• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

sillyken

1st Lazagne In 4 Years

Rate this topic

:D I was cooking so well. I had planned this meal for weeks. I had the cheese all mixed up as the lazagne was in the pot boling. When I went to lay the strips down they fell apart. I ended up with iddy biddy pieces of pasta in a big pot with all the ingedients thrown in like it was a mud pie. I stood there yelling at the the whole mess saying "I'm having lazagne toight regardless of what you say". :lol:

Question: how do you get the strips of lazagne to go from the pot easily into the dish?

Question: how do you get the strips of lazagne to go from the pot easily into the dish?

What brand did you use? Ener-G lasagne noodles work well for me. Try undercooking yours a little bit next time. They'll finish cooking in the oven, and should stay together better when putting the whole thing together.

Good luck!

Liz

Guest nini

I only cooked the lasagne noodles long enough for them to be pliable... then I layered them in the pan with plenty of sauce... I also used Tinkyada pasta, which holds together really well. So, you overcooked the noodles, with lasagne because you bake it in the oven with all the sauce and fillings for so long, the noodles get cooked the rest of the way. Mine has turned out perfect every time.

I have yet to make gluten-free lasagna. Before dx I would not boil the noodles. Can we do that with gluten-free?

Hez

Guest nini

you probably could... I know that Orgran from Australia, makes a no boil gluten free lasagne noodle, I haven't tried them.

I have used Tinkyada and De Boles and did not pre-cook the noodles with either brand. I had never made lasagna until going gluten free. I always thought it sounded super hard to make. Turns out it is SO easy to make. I think it turned out great without the pre-cooking. I just made sure to use plenty of sauce to keep the lasagna moist. Enjoy!!

-Jessica

:D I was cooking so well. I had planned this meal for weeks. I had the cheese all mixed up as the lazagne was in the pot boling. When I went to lay the strips down they fell apart. I ended up with iddy biddy pieces of pasta in a big pot with all the ingedients thrown in like it was a mud pie. I stood there yelling at the the whole mess saying "I'm having lazagne toight regardless of what you say". :lol:

I only cook the lasagna briefly (enough to ensure it is no rock hard)

Layer your meat, sauces, cheese, spices (I usually hand mix all of them together and add an egg or two -- it keeps the lasagna together and is less messy)

Yep, generally, for lasagna, you want to only barely cook the noodles - just enough to make them pliable.

Great ideas guys. Thanks alot. Hope my story made you smile.

Ken

LOVE gluten-free lasagne :) We use DeBoles rice lasagne and don't precook at all. Just layer 'em in all crunchy and it cooks just fine.

Merika

I never cook the noodles ahead and the lasagna turns out great.

richard

I actually just made a delicious gluten-free lasagna last week. Like Jessica I had never made lasagna until becoming gluten-free because I thought it would be so hard, and to be honest if I was in the mood for lasagna I would just go out to dinner.

I used Tinkyada. I did boil the noodles but just so they were a little soft. I let the oven do the rest.

I thought I was the only one! There are a couple things I didn't make from scratch until going gluten-free, like lasagne and pizza. The frozen versions were so much easier before! I used Tinkyada pasta as well, and cooked them all the way (didn't know any different). It turned out absolutely perfect. It was such an easy, no-hassle recipe. Here is a link to it for those who like basic, Stouffer-type lasagne:

http://www.gfutah.org/recipes/Lasagna.html

Lisa