This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hidden gluten in rolling papers!?

Glutenisnotmyfriend

Glutenisnotmyfriend Newbie

Has anyone heard that zig-zag and other rolling papers are not gluten-free?

In Canada, they recently legalized cannabis, and I had one puff of a rolled joint, started coughing and have been sick for a week with major sore throat and chest infection. I emailed the company, to see if it is from gluten, but haven't heard back yet, anyone else know about this?

I've had similar reactions to certain drywall and patch-filling products, when I sanded them without wearing a mask. I discovered that done of them contain gluten, (like so many things!)

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
2 hours ago, Glutenisnotmyfriend said:

Has anyone heard that zig-zag and other rolling papers are not gluten-free?

In Canada, they recently legalized cannabis, and I had one puff of a rolled joint, started coughing and have been sick for a week with major sore throat and chest infection. I emailed the company, to see if it is from gluten, but haven't heard back yet, anyone else know about this?

I've had similar reactions to certain drywall and patch-filling products, when I sanded them without wearing a mask. I discovered that done of them contain gluten, (like so many things!)

:(

I don’t know about the papers but I have yet to find any new drywall and joint Compound that actually has gluten.  That may have been an ingredient many years ago.  

A sore throat and chest infection doesn’t sound like a typical gluten reaction for a Celiac.  

Edited by kareng
cyclinglady Grand Master

I live in very old house which which contains plaster.  So, we are extra careful when it comes to any construction work around the house (it is also filled with lead and asbestos too which is okay if you do not mess with it or take precautions).  I have been to Home Depot, Ace and Lowe’s and have purchased drywall materials/compounds.   I have not seen any gluten added.  I think the manufacturers have found cheaper fillers.  You can always ask or look up Material Safety Data Sheets which are required by the government for ingredients.    Heck, you can even look up old comet or Ajax kitchen cleansers.  

There are a lot of chemicals in marijuana, just as there is in tobacco.    You could be reacting to those.   Are you even sure it hasn’t been cross contaminated by gluten?  Can you be assured of this?  Is there any certification?  I live California.  Marijuana is legal, but the illegal version is still around even in shops because it is cheaper because they are skirting the taxes and regulatory fees.  (It is all about the money!). 

Back to the sanding.  Why would you NOT follow the manufacturers safety regulations?  Wear a mask and glasses!    Breathing in that crap can make anyone sick!  Learn more about how to safely sand drywall:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/99-113/default.html

kareng Grand Master

As I re-read this, I am wondering if it’s a joke?    Took 1 puff and coughed?  Sounds like they may never have tried to smoke before?  That wouldn’t have anything to do gluten. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

The stuff sold is shops has a chance of CC. they mix flavors in various blends. Chances of CC during processing, packing, and at the shop.
Pure MJ would be safe.....funny but none of the guys I know use zigzags...always cigar rolling paper or a pipe.

You might try making edibles with it. Few tips here, grind the pure leaf cuts in a mortar and pestle into a powder, take pure unrefined coconut oil and heat on low in a small sauce pan and mix the powder into it and let it sit in the warm  oil 20-40 mins depending on heat and plant. then let cool putting back in the jar. Use this in baked goods in place of butter, it works best in vegan baked goods or no bake recipes for cookies. brownies, and bars. This way you can cook at a lower temp to avoid oxidizing the oils just cook a little longer if it requires it....being vegan no worry about it being a bit under done or the no bake versions.

cyclinglady Grand Master
7 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

The stuff sold is shops has a chance of CC. they mix flavors in various blends. Chances of CC during processing, packing, and at the shop.
Pure MJ would be safe.....funny but none of the guys I know use zigzags...always cigar rolling paper or a pipe.

You might try making edibles with it. Few tips here, grind the pure leaf cuts in a mortar and pestle into a powder, take pure unrefined coconut oil and heat on low in a small sauce pan and mix the powder into it and let it sit in the warm  oil 20-40 mins depending on heat and plant. then let cool putting back in the jar. Use this in baked goods in place of butter, it works best in vegan baked goods or no bake recipes for cookies. brownies, and bars. This way you can cook at a lower temp to avoid oxidizing the oils just cook a little longer if it requires it....being vegan no worry about it being a bit under done or the no bake versions.

Good to know!  I am not against marijuana, but it should be used carefully.  I am concerned about addiction in those who are predisposed (and this can include alcohol or even ice cream!).  ?.  I am also concerned about those Juul cigarettes which are not so safe per recent reports from our surgeon general. 

As I tell my kid “just use your noodle”.  Unfortunately,  lots of people lack common sense!  

Nothing against the original OP.  It is hard navigating the gluten free world, especially when you are first diagnosed (sick) or just learning the diet.  

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

You know everything about all kinds of "cooking"!  ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marty209 Newbie

envelope adhesive is made with flour, so maybe the adhesive on rolling papers is made the same way. I believe if you’re smoking dispensary weed it is tested for contaminates, the idea that it’s “filled with chemicals like tobacco” doesn’t fly with me. 

kareng Grand Master
21 minutes ago, Marty209 said:

envelope adhesive is made with flour, so maybe the adhesive on rolling papers is made the same way. I believe if you’re smoking dispensary weed it is tested for contaminates, the idea that it’s “filled with chemicals like tobacco” doesn’t fly with me. 

