• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Crispy chick

Gastritis and gluten - is there a link?

Rate this topic

So I am awaiting my biopsy results. I have started my gluten-free diet, irrespective. 

During my endoscopy I was found to have bad gastritis with polyps. I think this may be the route cause of my nausea and some of my other symptoms. However, going gluten-free takes my constant headaches away..... So gluten must be a factor. 

I am wondering if gluten intolerance or celiac can cause the gastritis? I don't seem to have the other trigger factors which are h pylori bacteria, overuse of alcohol or anti inflammatories. Therefore there is no clear reason for my gastritis which is causing stomach erosion. 

Anyone found a connection? Or cleared up gastritis with a gluten-free diet???? 

Many thanks x

Celiac disease and gastritis can be related.  Often gastritis will resolve on the gluten free diet, but if it does not, it can be another issue.  The biopsy results should reveal the source of your gastritis.  It can be autoimmune, H.Pylori or the other things you listed.

When I had a repeat endoscopy, biopsies revealed a healed small intestine, but gastric biopsies found  Autoimmune Gastritis.  My GI removed a polyp too.  My AIG ebbs and flows.  I m still trying to determine specific triggers.  I wish it were easy like celiac disease where gluten is the trigger.  My GI said that AIG is often linked to Autoimmune thyroiditis which I also have.  Other than watching for iron or B12 deficiencies, there is no treatment.  Just a “wait and watch” approach.  

You are just going to need to wait for the biopsies.  Keep us posted!  

On 6/6/2019 at 6:01 AM, Crispy chick said:

So I am awaiting my biopsy results. I have started my gluten-free diet, irrespective. 

During my endoscopy I was found to have bad gastritis with polyps. I think this may be the route cause of my nausea and some of my other symptoms. However, going gluten-free takes my constant headaches away..... So gluten must be a factor. 

I am wondering if gluten intolerance or celiac can cause the gastritis? I don't seem to have the other trigger factors which are h pylori bacteria, overuse of alcohol or anti inflammatories. Therefore there is no clear reason for my gastritis which is causing stomach erosion. 

Anyone found a connection? Or cleared up gastritis with a gluten-free diet???? 

Many thanks x

Crispychick,

Here is the research you asked about entitled "Subtypes of chronic gastritis in patients with celiac disease before and after gluten-free diet" and it is very current.

...the answer is it depends on what kind it is?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5625871/

you mentioned you do not have H.Pyloria ..the answer is yet.

see this research that explains your issue well entitled "Acute gastritis with hypochlorhydria: report of 35 cases with long term follow up".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1728062/

they summarize well that gastritis happens first then come the H.Pyloria infection.

they noted in their results quoting

"Archived material provided strong evidence of new H pylori acquisition in a total of 14 subjects within two months, in 18 within four months, and in 22 within 12 months of recognition of AGH. Prevalence of H pylori colonisation at follow up was 82% (23 of 28) in AGH subjects, significantly (p<0.05) higher than in matched controls (29%)"

the longer someone had acute gastritis with hypochlorhydria the greater the chance of H.Pyloria infection.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

13 minutes ago, Posterboy said:

Crispychick,

Here is the research you asked about entitled "Subtypes of chronic gastritis in patients with celiac disease before and after gluten-free diet" and it is very current.

...the answer is it depends on what kind it is?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5625871/

you mentioned you do not have H.Pyloria ..the answer is yet.

see this research that explains your issue well entitled "Acute gastritis with hypochlorhydria: report of 35 cases with long term follow up".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1728062/

they summarize well that gastritis happens first then come the H.Pyloria infection.

they noted in their results quoting

"Archived material provided strong evidence of new H pylori acquisition in a total of 14 subjects within two months, in 18 within four months, and in 22 within 12 months of recognition of AGH. Prevalence of H pylori colonisation at follow up was 82% (23 of 28) in AGH subjects, significantly (p<0.05) higher than in matched controls (29%)"

the longer someone had acute gastritis with hypochlorhydria the greater the chance of H.Pyloria infection.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

I am depressed now!  Let’s figure out how to stop the autoimmune process before deficiencies, infections, or cancer.  

