This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ginger beer

mbrookes

mbrookes Community Regular

I have tried to check on my on, but I can't find out whether or not ginger beer is gluten free. Does anyone know?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

What brand of ginger beer are you asking about?

kareng Grand Master

I would say, in general, they are gluten-free.  They are not actual “ beer” - they are sodas.  But I would read the ingredients,  as sometimes these old fashioned sodas are , in rare instances, made with barley malt syrup.  

gluten-free in DC and Kareng, thanks. You might have guessed, I'm trying to see if I can drink a Moscow Mule. My buddies all love them.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Make sure that bar glass is clean (run through a dishwasher and not just dunked into water to remove bacteria (but not gluten which is sticky).  When in doubt I ask for a plastic cup especially when the bar is busy.  

Distilled vodka should be gluten free.  Some celiacs are sensitive and prefer vodka made from potatoes.  Your choice!  

Thanks, Cyclinglady. I do fine with regular vodka… in fact I'm having a vodka-diet tonic right now. I guess I am drawn to the cool copper cups, but I just wanted to try a Moscow Mule. Our regular bar knows me and my health issues and they take real good care of me. The work "beer" had me spooked. I used to be a bad beer snob, but Celiac has cured me of that.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Ah, there is hope.  Someday travel to Portland, Oregon.  Eat and drink at Ground Breaker gluten-free brewery.  So nice to be able to sample all their products!  

https://www.groundbreakerbrewing.com/

There is even a dedicated gluten-free bakery just a few blocks away.  Nice to dine at both.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Or ghostfish in Seattle or Alt  Brew in Madison , Wi or New Fermentation in Tulsa, or Hollidaily in Golden, Co.....

Edited by kareng

Wow. I hope y'all realize how lucky you are. I live in Jackson, the capital of Mississippi and although I dearly love MS and would not want to live anywhere else, we are a tad late on the "newest". We have wonderful restaurants, and most of them can feed me with no trouble. Unfortunately, Redbridge is about it for beer. (Yuck!!!!!) I have become a wine and cocktail drinker, but I would love to have access to a gluten-free beer that actually tastes like beer.

kareng Grand Master
46 minutes ago, mbrookes said:

Wow. I hope y'all realize how lucky you are. I live in Jackson, the capital of Mississippi and although I dearly love MS and would not want to live anywhere else, we are a tad late on the "newest". We have wonderful restaurants, and most of them can feed me with no trouble. Unfortunately, Redbridge is about it for beer. (Yuck!!!!!) I have become a wine and cocktail drinker, but I would love to have access to a gluten-free beer that actually tastes like beer.

If you really want good beer - you can order Ghostfish ( if your state allows).  It costs as much to ship as the beer - but it’s a nice birthday present.  Also, Glutenberg and Groundbreaker and Ghostfish keep adding states that you can get them in.  If it’s available in your state, you can get your liquor store to order it for you.   

cyclinglady Grand Master

Ghostfish.  Been there too.  We love the Pacific Northwest.  ? Lots of gluten-free options!  

My local liquor store actually carries Groundbreaker.  Not cheap, but it is fun to drink a cold gluten-free beer ? on a hot ☀️summer day. ?‍♀️

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I always have some Zevia Ginger Beer in my house, never had issues with it.  Does not really taste like a beer, but I like it. >,< Beer has always made me sick so the taste is disgusting to my palette anyway.