This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Worried About The Cost Of gluten-free Foods

chrissy

chrissy Collaborator

i am really starting to worry about the cost of feeding my kids gluten-free. we have such a large family, and it already seems like i barely have enough money to feed them. i am thinking i should get a new grain mill for gluten free grinding. i ground bean flour once a few years ago and it was so bitter. is this the way bean flour tastes, or should i be using only a certain type of bean for grinding? i think i used small white navy beans. i am sure there have got to be ways to bring the costs down---but since i'm so new at this, i hardly know where to start.

christine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

There is really no difference in the way you eat on gluten-free except you exclude all wheat and wheat gluten items. You can get rice noodles, make stir frys using corn starch, corn starch in gravy is good. You can still have stews and chili. If you want cereals there is envirokids which Koala crisps and Gorilla munch are gluten-free and very good and not that expensive. You can wrestle up lots of recipes that are gluten-free and if you have a bread maker you can make gluten-free bread. Which can be quite good depending on the mix or get some of the Bette Hagman's books, great recipes in there. Usually you make pastry, cookies, etc. with a mix of flours like bean, soy, potato starch, potato flour, corn starch etc. You can eat corn tortilla's. So basically it doesn't really cost a lot, just make sure you read the labels. I have emailed many companies or called their toll free numbers to get whether they contain wheat or wheat glutens.

key Contributor

WE have been gluten-free for nine months now and that is for my son and I. I think initially it is alot more expensive, because I wanted to substitute alot of things for the regular, but I am finding now that I have cut back alot on spending with this diet. We don't eat alot of bread and we stick to our favorite substitutes for gluten-free cooking. I will list them real quick.

Kinnikinnick englis muffins

Kinnikinnick mini pizza crusts(my son and I are the only one's to eat them)

Tinkyada pasta

Pamela's Pancake and baking mix

This is really about it now. We are vegetarian too, so we eat alot of soups, Brown rice and beans, taco salads with Fritoes, corn tortilla's, salads, spaghetti, yogurt, regular mainstream foods. I use Bryers icecream, m&m's and cheetos as his treats and snacks. Also nuts for me.

I don't buy alot of gluten-free snack foods and we don't eat a ton of bread. WE eat alot of the Pamela's mix though and that is expensive, because I am not going to make something different for my other two kids in the morning.

HOpe this helps. Try not to do like I did and go crazy trying alot of nasty gluten-free products.

Monica

RiceGuy Collaborator

The stuff that really costs more is the "designer foods". Ordinary things like fresh veggies, fruits, etc are easier to buy. Naturally gluten-free, and better for you anyway. If you make a habit of eating prepackaged stuff or specialty foods, you'll spend way more. Of course, the brand, and where you buy also effect price. The more you can make from scratch, the more cost effective it can get. Also consider that if you are getting enough nutrients from food, you won't feel as hungry, and you won't need to buy so many suppliments, if any.

Rusla Enthusiast

The other problem with designer foods along with cost is a possibility of being glutened. Making it myself I know what it was near and what is in it and I won't be glutened. I accidently got glutened today because I think the last person on this desk had bread crumbs.

Guest CD_Surviver

for us at our health food store if you order bulk like a case of some thing and have a card we can get 10% off of the order and if we buy something out of the store with the card we get 3% off of the item maybe you can find a store that has a systen that is similar.

Lauren

tarnalberry Community Regular

I just want to echo the sentiments that sticking to whole, unprocessed, naturally gluten-free foods, the diet needn't be expensive. Rice and beans are good filling staples that can form the basis of many meals, and are cheap. Fresh fruits and vegetables needn't be expensive, particularly if you stick to what's on sale. If you eat meats, you can use gluten-free grains and legumes, along with vegetables, to stretch the more expensive meat.

Not only are specialty gluten-free foods expensive, they're not *necessary*. I'm not saying you should go without, merely saying that they shouldn't be a staple. That may rule out sandwhiches as a staple in a gluten-free diet (unless you find that you can grind your own grains and make the bread from scratch cheaply), but that's ok, because there are other options. (The list is limitless...)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I posted this in it's own topic before, but wanted to put it here to remind people that there are a bunch of things you can eat that are naturally gluten-free and it is Cheaper and Healthier to cook this way.

