. I probably forgot something else.

Edit - I forgot to add I was negative h pylori etc . So that was ruled out.

Edited by Awol cast iron stomach
One more thought
Crispy chick Explorer

I have read a lot about betaine hcl and supplementing for reflux. Indeed I gave it a try. 

However, following my endoscopy the consultant could see my gastritis with polyps and erosion. I would be very scared to supplement with acid with the erosion and polyps......?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

This got off topic.  

Just try the gluten free diet.  It may solve all your problems.  Let us know the outcome of your biopsies.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

@Posterboy

The original poster is waiting for biopsy results.  By telling her my story, I wanted her to know that all her problems may not just be due to celiac disease. It was just advice to think about in the future.  

As far as my own issues, I am interested in putting my Gastritis into remission since it is due to a diagnosed autoimmune disease.  I am not interested in quick fixes or treatments,  but thank you for your input.

Crispy chick Explorer

Just out of interest cyclelady can they tell you the cause of the gastritis from the biopsy? Did they discover yours was autoimmune from analysing your biopsy? 

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, Crispy chick said:

Just out of interest cyclelady can they tell you the cause of the gastritis from the biopsy? Did they discover yours was autoimmune from analysing your biopsy? 

Yes, my biopsies (pathologist’s report)  revealed Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis with a polyp that my GI removed since it was easy for him to do so.  Usually people who have AIG do not know it until they are deficient in B-12 or iron enough to become anemic.  At this time, I am not deficient or anemic at all, so no treatment is necessary.

I went for a repeat biopsy because I was having gastric issues almost a year after a gluten exposure.  The repeat biopsy revealed a healed small intestine, but found the Gastritis which I did not have five years ago (no h. Pylori either time).  

I do have autoimmune thyroiditis which is commonly linked to AIG.  I noticed that it can flare when my Hashimoto’s acts up or I get a gluten exposure.  Hence, eating a clean diet, exercising and keeping my stress levels all help me feel better.  

Right now, my AIG is in remission.  It would be great to find out my specific triggers.  I am only guessing that gluten might contribute as a trigger simply because it triggers my celiac disease which seems to trigger my other autoimmune disorders which makes sense, since this is all immune/hypersensitivity related.  

My advice is to go gluten free or research the Autoimmune Paleo diet even if your small intestinal biopsies are negative.  I think diet that avoids processed or inflammatory foods can help autoimmune disorders.  

There are really no cures for autoimmune disorders.  We just need to figure out how to manage them and live a happy life.  I was glad to find out that I healed (or put into remission) my celiac disease.  I was kind of going crazy trying to find how gluten was getting into my diet despite my best efforts.  It was nice to know that I am doing a good job.  

Finally, Posterboy is on to something.  Too many doctors prescribe anti acids without really knowing the cause of the problem.  Allowing the stomach to empty well before bedtime, taking a bit of apple cider vinegar and sleeping on a wedge pillow all helps during a flare up.  Always let your doctor know what is going on with you.  

Posterboy Mentor
4 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

There are really no cures for autoimmune disorders.  We just need to figure out how to manage them and live a happy life.  I was glad to find out that I healed (or put into remission) my celiac disease.  I was kind of going crazy trying to find how gluten was getting into my diet despite my best efforts.  It was nice to know that I am doing a good job.  

Finally, Posterboy is on to something.  Too many doctors prescribe anti acids without really knowing the cause of the problem.  Allowing the stomach to empty well before bedtime, taking a bit of apple cider vinegar and sleeping on a wedge pillow all helps during a flare up.  Always let your doctor know what is going on with you.  

9 hours ago, Crispy chick said:

I have read a lot about betaine hcl and supplementing for reflux. Indeed I gave it a try. 

However, following my endoscopy the consultant could see my gastritis with polyps and erosion. I would be very scared to supplement with acid with the erosion and polyps......?

Crispy Chick and Cyclinglady,

(I am in and out of the hay field this week so if I don't respond the rest of the week ...don't worry ... and I tend to write a little longer post when I don't think I can get back for a while ...so I am sorry if this is little too long as usual)

Cyclinglady has given you good advise as she always does.

I admit ...I see stomach acid as the cause of many GI issues or at least an associated condition.

