• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Iiv

Diamine oxidase deficiency in untreated celiac patients

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, trents said:

Live, does the h1 make you sleepy? Why not some of the newer antihistamines (like Zyrtec) that aren't so sedative? Do they not have the same beneficial effect for the the symptoms you are treating?

No, I use desloratadin. A very friendly Antihistamine h1. No side effects at all, not even in higher doses. Not that I know. 

The h2 blocker, ranitidin takes off the edge off the rest of the histamine fatigue. It's as if I am being pumped with energy as it sets in. Hence it feels useless to take h2 at bedtime for me, when I can use the energy for other things than sleeping.  

Cetrizine makes me really tired though. 

you can take h1 & h2 twice a day, or not.  I tried (zyrtek/ranitidine <I use zantac 75 but I break it into lower doses) doing this but it didn't make any difference, better or worse.  you can also try 2 different antihistamines.  some people use ketotifen.....  I do not.  I tried it but didn't make anything different, so....

my daughter and my brother both use the h1 & h2 but not the same times as I do, bc they experimented and are doing what works for them.  neither one of them uses the nasalcrom, but they both use a benzo as a stabilizer.

lolz - I have tons of stuff, digestive enzymes to probiotics to allergy meds to supplements (I really should throw some stuff out they are sooo old) that worked for a little while but then I guess my body changed/didn't need them/needed something different.   so, that is also a fun part of this (not) and honestly, on the spectrum/range of symptoms and problems, I am on the low symptom side.  people who have it worse are on i.v. meds or have anaphalactic <sp) responses that they hafta have an epi pen.  they have reactions to scents, sunlight, temperature, stress, all sorts of things that land them in the emergency room. (I have oral allergy syndrome, it likes to flare up when i'm on vacation where pollen is different than where I live, so that's also fun 🙄 but not all the time.  I keep benedryl in my purse for that.  the first time was scary, felt like I was eating itchy glass.)  

so, in the grand scheme of things, I say thank you God for making this not as bad as it could be.   

oh, and I forgot to answer your question, liv - I have been on h1 & h2 for about 3 years and i'm not worried about being addicted?  the Flonase has steroids in it, so that concerns me.  but not enough to skip it :D do some experimenting, keep some notes, do the things.  you don't need a scope to be celiac and by staying gluten free, your body could change and you may not have the histamine issue or maybe less of them.

5 hours ago, trents said:

Live, does the h1 make you sleepy? Why not some of the newer antihistamines (like Zyrtec) that aren't so sedative? Do they not have the same beneficial effect for the the symptoms you are treating?

I think you are confusing 1st generation antihistamines (drowsy) vs. 2nd  generation antihistamines (non-drowsy). 

Learn difference between H1 and H2 here:

https://www.amboss.com/us/knowledge/Antihistamines

I took both H1 and H2 antihistamines as prescribed by my doctor/allergist because my stomach actually hurts before I break out in hives, swell, vomit or pass out.  I still keep a first generation antihistamine in my purse (Benadryl).  I will take drowsy over swelling.  It seems to work faster for me.  Luckily, my triggers are usually medications and insect bites. 

But by avoiding gluten at all costs, I have not had an attack in a year!  

I am not sure I am communicating well at all!  🙃

The example you gave, Zyrtec, is an H1 antihistamine, but is considered second generation.  It does not cause drowsiness as much as the older first-generation antihistamines like Benadryl.  H2 antihistamines are acid reducers for the stomach.  They work on reducing or blocking histamine receptors in the stomach and other areas in the body.  

There was a study that showed that 1st generation antihistamines do cross the blood brain barrier and might be linked to dementia.  Not sure if that is true, but moderation and working with your medical team is your best bet.  No medication is risk free.  

Did I answer it correctly or I still not understanding?  I can share that I am horrible at texting per my kid!  

CL, thanks for the clarification. I was asking liv if the h1 she was taking was making her drowsy and assuming she was using one of the first generation antihistamines. But I was confused about the h2 not being a second generation antihistamine. 

1 hour ago, notme! said:

Notme! 

Yes, I'll experiment some. At this time I'm pleased with desloratadin and ranitidin. But mixing might work well in emergencies, and I'll add the nasal and maybe eyedrops too. 

My aim is to keep the levels low enough with food. And hopefully I won't have these issues in a couple of years, but I have to assume I will. 

It's sad that you're on your own with this. At least I know I'm deficent, it's great to be able to explain to people why I'm not feeling well. But if your family is struggling with the same thing, at least you'll have understanding from them. 

I too react to scents, especially if I have pain in sinuses and neck. But not being hospitalized for it. Just worsening the pain and nausea.