• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jamiet06

Confusion with histology report

Rate this topic

Hi,

I recently had an endoscopy and the following was part of the report:

B. Duodenal biopsy: Duodenal mucosa with mild intra-epithelial lymphocytosis in the presence of normal villous architecture. Comment: Findings are non-specific. They can be seen in coeliac disease, peptic or medication induced injury and H.pylori infection among others. Correlation with clinical findings and results of serological studies is recommended.

So my question is, do I have coeliac disease. I don't have peptic or medication induced injury or H.pylori infection.

I often suffer from nausea and gas but that's about it.

I was hoping someone here could help me out.

Thanks

The GI suggests you may have celiac or some other condition.  Your biopsy shows some signs of celiac but it is not severe enough damage to be a clear diagnosis.  So he suggests you get serological (blood antibodies) testing.  Usually the blood antibodies are the first thing people do, then the endoscopy.

If your blood antibodies confirm anti-gliaden is present, then it sounds like he will diagnose you with celiac disease. 

If you are being tested for celiac disease, you should be eating gluten every day until the testing is completed.

Thank you for your reply. I have an appointment booked with my GP so will discuss with him. I just found it funny the guys who did the endoscopy didn't follow this up. It was just in my report and that was it.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Yeah, a little a little strange.  A GI can order the blood antibody tests.  Do ask for the full celiac antibody panel.  They sometimes just do a single antibody test and it doesn't catch all people.  There are DGP IgA and DGP IgG tests that should be done.  Also total serum IgA and an EMA test is good to have also.