• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

tiredofdoctors!!!

She's Back . . . .

Rate this topic

Okay, guys -- I have a question and need your help. I have been completely gluten-free (including soaps, shampoos, etc.), now for 19 weeks. I used "Olay Regenerist" microdermabrasion & peel two nights ago. The next morning, I had those familiar bumps all around my hairline and face that itch and burn -- to the extent that both my mother & daughter saw them and mentioned them. Can you get a gluten reaction from just APPLYING gluten-containing products to your skin?? Just curious -- it seemed a little suspicious. Thanks for your help . . . . Lynne

From all I've read gluten cant be absorbed into the skin but alot of people say they get skin reactions from it anyway. I dont really know but I'm inclined to think that since Celiacs tend to have more sensitivities anyway...its not unlikely that some ingredients in skin products can also be irritating or cause symptoms. It might not necessarily be gluten....but then again....it could be. Who knows. I'm sensitive to salicylates in skin products and at one time I believed it was the gluten causing the reaction but it was actually salicylic acid and other ingredients high in salicylates.

Were you dx'd with DH? I think if you have DH you can definately get skin reactions from gluten but if its not DH...could just be something in the product thats irritating you.

I used to use Aveeno lotion and a wheat containing hair product, and they had no effect on the severity of my DH. It seemed completely random. I do, however, get rashes from other things. I can't use any scented laudry detergents for example, or wear colored underwear.

I've never had any reactions from gluten on my skin. I had DH for more than 20 years.

richard

Thanks for the input. As for salicylates, I've used them for years with no apparent trouble (Neutrogena products produce NO reaction). My neurologist (I have gluten ataxia vs celiac, but my antigliadin levels were "outrageously high" previously) has questioned whether my facial "rash" (kind of blistery around my hairline & cheeks -- burns & itches, but is not horrible by any stretch) is DH. He has even thought of performing a biopsy. I was previously diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis -- but the dermatologist said that he thought I had "sebo-psoriasis", because it bleeds -- all the MD's question that one. Maybe thet reaction was just one of the components in the stuff other than gluten. I think I'm just getting freaky over gluten now!

I have seen a child react to gluten on the skin. The child touched the table where play-doh was used an hour earlier and got a rash in about 15 minutes. The mother said it was a gluten reaction, so I knew it was the play-doh residue from the table.

Does Play-Doh have gluten in it???? We played Cranium last night, and we had to use it on one of the turns. I never even thought about that. I was eating chips and dip at the same time!

Lisa

Yes it has wheat in it! We threw all of ours out. I have seen reactions from my daughter after putting a sticker on her skin that had gluten in the backing. She got a reaction from that.

Darn, that is why I had a reaction around Christmas, because we were playing cranium and I had to use the play dough. I just couldn't figure out what I had been into because I knew I did not eat any wheat.

Thanks for the help -- I'm going back to the neuro on Monday, and I'll be able to tell him of my (and your) experiences. It helps me be much more clear with him, because, up until now, he hasn't had anyone whose ataxia has progressed to this extent (largely because I was undiagnosed for a LONG time), and he hasn't treated anyone with DH. He was the first MD who said "I think this is Celiac-related" -- he has taken an interest in treating it, and now has two additional patients who have Gluten Ataxia without having Celiac.