• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Hoffm252

Celiac tests for 2 Year old

Rate this topic

Hello! 

I am new here but suspect that my 2 year old has issues with gluten.

Background- Both my husband and I have found that we feel (and look) much healthier when on a gluten free diet and we both have eat gluten free, and have for 7 years. Unfortunately, I have never been tested for Celiac because- although I saw different doctors for my issues (IBS, migraines, lack of a menstrual cycle and cystic acne) NOT ONE DOCTOR ever mentioned Celiac or gluten sensitivity as a possibility. I never knew a test for this even existed. A stranger randomly told me to try eating gluten free when she overheard me complaining about my acne and the rest is history. Every issue I had righted itself on a gluten free diet. 

Now we are noticing some symptoms with our 2 year old after she consumes gluten. Mainly problems sleeping soundly (sometime she wakes up screaming the night after she ate it) and constipation and pain when she has a bowel movement. 

We mentioned it to a general pediatrician and he said she can’t get tested till 4 years old- is this true? He said her immune system isn’t fully developed yet and it may come back incorrect.

Can/should we do an elimination and reintroduction of gluten?

Any other tips or experience you’ve had would be very helpful! Thank you in advance! 

If the tests come back as negative, then retest in six months to a year.  Some kids take longer to develop antibodies, but you will never know until you try.  

Consider a gluten challenge for yourself.  It will definitely help you, your family and even medical (future issues).  I know with my diagnosis, our family doctor has not hesitated to retest my kid even without symptoms nor has insurance denied it.  

I would push for testing before going gluten free.