I saw this research and probably over reacted (as I sometimes do) on sciencedirect.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/pernicious-anemia

Even in this referenced topic on PA ...they are all over the board ...some recognize it as an auto-immune disease and some articles attribute it to the associated low stomach acid.

The answer may be somewhere in the middle as it often is. ...

I had PA years ago. ...I had to take a FABB tablet religously and when I began taking something for my low stomach acid ..I haven't had a B-12 issue since.

I can vividly remember having to wake up in the middle of the night ....as my whole side would tingle ....like my nerves where on fire ...two to three times a night often.

This got better when I treated my low stomach acid with BetaineHCL capulses.

That said, ,, Crispy Chick ...your concerns are valid ones ...and why like you (I said to myself) if I do have low stomach acid misdiagnosed/undiagnosed what else could be causing it.

that lead me to Prousky's research on how to treat low stomach acid naturally.

here is his research.

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2001/articles/2001-v16n04-p225.shtml

It is 15+ years old .. and it only apply to hypochlorhydria aka low stomach ...but if PA is linked then using Niacin aka Nicotnic Acid in 50mg or 100mg doses with meals will help your gastritis if it is caused by hypochlorhyria or no stomach acid (aka achlorhydria)

This is much easier on the stomach and safer ....and many celia'cs are low in B-Vitamins to begin with so yo might even try a Co-enzymic B-vitamin if you can't find a low mg like less than 100mg max Niacin or a Niacin as Niacinamide.

I Have summarized the best ways to take B-Vitamins here. ..they help us with our stress.

https://www.celiac.com/blogs/entry/2109-whos-afraid-of-a-b-vitamin-you-neednt-bee-a-faq-on-niacinamide-and-how-to-take-niacinamide-and-why-you-would-want-to-in-the-first-place/

2x with meals or with each  meal is easiest and best to way to take because frequency is more important than the amount because B-vitamins are water soluble at least 2 a day is best.

I must end for now...but you needn't bee afraid of an enzymic B-vitamin because they are in the bodies natural form....like a natural methyl form of folate instead of folic acid etc.

I hope this is helpful but it is not  medical advise.

Posterboy,

• 1 month later...
at1992 Apprentice

I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity and had pretty bad gastritis/esophagitis (even while taking PPIs / H2 blockers) before finally getting diagnosed. I definitely feel as though there is a link! Symptoms improved greatly after going gluten-free, to the point that I only take medicine intermittently 

• 4 years later...
Corali Newbie

Hello

As soon as I eat gluten I also get gastritis and duodenitis. I strictly avoid gluten. But it is inevitable that I sometimes eat contaminated food. Now the fact is that I get gastritis from gluten, but by just dont est it again the gastritis doesn't go away. I just don't know why and I'm at a loss. So the gluten would trigger the inflammation. This time it's so bad that my gastritis has been going on for 5 months. How about you? How do you get gastritis under control again? Best regards

Wheatwacked Veteran

Hi Corali, welcome

This is an older thread but it is interesting to read what was current thought then.

Choline is oxidized to betaine that serves as an osmoregulator and is a substrate in the betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase reaction, which links choline and betaine to the folate-dependent one-carbon metabolism. Choline and betaine are important sources of one-carbon units, in particular, during folate deficiency.

Choline is an essential vitamin.  It makes up mitochondrial membrane, the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, is the major component of Bile, so deficiency can cause gallstones, gall bladder disease.  Diffeciency of choline causes Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.  It is why you may have floating, off color, stinking bowel movements, and much, much more.

Less than 10% in the developed world eat even the mininum amout recommended. 450 mg a day. That's 3 eggs or 10 cups of brocolli.  The safe upper limit is 3500 mg.  The best and cheapest way to go is to supplement.  I take 840 mg Phosphatidyl choline every day.  Having too much is vertually impossible but not enough almost a given.

