• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Arem

DNA test said I have a slight predisposition to celiac.

Rate this topic

Recently I took a DNA test through 23 and me. Among other things, it said I have a slight predisposition to celiac. I'd like to find out whether I should be eating gluten or not. I don't any of the typical symptoms like bloating or diarrhea. Still, I'd like to know if gluten might be causing some damage that's not readily noticeable. What kind of doctor would be best suited to help me out? I found some genetic counselors in my area but my insurance does not cover them.

1 hour ago, Arem said:

Recently I took a DNA test through 23 and me. Among other things, it said I have a slight predisposition to celiac. I'd like to find out whether I should be eating gluten or not. I don't any of the typical symptoms like bloating or diarrhea. Still, I'd like to know if gluten might be causing some damage that's not readily noticeable. What kind of doctor would be best suited to help me out? I found some genetic counselors in my area but my insurance does not cover them.

Those tests!  Ugh!

About  30% of people have a gene for Celiac.  But only 1-2 % actually have Celiac. If you have symptoms- get tested.  Otherwise live your life and enjoy gluten.  

Let’s hope that future insurance companies do not hold those 23 and Me  results (shoddy at best) against you.  Do you already have life insurance? Let’s hope Obama Care is not rescinded!  

Watch this video about identical twins (one was a reporter for the Canadian News) who received different results from several companies about this very subject:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dna-ancestry-kits-twins-marketplace-1.4980976

If you suspect celiac disease, your Primary Care Physician can order antibodies tests:

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faqs/

Do NOT stop eating gluten until all testing is complete!