Naturally Gluten Free Menu Suggestions

Any fresh fruit and vegetables, Any whole, unadulterated meats: Fish, Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Rice, Beans, Potatoes, Whole Cheeses (American, Cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella, Cream Cheese, etc...)

cook with pure butter, olive oil, canola oil, corn oil and pure seasonings. McCormick will clearly label Wheat, oats, Barley, or Rye) salt and pepper. Hellemans Real Mayonnaise, French's Mustard.

Breakfast: Fresh fruit , Yoplait yogurt (read labels but most Yoplait is gluten-free), Scrambled Eggs, Grits, Post Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Pebbles in a bowl w/ milk, Bacon and Sausage (Hormel lists safe ones on their website), Hash Browns (Ore Ida and Cascadian Farms label clearly if there is Wheat, Oats, Barley, or Rye), Omelets made with eggs, and cheese and whatever fresh veggies you like (and sausage if gluten-free)

Lunch: Salads with all kinds of toppings like, tuna fish (read labels), chicken, Hormel pepperoni, gluten-free deli meats (most Boar's Head meats are safe just ask deli to clean slicer before slicing yours), Hard Boiled Eggs, Cooked ground beef... (Kraft Salad dressings will be clearly labeled if there is WBRO and Annie's Naturals has some awesome dressings, the ones that are gluten-free are clearly labeled gluten-free on the back of the bottle)

Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Hormel Beanies and Weenies, Oscar Meyer or Applegate Farms Hot Dogs wrapped in Mission Corn Tortillas with American Cheese, Baked potato stuffed with steamed broccoli and melted cheddar cheese and Hormel bacon bits, Nachos made with Tostitos or Santitas chips, and shredded cheddar cheese.

Dinner: Baked Chicken, Pork Chops, Steaks, Tacos, (Ortega and Old El Paso Corn Taco Shells are safe), Enchiladas made with Chicken, Beef, Refried Beans or just cheese (Pace Enchilada Sauce is safe), Homemade Chili, Fish: broiled baked or grilled, Shepherd's Pie (mashed potatoes, ground beef, veggies, cheese), Steamed veggies and steamed rice with a meat or without, Baked Ham (do not buy pre glazed hams), Turkey, Oven Fried Chicken using instant Mashed potato flakes and seasonings, Fried fish fillets using pure corn meal as your coating (dip in egg, roll in cornmeal and seasonings), Pot Roast with pork or beef carrots potatoes mushrooms onions and seasonings cooked in oven roasting bag or in Crock Pot.

Snacks: Fresh Fruit, Fresh Veggies, Frito Lay's Stax, Cheetos, Fritos, Tostitos, Funyons, Popcorn (air popped is best but if you like microwave popcorn there are several brands that are safe always check labels or contact the company), Yogurt (Yoplait will clearly label WOBR) Cheeses

Desserts: Philly Swirl Italian Ice Cups and Italian Ice sticks, Mayfield Brown Cow and Fudge Pops, Hershey's chocoate bars, Hershey's kisses, M&M's, Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar and butter, Baked Apples

I hope this gives you some ideas, this is just a small sample of foods that are naturally gluten free. Read labels and if you think something MAY be safe, contact the company to verify. Remember, ingredients do change so always read labels, the products listed are only examples, I'm sure there are other brands that may be safe too, again, contact the manufacturer for verification of gluten-free status. Also, many foreign dishes may be naturally gluten free as well, don't be afraid to experiment with new recipes. Another tip: Cook in large quantities, put leftovers into individual sized reusable/disposable containers and freeze for quick microwaveable meals.

chrissy Collaborator

thanks, nini, for posting the menu ideas again, and thanks everyone for all the ideas. it is so much easier to know what you can eat rather than worrying about what you can't eat. knowing specific brand names that are gluten-free is pretty helpful, too.

christine

Archived