Actually envelope glue isn’t and hasn’t been made with flour for many many many years.  It’s just too expensive and messy. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yes, that is true! Envelope glue does not contain gluten anymore!  

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/does-envelope-adhesive-contain-gluten/

And chemicals in marijuana?  Yes!  Over 400 of them.  

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana-medicine

Please share any certification regarding gluten at dispensaries.  I would love to know for sure!  

Marty209 Newbie

Ok, but when I got celiac 10+ years ago envelopes were off limits. Haven’t looked into it since.

As for 400 chemicals in marijuana the link led me to the gov/nih drug abuse page. How long has the government scared people off of weed to feed into their dumb laws against it. Just like they said weed kills. Nope. Makes people violent and murderous, nope.  I didn’t see anything about 400 chemicals in weed on there. But I was talking about ADDED chemicals. Not naturally occurring chemicals. Tobacco companies ADDED chemicals to tobacco to make cigarettes more addictive. I’ve only been to a dispensary once, and everything is tested. Not for gluten, but contaminants and other NATURALLY OCCURRING chemicals like cbd and thc. 

Just wanted to help the guy sick off a joint. ?‍♀️

cyclinglady Grand Master

? No worries!  Chemicals are chemicals regardless of whether they are natural or not.  Everyone needs to decide for themselves whether or not they want to use marijuana. I am not here to judge.  I just picked a site that mentioned chemicals.  Here is a site that is neither pro or con:

https://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000636

I can report that the surgeon General just noted that this is not the same pot that was around in my younger years.  What is available now is much stronger.  I can also report that a family member runs a MA (Marijuana Anonymous) group (yes, a separate group because the Narcotics group makes fun of pot users).    Marijuana can be addicting depending on your genes or if you have an addictive personality.  Finally, everyone was sold a bill of goods saying vaping is safe.  Turns out it may not be.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/health/vaping-death-cdc.htmlu

Just to let you know that my perspective is different from most.  I am the person who can become anaphylactic just by taking meds like acetaminophen, ibuprofen or aspirin.  

Regardless, I can not be assured that marijuana it is definitely gluten free even from a licensed dispensary. But heck, I am allowed to grow it in my own backyard for personal use.   But that anaphylactic thing.....it is a worry!  

Edited by cyclinglady
Glutenisnotmyfriend Newbie

Thank you all for your input. I am feeling much better, but still haven't heard back from the company. Maybe I need to phone instead of email.

For those concerned, this was homegrown by a friend who definitely didn't out gluten in it. ;) If gluten was involved, it could only have been from the rolling paper, which I double checked, was a waterproof one...

It could have just been a virus, I don't know. Thanks for all the advice. And suggestions. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

ZigZag papers in the white package are gluten free. I smoke American Spirit tobacco (they don't use any additives it is just tobacco) and those are the papers I use. Without all the added chemicals I went from a pack and a half a day to 5 cigs a day with no effort.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thought I should add that sharing could gluten you if the others were eating or drinking gluten.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced
On 8/30/2019 at 10:12 AM, Ennis_TX said:

Yet again I have been educated Ennis. Illinois legalize date is January 2020, not sure if our particular area will have legal non medical sale. Possible as we have a medical dispensery in town. It is good to have info in the event I decide to give it a try as I am clueless.

cyclinglady Grand Master
11 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

ZigZag papers in the white package are gluten free. I smoke American Spirit tobacco (they don't use any additives it is just tobacco) and those are the papers I use. Without all the added chemicals I went from a pack and a half a day to 5 cigs a day with no effort.

Wow!  ? This is so inspiring!  Just five cigarettes a day now!  I am going to pass this on to family members who are trying cut down or stop smoking tobacco.  Save some money too!  

ravenwoodglass Mentor
16 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Wow!  ? This is so inspiring!  Just five cigarettes a day now!  I am going to pass this on to family members who are trying cut down or stop smoking tobacco.  Save some money too!  

The brand comes in filtered prerolled as well as loose tobacco and without all the extra chemicals they go out if you set them down for a minute. I live in a very high tax state so I go with the roll your own.

notme Experienced

I use a one-ee and I have extra one-ees for visitors and if I want to smoke with friends they can each have their own one-ee :)  if I gotta share a doob, I TRY to be first, then others aren't glutening me lolz.  I make somebody else lick the zag if i'm rolling, which I hardly do because ya waste too much.

my friend went to a dispensary and got a bunch of goodies, a whole bunch of pre-rolled doobs that were all different levels.  one, I was still doped up from flying, smoked it and couldn't keep my eyes open lolz

• 3 years later...
sophotter Newbie
On 9/3/2019 at 12:17 AM, ravenwoodglass said:

How sure are you of this? I've been using the white zig zags cause this comment is the only thing I could find. I'm getting gluten from somewhere, and I think it might be the zig zags?