Cyclinglady,

Don't be depressed...my point was this happens when your stomach acid is low ...and that can be treated.

It didn't say in the abstract ..but the full citation said most of those with Hypochlorhydria got better 4 to (6 months) latter. ...and explains how your gastritis can improve (assuming you can be stress free that long) ...most of my gastritis symptom's got better after I began taking some BetaineHCL (powdered stomach acid).

It's an approved treatment for high homocysteine levels also known as homocystinuria.

See this reserarch entitled "Homocystinuria--the effects of betaine in the treatment of patients not responsive to pyridoxine."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6877313

Here is another article about Iron Deficient Anemia being caused by low/No stomach acid.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/102/1/9/4564242

I will quote from their discussion points.

"Because achlorhydria is present in most if not all patients with autoimmune gastritis and megaloblastic anemia, achlorhydria must have preceded the development of iron deficiency in these patients with PA."

I only know more stomach acid helped me... and newer research agrees (circa 2015) but it will take many more years before this research is accepted practice.

There is older research too that says the same thing 10+ years old ...but it just takes awhile on average 18 to 20 years for new research to reach clinical practice.  the 2015 study was a definitive study concluding that one caused the other.

I just hate to see other's still suffering when there are easy answer for gastritis like replacement stomach acid.

Here is a recent study about replacement stomach acid to treat someone who used  betaineHCL capsules (presumably) to treat the SIBO that developed from hypochlorohyria.

If you find the root cause the  other associated symptom's usually get better as a result.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

I see/noticed I didn't include this link about a Case Study report on  how to use Replacement Stomach Acid to treat IBS and Gastritis for those with Hypochlorhydria after mentioning it above...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4991651/

Edited by Posterboy
I saw I left out link I mentioned

Yes , personally my stomach was horrendous on my endoscopy seen by naked eye in scope photos. I must stay gluten-free for not only my intestines , stomach, nerves, brain, gallbladder, pancreas and hormones. I probably forgot something else.

Edit - I forgot to add I was negative h pylori etc . So that was ruled out.

Edited by Awol cast iron stomach
One more thought

I have read a lot about betaine hcl and supplementing for reflux. Indeed I gave it a try. 

However, following my endoscopy the consultant could see my gastritis with polyps and erosion. I would be very scared to supplement with acid with the erosion and polyps......🤔

@Posterboy

The original poster is waiting for biopsy results.  By telling her my story, I wanted her to know that all her problems may not just be due to celiac disease. It was just advice to think about in the future.  

As far as my own issues, I am interested in putting my Gastritis into remission since it is due to a diagnosed autoimmune disease.  I am not interested in quick fixes or treatments,  but thank you for your input.

2 hours ago, Crispy chick said:

Just out of interest cyclelady can they tell you the cause of the gastritis from the biopsy? Did they discover yours was autoimmune from analysing your biopsy? 

Yes, my biopsies (pathologist’s report)  revealed Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis with a polyp that my GI removed since it was easy for him to do so.  Usually people who have AIG do not know it until they are deficient in B-12 or iron enough to become anemic.  At this time, I am not deficient or anemic at all, so no treatment is necessary.

I went for a repeat biopsy because I was having gastric issues almost a year after a gluten exposure.  The repeat biopsy revealed a healed small intestine, but found the Gastritis which I did not have five years ago (no h. Pylori either time).  

I do have autoimmune thyroiditis which is commonly linked to AIG.  I noticed that it can flare when my Hashimoto’s acts up or I get a gluten exposure.  Hence, eating a clean diet, exercising and keeping my stress levels all help me feel better.  

Right now, my AIG is in remission.  It would be great to find out my specific triggers.  I am only guessing that gluten might contribute as a trigger simply because it triggers my celiac disease which seems to trigger my other autoimmune disorders which makes sense, since this is all immune/hypersensitivity related.  

