• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have tried to check on my on, but I can't find out whether or not ginger beer is gluten free. Does anyone know?

I would say, in general, they are gluten-free.  They are not actual “ beer” - they are sodas.  But I would read the ingredients,  as sometimes these old fashioned sodas are , in rare instances, made with barley malt syrup.  

gluten-free in DC and Kareng, thanks. You might have guessed, I'm trying to see if I can drink a Moscow Mule. My buddies all love them.

Make sure that bar glass is clean (run through a dishwasher and not just dunked into water to remove bacteria (but not gluten which is sticky).  When in doubt I ask for a plastic cup especially when the bar is busy.  

Distilled vodka should be gluten free.  Some celiacs are sensitive and prefer vodka made from potatoes.  Your choice!  

Thanks, Cyclinglady. I do fine with regular vodka… in fact I'm having a vodka-diet tonic right now. I guess I am drawn to the cool copper cups, but I just wanted to try a Moscow Mule. Our regular bar knows me and my health issues and they take real good care of me. The work "beer" had me spooked. I used to be a bad beer snob, but Celiac has cured me of that.

Ah, there is hope.  Someday travel to Portland, Oregon.  Eat and drink at Ground Breaker gluten-free brewery.  So nice to be able to sample all their products!  

https://www.groundbreakerbrewing.com/

There is even a dedicated gluten-free bakery just a few blocks away.  Nice to dine at both.  

Or ghostfish in Seattle or Alt  Brew in Madison , Wi or New Fermentation in Tulsa, or Hollidaily in Golden, Co.....

Edited by kareng

Wow. I hope y'all realize how lucky you are. I live in Jackson, the capital of Mississippi and although I dearly love MS and would not want to live anywhere else, we are a tad late on the "newest". We have wonderful restaurants, and most of them can feed me with no trouble. Unfortunately, Redbridge is about it for beer. (Yuck!!!!!) I have become a wine and cocktail drinker, but I would love to have access to a gluten-free beer that actually tastes like beer.

46 minutes ago, mbrookes said:

Wow. I hope y'all realize how lucky you are. I live in Jackson, the capital of Mississippi and although I dearly love MS and would not want to live anywhere else, we are a tad late on the "newest". We have wonderful restaurants, and most of them can feed me with no trouble. Unfortunately, Redbridge is about it for beer. (Yuck!!!!!) I have become a wine and cocktail drinker, but I would love to have access to a gluten-free beer that actually tastes like beer.

If you really want good beer - you can order Ghostfish ( if your state allows).  It costs as much to ship as the beer - but it’s a nice birthday present.  Also, Glutenberg and Groundbreaker and Ghostfish keep adding states that you can get them in.  If it’s available in your state, you can get your liquor store to order it for you.   

Ghostfish.  Been there too.  We love the Pacific Northwest.  🏕 Lots of gluten-free options!  

My local liquor store actually carries Groundbreaker.  Not cheap, but it is fun to drink a cold gluten-free beer 🍺 on a hot ☀️summer day. 🚴‍♀️

I always have some Zevia Ginger Beer in my house, never had issues with it.  Does not really taste like a beer, but I like it. >,< Beer has always made me sick so the taste is disgusting to my palette anyway.