• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Tutahl75

Depression And Sleep Deprivation

Rate this topic

Hello,

I've been a Celiac for about a year and a half now. My biggest problems with the disease is anxiety and sleep deprivation. About four months ago I found a herbal remedy called Holy Basil or Tulsi Root. It works great at containing my anxiety and keeping me balanced with no side effects so far. I definately recommend it to those with similar problems.

However, I still have my hang ups with sleep. I get into sleep ruts from time to time and it often brings back the memories of being really sick pre diagnosis. Does anyone have any recommendations for relaxation techniques to quiet the mind or even a good sleep medicine that doesn't leave them feeling like a bag sh*$ in the morning?

thanks for your time,

Bd

I completely understand, and I wish I had some advice - but I'm in the same boat you are. I went GFDF in August and felt amazing... up until Thanksgiving. Then "life" happened (work, illnesses, etc.) and for the past four weeks I have been comletely wrapped in anxiety. I've been waking up around 4:00 every day which is so not helping! I've been on Ambien and Zanax and it's not cutting it any more, so my dr. just put me on Paxil on Friday.

In the meantime, I've bought myself a sleep music celiac disease (from Bed, Bath and Beyond) which sometimes helps. I also took some relaxation classes and learned deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation and guided imagery. All which do help, they just don't take it away. I'm really hoping Paxil will help, and soon!

Let me know if you find any answers, and good luck!

I completely understand, and I wish I had some advice - but I'm in the same boat you are. I went GFDF in August and felt amazing... up until Thanksgiving. Then "life" happened (work, illnesses, etc.) and for the past four weeks I have been comletely wrapped in anxiety. I've been waking up around 4:00 every day which is so not helping! I've been on Ambien and Zanax and it's not cutting it any more, so my dr. just put me on Paxil on Friday.

In the meantime, I've bought myself a sleep music celiac disease (from Bed, Bath and Beyond) which sometimes helps. I also took some relaxation classes and learned deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation and guided imagery. All which do help, they just don't take it away. I'm really hoping Paxil will help, and soon!

You should try Holy Basil as mentioned in my initial email. It really helps with the stress reaction of anxiety and it has no side effects. I used Paxil as well and it made my stomach upset if I was stressed and made me sweat like crazy. You can get it at the health food stores. Most grocery stores don't sell Holy Basil. Hope this helps and thanks for the tips.

I second what everyone has been saying: download or buy some relaxation, sleeping music; write down the issues that are ailing you and burn them or throw them away or simply vent on the page and then do something rejuvenating; pray or meditate (this is often intimidating, but it doesn't have to be long at all. you could do it for a few seconds. just deep, focused breathing at any time throughout the day); create a routine that would allow you to have a comfortable environment before you go to bed (ie. about the same time each night, comfortable pillows and sheets, do similar things each night- meditate, pray, read, listen to music, don't eat too much before you go). I hope that this helps. Let me know.

Florence