• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

clarareese

Burning Muscle Pain, Burning Rash

Rate this topic

A symptom or symptoms I've been having particularly in the last year are this burning pain in my muscles--usually my extremities, eg. my arms and legs, but I've also felt this in my chest--as well as this burning rash accompanied sometimes by red, swollen flesh--usually in my feet. Bad enough with each where I couldn't move or walk.

Very little works to alleviate these symptoms. Pain killers don't work, anti-itch cream doesn't work, etc. The only thing that helps is ice, or this Biofreeze stuff I've found at Target or Walmart.

I wanted to bring this up because I hardly see such symptoms mentioned in lists of gluten intolerance/celiac disease symptoms.... Reading up on fibromyalgia it seems like they might be related more to that. In fact, I've recently had some flare ups of these symptoms without having eaten any gluten for a while (months); seemingly stress was more the cause. Yet if I have any notable amount of gluten it will often cause them to come back.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms/issues?

7 hours ago, clarareese said:

A symptom or symptoms I've been having particularly in the last year are this burning pain in my muscles--usually my extremities, eg. my arms and legs, but I've also felt this in my chest--as well as this burning rash accompanied sometimes by red, swollen flesh--usually in my feet. Bad enough with each where I couldn't move or walk.

Very little works to alleviate these symptoms. Pain killers don't work, anti-itch cream doesn't work, etc. The only thing that helps is ice, or this Biofreeze stuff I've found at Target or Walmart.

I wanted to bring this up because I hardly see such symptoms mentioned in lists of gluten intolerance/celiac disease symptoms.... Reading up on fibromyalgia it seems like they might be related more to that. In fact, I've recently had some flare ups of these symptoms without having eaten any gluten for a while (months); seemingly stress was more the cause. Yet if I have any notable amount of gluten it will often cause them to come back.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms/issues?

Reminds me of my magnesium deficiency issues years ago. IN some rare extreme cases it does happen, stress both mental and physical would flare it, I used to go jump in a cold shower to stop it. I later found Epson Salt soaks helped it (the magnesium can be absorbed through the skin. I later started supplementing and still to this day take it it daily. Supplementing depends on bowel habits, if you have D or go at least once a day then magnesium glycinate in the evenings, Doctors Best is what I would use. If you have constipation and do not go once a day then you need magnesium citrate dosed to tolerance. IE you start at 2g (1/4tsp) and up the does 2g each day til you get loose stools, then you lower the dose 2g.

The rash was like little red dots on the pores the burning needle like sensation would move in waves all over it would start in my arms and legs but migrated elsewhere over time.

Magnesium is needed for nerve function and muscle function some other issues that might occur with deficiency are muscle spasms, sleep disturbances, irritability, rapid heartbeat, GI upset, confusion, and sometimes constipation.

Of course it could also be another issue, but several points referenced made me think of this.

clarareese,

I think Ennis_Tx has given you good advise.

Try some Epsom salts ..it sounds like you might have gallstone in your bile duct.

Epsom Salts and Lemon juice can sometimes make it move...the bilirubin build up can cause the itching you are experiencing.  You definitely need to see your doctor if this doesn't help.

I had friend who recently had this ...it is mostly associated with pregnancy but it doesn't have to be. .. .yes she was pregnant and the the time.

Here a couple of articles about it.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/536262-does-lemon-juice-help-pass-gallstones/

https://www.verywellhealth.com/cholestasis-overview-4586590

And take you some Magnesium Glycinate w/or w/out meals or Magnesium Citrate with meals too keep it from coming back.

this study is about the magnesium issue in men to prevent gallstones ...but there is no reason to suspect it wouldn't help women either (if your name is any indication of your gender).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18076730

Ennis_Tx and I talk all the time about how Magnesium helped us all the time ...try the Epsom Salts and the Lemon Juice and see if doesn't  move the stone...it is something simple and easy to do ...if it doesn't definitely help right away see a doctor.

this can also be a reaction to some medicines' so be sure to check the verywell health article to see if you are taking some of these same medicines.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

On 7/15/2019 at 7:32 AM, clarareese said:

Yes, similar at least. 

But in my case it's down to diamine oxidase deficiency, DAO. This means that I have excess histamines running around in my system.. 

You can try and see what happens with your symptoms if you eat antihistamines. If it takes the edge off, then you might have excess histamines too for any reason.