• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

nothungry

Kids Tested Negative

Rate this topic

My kids have tested negative for celiac disease. I have celiac disease. I feel as though I should put them on a low gluten diet to lessen the chances of them developing it. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on this? I'd really appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Guest nini

my thoughts are since you are the one feeding them (I assume), it might be easier on you to have them be gluten free at home with you. You may even want to make them gluten free all the time... The diet is a very healthy diet and won't hurt them. They've already been tested, so it's not like you are going to skew any test results by putting them on the gluten-free diet... Just my opinion that it would be easier ON YOU to have the entire family gluten free (at home at least) so that YOU don't have to worry about it at home. If you want to let your kids have gluten when they are out and about that is your call... You can choose for them to be on a gluten free diet strictly because they may have a genetic predisposition to developing it later on. Always something to keep an eye on.

Also, just because they tested negative now, doesn't mean that if they continued to consume gluten that they would always test negative. They very easily could develop this later on. You may want to look into the genetic testing...

Yea--I agree with Nini on this. Having them be gluten-free, at least at home, would be so much easier for you--not to mention safer. (less chance of CC). The diet is healthy for anyone. I'm the only one in my house with Celic, but dinner every night is naturally gluten-free. No one complains (or really notices, for that matter) because it's all good and really not all that different than before. I cook the way I always did, just tweak it as needed. My husband and son are at work all day and that's when they eat things with gluten if they want. It works well for us. Gene testing may be something you want to consider because they could be pre-disposed. Sometimes Celiac isn't triggered until puberty or other event later in life (surgery, pregnancy, illness, etc).

I have been on the gluten-free diet for celiac disease for over a year. My kids tested negative twice. They do not eat a lot of gluten foods, mostly in their lunchboxes at school and at friends and relatives homes. I do not know much about genetic testing...do insurance companies cover the cost? I went undiagnosed for 30 years and I would never want my kids to get this if I could possibly prevent it.

Guest nini

They may have tested negative because they are not getting a lot of gluten in their diet and therefore not enough for antibodies to be present even if they do have celiac.

My daughter is five and while she tested negative for Celiac, I still put her on the diet and she even can tell when she gets "glutened" now... she is a very healthy and active five year old, just a gluten free one.

I had both of my children tested, both were negative. Since I make dinner that meal is always gluten-free.

However, I have decided not to limit their intake of gluten. Instead I try to point out growing food and non-growing food options. In the hope that they will choose a healthy lifestyle. I have also scaled back the gluten choices they do have.

We opted against gene testing for two reasons. One is cost. The second is that we did not want the information to be used against them in anyway (denied for life insurance or health coverage). These are personal decisions that you must decide on.

Keep in mind that you can have the gene but never get the disease. Plus your children have a one in 10 chance of develping celiac disease (I can't find where I got that number, take it with a grain of salt). So there is a possiblility they will not get it. There is also a chance they will.

In the end you need to do what is best for you and your family.

Hez

would you be denied life insurance because of celiac disease?

That's a good question. I hope not, as celiacs off gluten are as healthy (or healthier) as other people.

I have not been denied life insurance but that is because I got it prior to diagnosis! I have been denied the cheap life insurance rate because of back pain (that does not kill you). I think they can deny you the cheapest rate with this or any other disease. Keep in mind they do not understand celiac disease.

This was a decision that my husband and I made together regarding gene testing.