My advice is to go gluten free or research the Autoimmune Paleo diet even if your small intestinal biopsies are negative.  I think diet that avoids processed or inflammatory foods can help autoimmune disorders.  

There are really no cures for autoimmune disorders.  We just need to figure out how to manage them and live a happy life.  I was glad to find out that I healed (or put into remission) my celiac disease.  I was kind of going crazy trying to find how gluten was getting into my diet despite my best efforts.  It was nice to know that I am doing a good job.  

Finally, Posterboy is on to something.  Too many doctors prescribe anti acids without really knowing the cause of the problem.  Allowing the stomach to empty well before bedtime, taking a bit of apple cider vinegar and sleeping on a wedge pillow all helps during a flare up.  Always let your doctor know what is going on with you.  

4 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

There are really no cures for autoimmune disorders.  We just need to figure out how to manage them and live a happy life.  I was glad to find out that I healed (or put into remission) my celiac disease.  I was kind of going crazy trying to find how gluten was getting into my diet despite my best efforts.  It was nice to know that I am doing a good job.  

Finally, Posterboy is on to something.  Too many doctors prescribe anti acids without really knowing the cause of the problem.  Allowing the stomach to empty well before bedtime, taking a bit of apple cider vinegar and sleeping on a wedge pillow all helps during a flare up.  Always let your doctor know what is going on with you.  

9 hours ago, Crispy chick said:

I have read a lot about betaine hcl and supplementing for reflux. Indeed I gave it a try. 

However, following my endoscopy the consultant could see my gastritis with polyps and erosion. I would be very scared to supplement with acid with the erosion and polyps......🤔

Crispy Chick and Cyclinglady,

(I am in and out of the hay field this week so if I don't respond the rest of the week ...don't worry ... and I tend to write a little longer post when I don't think I can get back for a while ...so I am sorry if this is little too long as usual)

Cyclinglady has given you good advise as she always does.

I admit ...I see stomach acid as the cause of many GI issues or at least an associated condition.

I saw this research and probably over reacted (as I sometimes do) on sciencedirect.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/pernicious-anemia

Even in this referenced topic on PA ...they are all over the board ...some recognize it as an auto-immune disease and some articles attribute it to the associated low stomach acid.

The answer may be somewhere in the middle as it often is. ...

I had PA years ago. ...I had to take a FABB tablet religously and when I began taking something for my low stomach acid ..I haven't had a B-12 issue since.

I can vividly remember having to wake up in the middle of the night ....as my whole side would tingle ....like my nerves where on fire ...two to three times a night often.

This got better when I treated my low stomach acid with BetaineHCL capulses.

That said, ,, Crispy Chick ...your concerns are valid ones ...and why like you (I said to myself) if I do have low stomach acid misdiagnosed/undiagnosed what else could be causing it.

that lead me to Prousky's research on how to treat low stomach acid naturally.

here is his research.

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2001/articles/2001-v16n04-p225.shtml

It is 15+ years old .. and it only apply to hypochlorhydria aka low stomach ...but if PA is linked then using Niacin aka Nicotnic Acid in 50mg or 100mg doses with meals will help your gastritis if it is caused by hypochlorhyria or no stomach acid (aka achlorhydria)

This is much easier on the stomach and safer ....and many celia'cs are low in B-Vitamins to begin with so yo might even try a Co-enzymic B-vitamin if you can't find a low mg like less than 100mg max Niacin or a Niacin as Niacinamide.

I Have summarized the best ways to take B-Vitamins here. ..they help us with our stress.

https://www.celiac.com/blogs/entry/2109-whos-afraid-of-a-b-vitamin-you-neednt-bee-a-faq-on-niacinamide-and-how-to-take-niacinamide-and-why-you-would-want-to-in-the-first-place/

2x with meals or with each  meal is easiest and best to way to take because frequency is more important than the amount because B-vitamins are water soluble at least 2 a day is best.

I must end for now...but you needn't bee afraid of an enzymic B-vitamin because they are in the bodies natural form....like a natural methyl form of folate instead of folic acid etc.

I hope this is helpful but it is not  medical advise.

Posterboy,