• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

AllDayEveryDay

Type 2 Diabetes & Celiac

Rate this topic

Hello! I posted here some after my celiac diagnosis years ago but have new email so have new login!

It's been quite the journey the past few years and in the celiac department. Thankfully, things are great. All was well with whole foods, lots of walking, and then BAM due to plain ol "bad genes" (haha) I have type 2 diabetes. Even my doctor was surprised. I eat so well and exercise and "in the zone" as far as fitness and health.

My challenge is that I'm stuck. It's like I can't eat enough after I eliminated the grains that I know cause a big blood sugar rise. Rice is killing me even the brown rice. Corn is better but not much. I'm also watching cholesterol and am allergic to shellfish. 

Is there a way to search the forums? Does anyone know of any great websites? 

Can I eat too many almonds? I find myself grabbing them all day long. Common sense says to live on meat and veggies. I can do that too, I suppose. 

Thank you!

Consider a Low Carb, High Fat, Keto or fasting diet (gluten free of course.  

I have been able to keep my HA1c in the 5% range for four years following a LCHF diet.  This means not consuming grains on a regular basis (vacations exempt!), less fruit and veggies grown above the ground.  

I am fasting now.  Just making sure I do not eat for 12 hours after dinner and no snacking after meals.  Just like I did as a kid!  I still stick to low carbs and avoid hunger by consuming fats that do not increase my blood sugar.  

Consider buying a cheap blood glucose meter at Walmart and some strips.  You might be shocked at what increases your blood sugar (test 1 and 2 hours after first bite of food).  I have learned that what increases my blood sugar may not affect yours.  Everyone is slightly different.  

Jenny Ruhl has a good website called Blood Sugar 101.  She sells nothing that she does not offer for free on her website.  I bought her book for an Uncle who never goes on the internet.

I do not worry about cholesterol.  I think we have been sold a bill of goods on it.   I think sugar is way worse in terms of heart disease and diabetes.  Research this topic.

32 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Consider a Low Carb, High Fat, Keto or fasting diet (gluten free of course.  

I have been able to keep my HA1c in the 5% range for four years following a LCHF diet.  This means not consuming grains on a regular basis (vacations exempt!), less fruit and veggies grown above the ground.  

I am fasting now.  Just making sure I do not eat for 12 hours after dinner and no snacking after meals.  Just like I did as a kid!  I still stick to low carbs and avoid hunger by consuming fats that do not increase my blood sugar.  

Consider buying a cheap blood glucose meter at Walmart and some strips.  You might be shocked at what increases your blood sugar (test 1 and 2 hours after first bite of food).  I have learned that what increases my blood sugar may not affect yours.  Everyone is slightly different.  

Jenny Ruhl has a good website called Blood Sugar 101.  She sells nothing that she does not offer for free on her website.  I bought her book for an Uncle who never goes on the internet.

I do not worry about cholesterol.  I think we have been sold a bill of goods on it.   I think sugar is way worse in terms of heart disease and diabetes.  Research this topic.

Thank you for your reply!

Here is a little more detail: I already eat super low carb (under 100 grams per day) and sugars are under 20. I agree about vacation!!! I walk three miles almost every day. I hadn't considered my snacking. OK well I *had* considered it but you know how that goes! FUnny thing is that I told myself I needed it to keep my blood sugar up. Oh that irony.

I got a glucose meter last week and was astonished at what the flippin' six Luke's rice/millet/amaranth crackers I ate did to my sugar level. I've tried a few brown rice crackers twice and it's been a bust both times. I think this is why I'm so frustrated. 

I tend to agree with you about the cholesterol because the rest of my lipid panel is great and my triglycerides are super great. I definitely need to research this more and will look into the website. 

Again, thanks!