Symptoms and risks of choline deficiency include:

• Feeling anxious or restless
  • Fatty liver, otherwise known as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
  • Muscle damage
  • Hyperhomocysteinemia
  • Hemorrhagic kidney necrosis
  • Cancer
  • If the mother is deficient while pregnant or lactating, greater risks for neural tube defects and cleft lip and palate as well as memory and other cognitive impairments in the child later in life

cristiana Veteran
18 hours ago, Corali said:

Hello

As soon as I eat gluten I also get gastritis and duodenitis. I strictly avoid gluten. But it is inevitable that I sometimes eat contaminated food. Now the fact is that I get gastritis from gluten, but by just dont est it again the gastritis doesn't go away. I just don't know why and I'm at a loss. So the gluten would trigger the inflammation. This time it's so bad that my gastritis has been going on for 5 months. How about you? How do you get gastritis under control again? Best regards

Hello Corali

I get gastritis-type burning when I am glutened.  Often, the only evidence I have of a mild glutening is a burning stomach.   I find that taking 20mg of omeprazole or a similar OTC PPI just for a few days allows my stomach to settle down.   I would never advise people to take this medication long term without consulting a doctor as it can have side-effects but for me it does seem to work.  I am prescribed the tablets by my GP and find that I get through about 30 a year.  

I would also say follow a gastritis diet for a few days after glutening, i.e. avoiding fatty, spicy foods etc and eating small regular meals, and drinking water and chamomile tea rather than caffeinated drinks.  Avoiding alcohol too.

I hope this helps.

Cristiana

Corali Newbie
On 8/17/2023 at 10:29 PM, Wheatwacked said:

Hi Corali, welcome

This is an older thread but it is interesting to read what was current thought then.

Choline is an essential vitamin.  It makes up mitochondrial membrane, the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, is the major component of Bile, so deficiency can cause gallstones, gall bladder disease.  Diffeciency of choline causes Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.  It is why you may have floating, off color, stinking bowel movements, and much, much more.

Less than 10% in the developed world eat even the mininum amout recommended. 450 mg a day. That's 3 eggs or 10 cups of brocolli.  The safe upper limit is 3500 mg.  The best and cheapest way to go is to supplement.  I take 840 mg Phosphatidyl choline every day.  Having too much is vertually impossible but not enough almost a given.

Symptoms and risks of choline deficiency include:

• Feeling anxious or restless
  • Fatty liver, otherwise known as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
  • Muscle damage
  • Hyperhomocysteinemia
  • Hemorrhagic kidney necrosis
  • Cancer
  • If the mother is deficient while pregnant or lactating, greater risks for neural tube defects and cleft lip and palate as well as memory and other cognitive impairments in the child later in life

Wow thank yor for this information. But I dont have the symptoms you are describing. Maybe I dont understand it right, because my english is not the Best...but do there exist a link to gastritis?

And which product you take to get this Choline?

Corali Newbie
22 hours ago, cristiana said:

Hello Corali

I get gastritis-type burning when I am glutened.  Often, the only evidence I have of a mild glutening is a burning stomach.   I find that taking 20mg of omeprazole or a similar OTC PPI just for a few days allows my stomach to settle down.   I would never advise people to take this medication long term without consulting a doctor as it can have side-effects but for me it does seem to work.  I am prescribed the tablets by my GP and find that I get through about 30 a year.  

I would also say follow a gastritis diet for a few days after glutening, i.e. avoiding fatty, spicy foods etc and eating small regular meals, and drinking water and chamomile tea rather than caffeinated drinks.  Avoiding alcohol too.

I hope this helps.

Cristiana

Thank you for this Post. In the past I do it like you did....a few days PPI and the stomach startet to heal. But this time it dient worked for me. And I ate really healthy ....Tea, vegetable,etc ...

And did you get testet on celiac desease? Did you avoid gluten strict?

I am wondering because people with celiac desease describe other symptoms than mine And that confuse me...but my body react when I eating gluten And I wish I could understand it.

Sorry for my english 🙈

Corali

cristiana Veteran

Hi Corali

It is of course common to have gastritis without having coeliac disease - a friend of mine has the exact same gastritis-like symptoms as me, but has been tested through biopsy as well as blood tests and does not have coeliac disease. 

She can go through periods of no pain at all, only for it to flare up again.  

