• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

sdore

What To Cook

Rate this topic

This kinda goes along with another post I read, but I need a little more info. I also cook the same 5 or 6 things in rotation during the week (boring) for dinner. It is hard for me to cook a meal that I and my finacee likes. I like all food except fish. I love every vegatable! He likes any meat and only corn and potatoes. I can't afford nor have the time to make 2 seperate dinners. Any help? Any suggestions on a simple cookbook? I have Betty Hagmans but it deals a lot with gluten-free subsitutes that I don't have the money for and he probably won't eat.

Thanks, steph

Steph,

I love to cook and always have! I have found that alot of my "old" cookbooks are naturally gluten-free with a few changes. Do you have any cookbooks that you could skim thru for ideas? I made a wonderful chicken cachatore (I can cook but can not spell) with rice and vegies, tried a spoon bread the other night (Cooking Light magazine) with salad and fruit, and homemade pork green chilie with rice and cut up fresh vegies and dip. I have been in a rut as well lately. Sometimes I think I get so wraped up in what I can't have that I forget about all the things I can have. It does not help that you have a picky eater! I have one to but she is four and just puts on ketchup to cover up the flavor!

Hez

I had been bored with my food also. I recently got a forwarded e-mail from a friend. It was a recipe exchange. It sounded fun so I participated. It has been fun getting new recipes from people. I'll post the e-mail incase you want to try it out with some of your friends. It might just give you a new idea to get ya cookin again. !!

-Jessica

1) Person One blah@blah.com

2) Person two blah@blah.com

Please email a recipe to the person whose name is listed in # 1

position.

Next, in another email, move my name to the # 1 position and put your

name in the number 2 position.

Only your name and mine should appear on this list when you send your

email.

Send the email to 8 friends.

It is just for fun. If you cannot do this within 5 days, please let me

know so it will be fair to others. You should receive at least 36

recipes. It will be fun to see where they come from.

The turnaround is fast because there are only 2 names on the list and it

is sent via email.

My husband isn't a huge vegetable fan either, but he's come to enjoy some of them in stir-fries. Those we have together. Outside of that, I'll often cook something shared for us, and then a separate vegetable dish for myself - something simple, like roasted veggies. One thing that often works is to make things that can be easily separated. The other night, I cut up big chunks of turkey breast, and roasted it with onions, baby red potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, and cauliflower. My husband hates cauliflower, but was easily able to pick around the large chunks and enjoyed the meal.

How about corn chowder? I'm going to try and make some tommorrow night for supper. I'll be subsituting regular milk with soy milk. If you're interested I'll post the recipe once I find one.

It's a strange thing being gluten-free. I have experimented with new vegetables. I made a curried parsnip soup. I bake and mash sweet potatoes. Potato and broccoli soup. My husband likes to eat salads with tomatoes, peppers and avocado.

How about corn chowder? I'm going to try and make some tommorrow night for supper. I'll be subsituting regular milk with soy milk. If you're interested I'll post the recipe once I find one.

I actually have a great corn chowder that uses water instead of milk.

I have a lot to reply to. No I don't own any cookbooks though I love to cook. I need to invest in some. Tarnalberry, what do you use as a sauce for the stir fry? And I would also like the corn chowder recipe.

Thanks!!!!!

sdore-

I use the Better Homes and Garden's cookbook and just use a gluten-free flour or gluten-free pasta as a substitute in many of their recipes. I also LOVE McCormick's website (they are the maker of spices and many seasoning packets). Great recipes. www.mccormick.com. I like their products because they are usually very clear about listing gluten.

Here are some of my 'standards'---

Do you ever make tacos, enchiladas, or fajitas? I have great, easy recipes for all---they are a staple in my house. Also make nachos.

I have a sweet and sour chicken stir fry with green beans and pineapple that is GREAT! My grandma makes it and I just substituted a gluten-free soy sauce in the making of the sauce (only like 2 tbs of the soy sauce, so it doesn't matter too much that I use a cheap one!) All of the other ingredients are naturally gluten-free.

love to make homemade mac and cheese with tinkyada pasta (use bhg recipe)

I made something called "Chesapeake Bay Chicken and Shrimp" the other night (chicken, shrimp, old bay seasoning, heavy cream, pasta, and I added broccoli)-super easy!

"smothered chicken" -similar to Applebee's. Chicken breast, seasoned. sautee onions, mushrooms, green bell peppers, place on top of chicken. Melt cheddar and any other type of cheese (Or just cheddar!).

Spaghetti-ground beef, onions, any other random veggies I want to put in, mix w/gluten-free sauce, serve over gluten-free pasta.

salmon with a little bit of olive oil and dill weed seasoning (I use the pampered chef one). serve with rice and veggie.

tilapia with a melted butter and old bay seasoning.

(I love fish and seafood-I watch for it on sale)

Let me know if you would like any of these recipes. I have the bette hagman books and use them kind of as a basis for other recipes. I don't think I have used any of her substitutes other than making one of her flour combinations. I like to stick to "normal" as possible!

I have more cookbooks than any human should. :D

My faves are my Weight watchers 15 minute one and my low carb 15 minute one. But I *LOVE* trawling Allrecipes.com and recipezaar.com for ideas. Even footnetwork.com has got stuff that's delicious and fun.