• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

stef_the_kicking_cuty

My Mother Has Had Positive Bloodtest

Rate this topic

Hi guys,

this is so cool. When I found out I had celiac, I also talked with my in-laws about it. Especially with my mother-in-law. And I told them, that celiac is genetic and that I believe, I have it from my mothers side and that my mother has it from her mother. I think so, because my grandma had a lot of celiac symptoms and she also had diabetes and died of more than one form of cancer. My mother also always had some bowel issues. Not severe, but they were there. Plus she had breast cancer. But my mother-in-law said, that I can't say that, because I'm not a doctor and this would only be a lot of if's and but's and blablabla. You know how it goes. She never really believed me (even though I learnt medicine for 14 months)... But now here's the cool thing:

My mother visited me in the states last year in September for one complete month as intro into her retirement. And I talked to her and we both agreed, that my dad doesn't fit into this "celiac picture" at all. So I asked her, if she doesn't want to make the glutenfree diet with me for one month and see how she feels. We had a good time and sticked to the glutenfree diet very strict. However there was one incident, that worried me a little bit. We were invited at a family party from my in-laws and I had the feeling, everybody just kind of laughed behind my back, because we did that. I told my parents-in-law about our glutenfree diet we do together and my mother-in-law said, my mother should just enjoy herself and not worry about gluten :blink: . Because, just because I have it doesn't mean, my mother has it, too, in her opinion. But I followed my mother like a shadow and nobody could slip her anything...

So the month passed quickly and then when my mother arrived back in Germany, she called me immediately, when she came home. She was very excited and also a little bit upset. She said, that customs was the least of her concerns, after the plane landed. What she needed was a toilet. She told me, she ate a noodle soup on the plane and the last day, before she left from the states, she made herself some snack packages with my husband's wheat bread. A little bit of that wheat bread she also ate, when she was on the way to the airport with my husband (I had to work). So when she finally landed in Germany she was about to explode with the big "D" and stomache cramps and gas.

I told her to eat normal again and get tested. So she did just that and guess what. She had to vomit frequently and felt really miserable most of the time until now. She just got her blood test back a couple of days ago: Positive. And tomorrow morning at 9:30 german time she's going to have the biopsy. This is 3:30 eastern time over here tonight. This would be a result for both of us, since I chicked out of the biopsy. I hope it's not falsified, because she lived totally glutenfree for one month.

The best thing is however, when my mother called me with the positive blood test result I immediately called my mother-in-law. After I told her, that the blood test was positive I found the good woman pretty much speechless. What satisfaction would that be, if I would be right. And everybody would see I was right. Don't get me wrong, my mother-in-law is really supportive with my diet and everything. But sometimes I just get the feeling, they think I'm silly or so.

And not that I wish it onto my mother. But she deserves a healthy retirement. Even my step-dad (who is very selfish normally) said, he would do the diet together with her. Haha, let's wait and see what happens, when he finds out, he can't have beer anymore either :P

I'm excited, I can't wait until the results are here :rolleyes:

Hugs, Stef

Steph

Glad your mom was diagnosed before she took ill with celiac disease. Now she will know what to do as she has you to guide her.

Deb

Guest nini

The blood test is enough, she has celiac... if the biopsy is negative that doesn't mean a thing... She has it period.

The blood test is enough, she has celiac... if the biopsy is negative that doesn't mean a thing... She has it period.

That's what I'm saying, too. She also had to vomit, when she reintroduced gluten. So she HAS symptoms. I had a hot discussion with her about this today and I think, she might consider glutenfree anyway. If not, I will call 24/7 until she gets it. I want her to be healthy. It's not her time to go yet...

Edited by stef_the_kicking_cuty

Hey Stef, that's great! I wished I'd have had the same opportunity as you. But my mother died of liver cancer in 1986, before either one of us ever heard of Celiac disease. She had all the same symptoms as me.

Hi Ursula,

that's sad. I'm so sorry. Sometimes things just happen and it hurts even more, when you find out what the actual problem was and that it maybe could have been prevented. We can just hope for the better and bigger awareness and that other people find out what they are suffering from before it's too late...

Hugs, Stef

By the way:

Ich bin auch Deutsche. Komme aus Bayern (Lichtenfels), wo kommst Du denn her?

Edited by stef_the_kicking_cuty

Hi Stef:

I spent 2 months at my mom's and we ate gluten free. After I left she started getting sick and so on one of her trips to the doctor I asked that he check her for Celiac. Guess what positive, so it can happen. That was about 5 months ago and she is doing great!

Good for you, Sally! I am always glad when bad things that happened to me won't happen to somebody else. Lets hope that both your moms will live long and healthy lives!

Stef, ich bin von Hamburg, meine sechs Brueder und meine Schwester sind noch immer dort. Ich glaube, du bist auch im Zoeli Forum, stimmts?