• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

En0u1209

Blood test results - levels of ttg iga

Rate this topic

Hi, 

I have received positive blood test results and was just wondering about ranges.  

My results were 13. The range appears to be 4-10 weakly positive and over 10 positive. From this, I thought my results were pretty indicative of celiac disease. Looking online a lot of people seem to have results in the hundreds. My dr also described them as ‘modest’. On that basis, my results don’t seem that high and may not mean celiac. I’m waiting for an endoscopy so will have a final diagnosis soon. I appreciate people can’t predict the outcome. I was just interested what people thought and if people had similar levels and then a diagnosis. 

Thanks in advance

Hi,

You didn't say what kind of test you had done.  The test was probably the ttg IgA.  That is often used as a screening test.  However it is only one of the type of antibody reactions that they can use to test for celiac disease.  The fulll celiac panel would also have the DGP IgA, DGP IgG, EMA, and total serum IgA antibody tests.

Some more info:  https://celiac.org/about-celiac-disease/screening-and-diagnosis/screening/

A slightly elevated TTG could be something other than celiac disease (like another autoimmune like Crohn’s), but many members have barely elevated numbers and yet have severe small intestinal damage.  

I never even had an elevated TTG even on follow-up testing (only the DGP IgA) and I had moderate to severe patches.  Go figure!  

Keep eating gluten until you get your endoscopy this is critical!  

Just as an update, for anyone searching a similar issue. I have now had my Celiac diagnosis following a positive biopsy result.

Interestingly, my follow-up bloods, which were done at the same time as the endoscopy, had a TTG-IGA level of 147. My Dr suspects I hadn't been consuming enough gluten before the first test.