Rate this topic

Day 13 Gluten free. My original symptoms of nausea, dizziness and general malice are elevated???! I feel dreadful. With headache on top. Day 13 - withdrawl really??? Or is it proof gluten is not my problem all along? Still awaiting biopsy results..... 

It is normal to have continuing symptoms for quite a while after going gluten-free.  Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition.  The immune system does not stop making antibodies the minute you go gluten-free. It may continue to produce antibodies as long as it wants.  But probably it will taper them off after a month or so.  But everyone's body varies.

Of course if you accidientally get some gluten cross contamination the immune attack will just keep going.  Or start back up in force.

If you can stay 100% gluten-free then you should start noticng improvements after a month or so,  But it takes time to heal the body and repair the villi.  So your digestion may be off off for quite a while.  It can help to reduce/eliminate carbs and sugars from you diet, including dairy.  Also stick with a very simple diet of meats. veggies, nuts and eggs.  No oats.

After 6 months of that try slowly expanding your diet to include baked goods, dairy, and oats.  We all heal at our own rate and there is on way for us to know  how fast your body will recover or how gluten-free you will be.

I went through withdrawals from gluten for the first 2 weeks. Headaches, mood swings, and the feeling like I wanted to gnaw on something. After you get gluten completely out of your system, you should start to feel better. This could take up to a month (and only if you don't make any mistakes). If you accidentally ingest gluten, your reaction will now probably be more extreme than it used to be.

For about a month, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck, a really really big truck. Aches like the worst flu of my life, but no coughing/sneezing.  Just awful.  Drink lots and lots of water, that's the only thing that seemed to help me, and just laid low for awhile.

I immediately felt better a few days after accidentally taking gluten out of my diet. When I went back to my, at the time, regular diet I immediately got sick again. That's how we initially realized I had a problem with eating gluten.

Are you getting the same amount of carbohydrates just in a different form? Like rice, potatoes,corn, ect..  I've had the symptoms you've described when we've tried very low carb or no carb ketogenic type diets for weight loss.

If you noticed improvements in some symptoms when you don't have gluten but not an improvement in others maybe your sensitivities are to herbicides. Wheat has some of the highest concentrations of herbicide residue compared to other grains and food plants. Some people cut gluten out of their diet thinking they have a gluten sensitivity, but find if they eat organic gluten products they don't have any problems. Another thing to consider you could have multiple food sensitivities or allergies. It seems more common for people with gluten sensitivities to also have issues with dairy or additional foods.

Also with the chronic acid reflux it sounded like you might have some damage to your esophagus and stomach. Your stomach will probably be overly sensitive to everything until it can heal especially to acidic foods or caffeine. Maybe look into combining GERD friendly diet with your gluten free menu.