• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have recently been diagnosed with gluten intolerance and have changed my diet. I have read that I need to take additional vitamins/minerals.  They tell me what vitamins/minerals but not how many milligrams I should take daily.   What is the daily recommended amount?  And is there an all-in-one product instead of having to taking multi-pills?

It varies from person to person and what you diet is, Many Celiacs find they need to supplement B-vitamins, Magnesium, vitamin D, sometimes iron, vitamins C, etc.

I use Liquid Health Mega B complex and Neurological support for B-vitamins taking 1 tbsp each twice a day with meal. They also make a multivitamin I think just pour the RD in a glass and drink it.
I take bluebonnet drops Vitamin D 2000iu-4000iu But it varies for everyone
I rotate between Natural Vitality Calm and Doctors Best Magnesium...I used to have to take huge doses to tolerance but now just take the RD twice a day.
I take 500mg Vitamin C pills 2-3 times a day but I do not eat fruit at all for other reasons and it helps with Iron absorbtion
Iron I eat foods high in iron with each meal or take Pea protein which is high in it.
I tend to eat leafy greens like Kale, Spinach, or Collard with each meal for my other nutrients and live on tons of eggs, nut flours/butters, and seed meals/butters I consume at least 1 cup of almond or cashew milk a day for calcium.

I take a few other things that are specific to my issues IE Pancreas and digestive enzymes to break down my food (pancreas issues), some stuff for helping me with body building and extra vegan proteins, along with collagen for my joints due to how active I am. Slippery Elm, Marshmallow, and Aloe Vera for my Ulcerative Colitis, along with probiotics every day or so.

Your doctor can test you for deficiencies or you can allow some time to heal.  I think the current recommendation is a simple gluten-free multi-vitamin.  You can supplement with additional vitamins as you think necessary.  For example, I was only low on iron for a few months after my diagnosis.   I took Iron supplements for a few months based on my doctor’s recommendation.    Since then, I take no supplements.  I do have a pretty healthy diet though.  If you are going to dine on gluten-free chips and candy, you might consider supplements.  

Learn more:

https://celiac.org/gluten-free-living/gluten-in-medicine-vitamins-and-supplements/

Right, getting tested for vitamin/mineral levels is valuable.  Taking too much if a vitamin / mineral can be bad for you also.  The fat soluble vitamins tend to get stored in the body.  The water soluble vitamins tend to wash out daily, so overdosing on them is unlikely.

Things I think are helpful are minerals, including iodine, boron, and selenium.  Copper and manganese also matter.  Some of these are trace minerals, so don't overdo it.  Amounts we need vary, but there are RDA's you can check.  All the B vitamins are water soluble and worth taking (especially B-12) in reasonable amounts IMHO.  Vitamin D and boron and calcium work together so it's good to get some of them daily.  A 1000 IU vitamin D pill daily is more effective than a 50,000 IU pill weekly IMHO.  You can also get vitamin D from oily fish like salmon, mackeral, sardines and tuna.  Or that bright yellow thing in the daytime sky depending on the season and your latitude.

There may be an all-in-one pill but it may be hard to find.  I take CVS brand calcium/vit D pill ( cut in half), a CVS complete joint heath pill (with boron), Jarrow B Complete,  1000 IU Naturemade Vit D, tart cherry, Rhodiola Rosea, ginseng, men's multi sometimes, a Solgar thyroid pill sometimes, Betaine HCL sometimes.

Sources are CVS, Swanson's, vitacost or the grocery store.

Edited by GFinDC