• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Theresa2407

antibiotics after knee replacement

Rate this topic

I have had 2 knee replacements and am suppose to take antibiotics before dental appointments.

First I was on Clindamycin, caused throwing up and horrible taste for days on end.

Next Cephalexin; more throwing up, bloating, chest pains, muscle pain.

Now they want to use Levofloxacin.  Not finding it on the gluten-free drug list.

Have any of you experienced this problem with Celiac?

From all I have read, the meds aren't necessary,  Any options?

23 minutes ago, Theresa2407 said:

I have had 2 knee replacements and am suppose to take antibiotics before dental appointments.

First I was on Clindamycin, caused throwing up and horrible taste for days on end.

Now they want to use Levofloxacin.  Not finding it on the gluten-free drug list.

Please read up on Levofloxacin.  It has a FDA black box warning.  I developed neuropathies years ago (imagine a bee buzzing inside your foot causing electric jolts) after taking it (given to me in the hospital).  The worse side effect is spontaneous snapping tendons.  Just make sure this type of antibiotic (quinones family) is worth the risk.  

I think taking antibiotics as a preventative may be old school.  They no longer give them and my hubby had extensive surgery last year.  No antibiotics were given at all.  

Hi, I am a long time dental assistant. We prescribe Amoxycillin for premeds if no penicillin allergy. But, the recommendation now from the Alberta Dental Association is no premeds needed after 2 yrs. 

On 6/27/2019 at 2:23 PM, Theresa2407 said:

8 hours ago, Therjes said:

Hi, I am a long time dental assistant. We prescribe Amoxycillin for premeds if no penicillin allergy. But, the recommendation now from the Alberta Dental Association is no premeds needed after 2 yrs. 

I have had both knees replaced (2008, 2013) and my dentist and surgeon still require premeds. I take amoxycillin. Better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion.