• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi!

i recently had lab work done and my DGP IgG came back positive at 52. I’m getting conflicting feedback from doctors about the significance of this ranging from I almost assuredly have celiac to I most likely do not. The first GI I saw won’t even discuss these results with me until I undergo colonoscopy and endoscopy which he scheduled before these results even came back. Saw a new GI who thinks it is unlikely I have celiac but scheduled me for endoscopy and biopsy next month to find out for sure. My primary care seems confident I do have celiac. I’m very confused!!  Thanks in advance for any feedback! 

It only takes 1 positive on the celiac serum panel to trigger going forward with an endoscopic biopsy for celiac disease. With a positive DGP IgG, you have that. 

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/are-raised-dgp-igg-levels-an-early-sign-of-celiac-disease/

Cyclinglady only tests positive on the DGP IgA if I recall correctly & she is biopsy confirmed. Usually, this particular test in the panel only shows positive for kids & generally not for adults but there are certainly the exceptions! 

I'm curious what other tests they gave you. There are 6 in the full celiac panel.

MAKE SURE YOU CONTINUE EATING A NORMAL GLUTEN DIET UNTIL THE ENDOSCOPY IS COMPLETED.

Here's a thread addressing positive DGP IgG:

Hi!  Thank you so much for your reply. The panel I had tested total IgA, tTg A and tTg G, DGP IgA and IgG. I have a pending HLA test. They also ran CBC and CMP which were normal, sed rate normal thyroid panel normal vitamin D low. and vitamin B low. 

You're so welcome! OK, so it just looks like you're one of those weird testers. LOL! Nothing wrong with that. We get all kinds of people on here with "not the usual" test results. Sometimes I wonder if the medical profession really knows what's "the usual" or not. But hey, that's why there's more than 1 test in the full panel and thank goodness b/c it caught you. If they had just done the total IgA & then only the tTg IgA which is what happens a great deal of the time, then you would not have been caught. I'm really glad someone was on the ball with that one.

With the DGP IgG & the low vitamin D & also the low B, it's all pointing to celiac. Do go ahead though & get the endoscopy. They should take at least 6 biopsies.

While you're waiting for the endoscopy & results, go ahead & familiarize yourself with what you'll need to do to keep yourself safe.

Thank you!!!  This information is so helpful. I wish I could get my biopsies done sooner. Eating gluten is miserable!!!  When I first got my labs I stopped gluten because I freaked out. Lol. I only was off it for about 4 days but I was amazed how much better I felt. I am forcing myself to eat some every morning until my biopsies but it’s making me feel terrible. I’m just counting down the days until endoscopy. 😜

The wait can be so tough especially when we know what is causing the symptoms. If you can get in on short notice call the GI's office and ask to be put on the cancellation list. That way they might be able to get you in sooner.  You can go gluten free as soon as the biopsy is done. Damage can be patchy and get missed and with positive blood work you need the diet no matter the results. I hope you heal quickly but it may take a bit of time.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! :)

It sounds like you already had your vitamins and minerals checked.  I suggest you try a 1000 IU Vitamin D pill and a small boron pill daily.  These are what helped me get my vitamin D back up to normal levels.  Vitamin D and boron and calcium all work together.

A B-complex with B-12 is good way to go also.

After the biopsy it's good to concentrate on unprocessed foods for 5 months.  No dairy or oats, no eating out in restaurants.  Whole foods you prepare yourself at home are the best choice.  Meats, nuts, veggies, and some fruit are a good diet.  There are milk substitutes like almond and cashew milk out there but they often have calcium carbonate in them and the bothers some people.  Mission corn tortillas are a cheap sub for bread and are gluten-free..

Edited by GFinDC