Jump to content
  • Sign Up
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, helenquinlan said:

Hi, can you get tested if you have been eating a small amount of gluten. I have cut down to 90% gluten free but some still gets into my daily diet.

I think you need to be eating a purposeful amount of gluten.  I can’t tell if you are just guessing that some is sneaking in or if you know you eat a specific gluteny food everyday.

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

 

For a gluten challenge we recommend eating 1/2 slice of bread or a cracker each day for the duration of the challenge.

  • Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten.
  • Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kareng said:

I think you need to be eating a purposeful amount of gluten.  I can’t tell if you are just guessing that some is sneaking in or if you know you eat a specific gluteny food everyday.

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

 

For a gluten challenge we recommend eating 1/2 slice of bread or a cracker each day for the duration of the challenge.

  • Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten.
  • Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten.

that's about what i am eating. but i will eat that if i havent eaten any that day. This is helpful. I have had a biopsy and it showed not gluten intolerance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, helenquinlan said:

that's about what i am eating. but i will eat that if i havent eaten any that day. This is helpful. I have had a biopsy and it showed not gluten intolerance.

A biopsy won’t show if you have a gluten intolerance or not.  It can show Celiac damage .  But the damage can be spotty ( in patches) & not really visible.  they could miss the spot when they biopsy.  

Even if you don’t have Celiac, you can be gluten intolerant.  There are a variety of reasons for that, so eliminating Celiac first is the easiest step. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kareng said:

A biopsy won’t show if you have a gluten intolerance or not.  It can show Celiac damage .  But the damage can be spotty ( in patches) & not really visible.  they could miss the spot when they biopsy.  

Even if you don’t have Celiac, you can be gluten intolerant.  There are a variety of reasons for that, so eliminating Celiac first is the easiest step. 

 

34 minutes ago, kareng said:

A biopsy won’t show if you have a gluten intolerance or not.  It can show Celiac damage .  But the damage can be spotty ( in patches) & not really visible.  they could miss the spot when they biopsy.  

Even if you don’t have Celiac, you can be gluten intolerant.  There are a variety of reasons for that, so eliminating Celiac first is the easiest step. 

I am learning so much here. I am just so sick of this rash. thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, helenquinlan said:

 

I am learning so much here. I am just so sick of this rash. thank you

You didn’t say it was a rash.  There is a Celiac rash called dermatitis herepetiformis.  That is diagnosed by a dermatologist who takes a biopsy from the skin next to a fresh lesion.  If that is positive, you have Celiac and no other testing is necessary.  But the DH will not go away on a 90% gluten-free diet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kareng said:

You didn’t say it was a rash.  There is a Celiac rash called dermatitis herepetiformis.  That is diagnosed by a dermatologist who takes a biopsy from the skin next to a fresh lesion.  If that is positive, you have Celiac and no other testing is necessary.  But the DH will not go away on a 90% gluten-free diet.  

 

1 hour ago, kareng said:

You didn’t say it was a rash.  There is a Celiac rash called dermatitis herepetiformis.  That is diagnosed by a dermatologist who takes a biopsy from the skin next to a fresh lesion.  If that is positive, you have Celiac and no other testing is necessary.  But the DH will not go away on a 90% gluten-free diet.  

 

1 hour ago, kareng said:

You didn’t say it was a rash.  There is a Celiac rash called dermatitis herepetiformis.  That is diagnosed by a dermatologist who takes a biopsy from the skin next to a fresh lesion.  If that is positive, you have Celiac and no other testing is necessary.  But the DH will not go away on a 90% gluten-free diet.  

Yes, that is what she said I have, but said it isn't from gluten. So there is no medications for this rash, just no gluten, right? 

Just now, helenquinlan said:

 

 

Yes, that is what she said I have, but said it isn't from gluten. So there is no medications for this rash, just no gluten, right? 

and I can get this late in life, I am 55?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, helenquinlan said:

 

 

Yes, that is what she said I have, but said it isn't from gluten. So there is no medications for this rash, just no gluten, right? 

and I can get this late in life, I am 55?

If you have DH, you have Celiac.  And it is from gluten.  And you can developer Celiac at any time in life.  Check the University of Chicago website.  They have lots of good info.  DH requires a strict gluten-free diet and sometimes needs a short term treatment of dapsone. 

 

If ypur our skin was actually biopsies and found to be DH, you might want to get another doctor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...