Jump to content
  • Sign Up
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

bails74

Do you want to eat gluten again?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I've been eating a gluten free diet for a long time now.  In the beginning I didn't mind eating gluten free because the pain of eating gluten was too much.  I wouldn't go anywhere near anything with gluten and you couldn't pay me to do it.  But I've been doing a lot of things to help improve my digestion and I have eaten things with wheat in them (small amounts) and gotten away with it.  I don't think I could ever go back to eating wheat again consistently even if I could tolerate it.  But there's some high gluten foods that I do miss and I would have them occasionally if I could.  

Just wondering if I'm alone on this. Anyone else out there that would eat gluten occasionally if you could?  Or are you never going to touch anything with Gluten in it ever again even if you could get away with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bails74 said:

I've been eating a gluten free diet for a long time now.  In the beginning I didn't mind eating gluten free because the pain of eating gluten was too much.  I wouldn't go anywhere near anything with gluten and you couldn't pay me to do it.  But I've been doing a lot of things to help improve my digestion and I have eaten things with wheat in them (small amounts) and gotten away with it.  I don't think I could ever go back to eating wheat again consistently even if I could tolerate it.  But there's some high gluten foods that I do miss and I would have them occasionally if I could.  

Just wondering if I'm alone on this. Anyone else out there that would eat gluten occasionally if you could?  Or are you never going to touch anything with Gluten in it ever again even if you could get away with it?

I think it depends on why you are gluten free.  People with Celiac should not consume gluten because it sets off an auto immune reaction.  

If you went gluten-free because of FODMAPS, then you should be able to get away with small amounts of wheat- especially if you balance the amount of FODMAP in your other food.

if you went gluten for some other reason, maybe the reason has gone away?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kareng said:

I think it depends on why you are gluten free.  People with Celiac should not consume gluten because it sets off an auto immune reaction.  

If you went gluten-free because of FODMAPS, then you should be able to get away with small amounts of wheat- especially if you balance the amount of FODMAP in your other food.

if you went gluten for some other reason, maybe the reason has gone away?  

For me personally, I did an elimination diet that excluded wheat/gluten.  As soon as I ate something with wheat in it I had an immediate reaction.  My eyes started watering and I was sneezing.  For the next week my body was all achy.  I had bad headaches.  I lacked energy.   After that I cut out wheat/gluten.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a bucket list of gluten foods for my family to bring me on my death bed -_-. But I would not eat them unless I was dying anyway.
I have found Gluten free version of everything, harder is when you can not have starches to simulate that gooy texture or sugars....I do some fun things every now and then making baked goods with 2-6tbsp of psyllium husk in them to make them gooy like a raw gooy yeasty gluten dough. I also found flavor drops from oooflavors for Sourdough bread, rye bread, wheat bread, pizza, squaw bread, cinnamon rolls, etc. I add to my gluten and grain free versions to make them at least taste accurate. My gluten free cookies are just as good as the gluten and full carb ones even if my one low carb. My almond butters are a godly treat, I even made dead on accurate lemon squares, brownies, waffles, pancakes, and doughnuts. Decent breaks, bagels, and buns, and the perfect dressing bread for making thanksgiving dressing.  Heck I even ones made a montecristo using store bought low carb almond based breads still would love to be able to eat the ones from cheddar's.

I think the thing I really miss most is just going out to eat at a restaurant and not having to worry about being made sick -_-.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bails74 said:

For me personally, I did an elimination diet that excluded wheat/gluten.  As soon as I ate something with wheat in it I had an immediate reaction.  My eyes started watering and I was sneezing.  For the next week my body was all achy.  I had bad headaches.  I lacked energy.   After that I cut out wheat/gluten.   

Maybe you should consider getting tested for a wheat allergy (IgE response).   Your symptoms sound more like an allergy and not gluten intolerance.  I am not a doctor, but I get your symptoms when I am around cats or horses.  I do not think you need to be on wheat to get tested (skin) I like getting tested for celiac disease.  At least then you might be able to consume rye or barley.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/wheat-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20378897

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Maybe you should consider getting tested for a wheat allergy (IgE response).   Your symptoms sound more like an allergy and not gluten intolerance.  I am not a doctor, but I get your symptoms when I am around cats or horses.  I do not think you need to be on wheat to get tested (skin) I like getting tested for celiac disease.  At least then you might be able to consume rye or barley.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/wheat-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20378897

Thanks for that suggestion.  I'm going to get tested for that.   I have been tested for celiac but it came back negative.   I know there are a lot of people that are Gluten Intolerant that no test will pick up anything however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...