In reply to your question, yes, I am a coeliac diagnosed through blood test and biopsy.  Some years into my gluten free journey (and I was trying to be very strict) I suddenly got very bad burning stomach symptoms and in the end it was traced to an iron supplement I was taking which had gluten in it!  So do check that you are not taking in gluten through medication, or perhaps through low levels of cross-contamination.   

Have you been tested for helicobacter pylori which can cause gastritis and stomach ulcers?

Also, do you eat out much? - I'd definitely avoid that because it is so easy to be glutened in a restaurant.

Oats also might be a problem, for a small percentage of coeliacs the oat protein avenine can cause symptoms, and this applies even to those oats which are 'pure' and uncontaminated with gluten.

Also, are you taking any NSAID painkillers - ibuprofen, aspirin etc, as that could be irritating your stomach?

Cristiana

Corali Newbie
24 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Hi Corali

It is of course common to have gastritis without having coeliac disease - a friend of mine has the exact same gastritis-like symptoms as me, but has been tested through biopsy as well as blood tests and does not have coeliac disease. 

She can go through periods of no pain at all, only for it to flare up again.  

In reply to your question, yes, I am a coeliac diagnosed through blood test and biopsy.  Some years into my gluten free journey (and I was trying to be very strict) I suddenly got very bad burning stomach symptoms and in the end it was traced to an iron supplement I was taking which had gluten in it!  So do check that you are not taking in gluten through medication, or perhaps through low levels of cross-contamination.   

Have you been tested for helicobacter pylori which can cause gastritis and stomach ulcers?

Also, do you eat out much? - I'd definitely avoid that because it is so easy to be glutened in a restaurant.

Oats also might be a problem, for a small percentage of coeliacs the oat protein avenine can cause symptoms, and this applies even to those oats which are 'pure' and uncontaminated with gluten.

Also, are you taking any NSAID painkillers - ibuprofen, aspirin etc, as that could be irritating your stomach?

Cristiana

Thanks for the input. My blood test from celiac desease was negative at the time and the biopsy showed Marsh 2... but since my body is showing me the gastritis symptoms, I have strictly avoided gluten for years. Nevertheless, I could not avoid to eat contaminated food over the years..

Thank you for pointing out the nutritional supplements. Maybe I've overlooked something. And is it also the case that once you have gastritis symptoms (due to contamination) that the gastritis don't go away without the medication, even though you don't continue to eat gluten? And you are the first person I "meet" who reports the same symptoms like I have. Not even in the celiac disease forum in Germany with 40,000 people does anyone have these symptoms... and the diagnosis of celica desease was never clear but still possible,...so I began to doubt myself. I don't know if that's understandable. So thank you very much for your words. I am just desperate because this time I have the gadtritis for so long... kind regards

Wheatwacked Veteran
5 hours ago, Corali said:

but do there exist a link to gastritis?

The short answer is Yes.

3 hours ago, Corali said:

My blood test from celiac desease was negative at the time and the biopsy showed Marsh 2... but since my body is showing me the gastritis symptoms, I have strictly avoided gluten for years.

To be diagnosed officially by biopsy you need Marsh 3 damage. You have Marsh 2.  Also, you have been avoiding gluten for years.  You need to be actively eating gluten for it to affect you.  That's what makes diagnosing it so complicated.  

For a gluten tolerance challenge to be accurate you need to be actively being contaminated by gluten.  Experts say for blood testing to be positive you should eat more than 2 slices of bread worth of gluten for at least 6 weeks.  For positive biopsy the experts suggest you need at least 2 weeks of 2 slices of bread a day.  Some are even recommending 4 slices a day.  Even then, your small intestine is 7 meters long and biopsies are done only on the first 40 centemeters.  Lots of room for error.

Like cristiana says look for anything you changed around the time your gastritis started.  Soaps, supplements, foods, stress.  Maybe something that was gluten free and now is not gluten free.

Dr Faisano created a list of foods to eat and to avoid in cases where contamination is not obvious.  Products allowed/disallowed in the Gluten Contamination Elimination Diet.

Deficiency of thiamine, vitamin B1, called Beriberi can also be a cause of gastritis.  

Digestive problems. She reported “stomach problems” in pregnancy, gastritis and GERD, all of which can occur with thiamine deficiency.... We now know that a marginal deficiency can be converted into full-blown deficiency as a result of the energy consumption required in meeting the stress.

the doctor take at least 4-6 duodenal samples from the second part of duodenum and the duodenal bulb, in order to obtain an accurate diagnosis.   In humans, the duodenum is a hollow jointed tube about 25–38 centimetres (10–15 inches) long connecting the stomach to the middle part of the small intestine.

Corali Newbie
37 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

The short answer is Yes.

To be diagnosed officially by biopsy you need Marsh 3 damage. You have Marsh 2.  Also, you have been avoiding gluten for years.  You need to be actively eating gluten for it to affect you.  That's what makes diagnosing it so complicated.  

For a gluten tolerance challenge to be accurate you need to be actively being contaminated by gluten.  Experts say for blood testing to be positive you should eat more than 2 slices of bread worth of gluten for at least 6 weeks.  For positive biopsy the experts suggest you need at least 2 weeks of 2 slices of bread a day.  Some are even recommending 4 slices a day.  Even then, your small intestine is 7 meters long and biopsies are done only on the first 40 centemeters.  Lots of room for error.

Like cristiana says look for anything you changed around the time your gastritis started.  Soaps, supplements, foods, stress.  Maybe something that was gluten free and now is not gluten free.

Dr Faisano created a list of foods to eat and to avoid in cases where contamination is not obvious.  Products allowed/disallowed in the Gluten Contamination Elimination Diet.

Deficiency of thiamine, vitamin B1, called Beriberi can also be a cause of gastritis.  

Digestive problems. She reported “stomach problems” in pregnancy, gastritis and GERD, all of which can occur with thiamine deficiency.... We now know that a marginal deficiency can be converted into full-blown deficiency as a result of the energy consumption required in meeting the stress.

At the time of the biopsy I was still eating gluten normally. After that I didn't eat gluten anymore.

My symptoms are so horrible and for long (not just diarrhea for a few days), that I can't start again eating gluten to do a new test.

I read Marsh 2 is a transition?

I know that 5 months ago, when the gastritis started again, I accidentally ate something contaminated. But since then I have not been able to get the inflammation under control.

Soap? So yes I have soap with wheat from time to time...is that forbidden? i mean I dont eat it?.. best regards ❤️

cristiana Veteran
2 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

That's so interesting... thanks for sharing - I never knew this.

Wheatwacked Veteran

Some members have said that they react to kissing.someone who has recently eaten gluten.

Have you seen a doctor recently? Any medications?  Do you have recent blood tests for vitamin D, homocysteine, vitamin B12, folate?

Assuming the doctors don't know what is wrong, vitamin deficiencies are likely.  Try taking lots of vitamin D, Thiamine and Choline to start.  They are commonly deficient in the general population AND celiac disease causes absorption problems so you are even more at risk for deficiencies..

250 mcg vitamin D3. 500 mg Thiamine (B1).  500 mg choline is what I take everyday and I am doing well on them. 

I also take large amounts of B3, B5, B12, Taurine

These are your top 3 probable causes, but not the only possible deficiencies you may have.

• Autoimmune gastritis  vitamin D.
  • Bile reflux gastritis:   Choline
  • Beriberi gastritis:  Thiamine (vitamin B1

Vitamin D can be easily tested.  There is no accurate medical test for low Thiamine or Choline but taking them at a high enough level will show improvement quickly.

Vitamin D deficiency was the main one in chronic atrophic autoimmune gastritis patients.  40-45% in the general German population are vitamin D insufficient. An additional 15-30% are vitamin D deficient.  Adherence to present sun safety policy (avoidance of the sun between 11 am and 3 pm) and dietary recommendations (5-10 microg daily for adults) would, however, definitively lead to vitamin D deficiency.  

Choline intake for adults has been set at 400 mg/day by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).  The total choline intake from dietary and supplementary sources in pregnant women in Germany was estimated. 516 pregnant women participated in the survey.  Only 19 women (7%) achieved adequate choline intake.

Coreli, I wish I was as good in German as you are in English.

Cristiana, the difference between Marsh 2 and Marsh 3b is the doctors perception of villi atrophy.   Modified Marsh Classification of histologic findings in celiac disease