Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ownedbykira

Negative Biopsy + Positive Ttg Antibodies

Hi I am new to this forum and I figure I would just ask the question that has been on my mind?

But First I will tell my story...

I was referred to a gastroenterologist after returning a positive ttg antibody count, the two tests were negative. I was screened by my GP some years ago (circa 96) and returned a negative reult. He screened me again in October last year and came up positive as per above details. Well, I had the endoscopy done in mid december and last week I got the results back and apart from some abnormal tissue (my small bowel looked like it had developed a zit problem) which was biopsied, everything was normal.

Some of the symptoms that I have include intermittant diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, fatigue, living in the fog, depression. The diarrhoea can be so bad that I have developed a close relationship with the toilet (when I say diarrhoea - I am just saying the when it is liquid), and I know the locations of all the toilets on the major train stations between home and work (A 20 mile trip!). Also my bloodwork revealed that my aneamia and iron stores were not fully corrected after 5 months of iron tablets, and the tested my CRP which was midly elevated, and the most embarrassing problem is the much increased flatulance

My parents identified several extended family members with coeliacs (biopsy provable who were diagnosed around 38-40 years, I am 29) although none of my immediate family have been diagnosed.

So my questions are.

Is it possible to have a false postive ttg antibody test

Is it possible to have a false negative biopsy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Is it possible to have a false postive ttg antibody test

Is it possible to have a false negative biopsy

It's VERY possible to have a negative biopsy and still have Celiac.

False negative biopsies are common whereas false negative tTG is highly unlikely. Ultimately how you feel on the diet will be the deciding factor.

Rachel

i have 3 children with celiac. two of them have had biopsies, one was normal, the other showed no damage, but she did have raised lymphocites in only one area. all three girls had positive blood tests.

christine

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Not that I'm a doctor, but what you're describing sounds an awful lot like the very first signs of damage in the intestine. Some doctors still won't diagnose celiac until the intestine is completely damaged, but with a positive ttg, I personally would think that it would be wise to try the diet. I bet it would make you feel better.

Pauliina

Guest nini

if your blood test is positive, YOU HAVE IT... what you described as your small bowel developing a "zit" problem sounds like damage to me... just early stages of it. Most GI's are still reluctant to dx Celiac if the villi are not completely flattened.

Your blood tests shows elevated antibodies, you def. have it. Get off gluten immediately if you aren't now. And start feeling better.