• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Anyone ever had a problem with Tropicana pure premium  OJ with calcium and VD3. I ate some chicken that want marinade In it. The product line was 48 and no ingredients that are questionable. When I contacted Tropicana they said that the product is inherently gluten free however they do not test there products. I dont know how to take that and I am worried because we are on vacation 

It is gluten free.  

The company can not say the juice is gluten free because they did not test it to see if it is under 20 ppm.  Gluten has never been added to orange juice in my experience.  

Enjoy your vacation!  

I have never seen gluten in OJ.  Some companies lawyers have told them, that unless they test a product, they cannot print gluten-free on the package.  I have seen companies that will put gluten-free on something like OJ and not test it.  They don’t legally have to test it if it has no gluten ingredients or reasonable chance of accidental gluten.  

Why not test it?  Well, testing costs money.  They would have to the raise the price or take it out of profits.  Most people - probably at least 90%- don’t care if OJ is gluten-free or not.  So they won’t pay extra for that extra testing.