• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

NoGlutensToday

Looking for a moisturizer (with SPF) that is safe for my face. Any suggestions?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

Two questions:

1) I have celiac and DH. I'd like to find a moisturizer with SPF to apply in the morning that doesn't make my face shiny. Preferably it'd be matte. And naturally, it needs to be gluten free. Any suggestions?

2) I saw a moisturizer with SPF that might work. Does this look to be gluten free?

Medicinal Ingredients:
AVOBENZONE 3%, HOMOSALATE 10%, OCTISALATE 5%, OCTOCRYLENE 2,7%

Non-Medicinal Ingredients:
WATER, C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE, METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, GLYCERIN, PENTYLENE GLYCOL, CERAMIDE NP, CERAMIDE AP, CERAMIDE EOP, CARBOMER, SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYLTAURATE/VP CROSSPOLYMER, SODIUM LAUROYL LACTYLATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, CHOLESTEROL, PHENOXYETHANOL, DISODIUM EDTA, HYDROXYACETOPHENONE, CITRIC ACID, PHYTOSPHINGOSINE, XANTHAN GUM, T-BUTYL ALCOHOL, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN

Thanks for any responses!

Unless, you eat sunscreen or sweat so much that it drips into your mouth, you should not have to worry.  

I would buy this sunscreen.  😊

https://nationalceliac.org/celiac-disease-questions/using-gluten-free-skin-body-products-someone-celiac-disease/

Hi cyclinglady,

I can get sweaty during the summer, and I wouldn't want to risk getting something in my mouth that could contain gluten. Just to clarify, are you saying the ingredients listed above appear to be gluten free, or are you saying that you don't think I'm going to sweat enough to get it in my mouth?

I appreciate your reply and elaboration! And thanks for all your service on these boards ... I've gleaned a lot of knowledge from what you've had to say. Your effort on these boards is appreciated.

This sunscreen has no listed gluten ingredients.  So, it is safe.  

Personally, I choose a sunscreen that has a physical blocker when I am going to sweat a lot (like riding in my bike).  The sunscreen you asked about would sting my eyes for sure. I  do use a chemical sunscreen on my body.  For under foundation, I use a chemical sunscreen, but sparingly now as new reports on chemical sunscreens are showing that those chemicals are absorbed into the skin and into the  body.  Guess everyone jumped the gun promoting sunscreen before testing it.  

You can always contact the manufacturer or google each ingredient.  But honestly, you would have to swallow a lot of lotion to trigger an autoimmune response.  I would think you would have an awful taste in your mouth.  I have never had a lotion taste good.  

Read this about cosmetic products (lipsticks) that have actually have gluten in them but not enough to cause damage from Trisha Thompson (Gluten Free Watchdog).  

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/gluten-in-cosmetics-results-of-testing-on-lipsticks-and-lotions/

https://www.dummies.com/food-drink/special-diets/gluten-free/avoid-gluten-in-cosmetics-and-hair-and-skincare-products/

I hope this helps.