• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

BamBam

Gluten Free And Dairy Free

Rate this topic

Thank you again for all the responses. We are going to give up dairy for awhile, but can you help us out with some dairy free/gluten free items. Bernadette doesn't eat much soy either. Soy in margarine doesn't seem to bother her but large amounts of soy bother her. We are in a small town have access to an Albertson's grocery store. Some day we are going to have a wal-mart shopping center but that is a ways down the road right now. I called Billings and a health food store is going to mail us some Pacific Almond Rice Milk. I'm hoping it has some good taste. What do you think?

We are looking for condiments, margarine, mayo, salad dressings (I think she eats Kraft okay, so skip the salad dressing part).

And just some regular ideas for breakfast and lunches.

Mr. BamBam

Thank you again for all the responses. We are going to give up dairy for awhile, but can you help us out with some dairy free/gluten free items. Bernadette doesn't eat much soy either. Soy in margarine doesn't seem to bother her but large amounts of soy bother her. We are in a small town have access to an Albertson's grocery store. Some day we are going to have a wal-mart shopping center but that is a ways down the road right now. I called Billings and a health food store is going to mail us some Pacific Almond Rice Milk. I'm hoping it has some good taste. What do you think?

We are looking for condiments, margarine, mayo, salad dressings (I think she eats Kraft okay, so skip the salad dressing part).

Mr. BamBam

Condiments wise, you'll obviously want to check ingredients, but ketchup, mustard, pickles, bbq saunce, etc. are usually safe from casein (so go with the gluten-free ones you already know). Mayo (a good one) should be eggs and oil, so check the labels.

Dairy is harder to give up that gluten, in my opinion, but it's still down to the basics - eat whole, naturally Gluten-free Casein-free foods. Breakfast might have a gluten-free cold cereal with almond milk, but why limit to that? Hot cereal (with almond milk, or water and added fruit), eggs, waffles/pancakes (also make with almond milk or water), leftovers, anything! Same with lunch (I usually take leftovers).

Mr. Bam Bam--I am also gluten-free and dairy free. For condiments and spices I use Mc Cormick's spices, Frenchs Mustard, Heinz Regular Ketchup, Smart Balance Spread. I don't like bottled salad dressings, so I always use olive oil and Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar. My lunch almost every day is a large salad with veggies and the afore mentioned dressing. If I skip that for more than a day or two, I get a bit irregular. Before I cut rice from my diet, I used Pacific Rice Milk. I didn't drink it plain, but it works great in recipes calling for milk. Also in mashed potatoes. I made a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving with it and it turned out great. Some good breakfast ideas might include Cream of Rice cereal, gluten-free toast, eggs (if tolorated), fruit, rice cakes w/ jam or nut butter, Oscar Mayer bacon, hashbrowns, etc. Albertson's has a gluten free list that they will send to you. I have an Acme nearby, and it came in handy for me at the beginning. How is your wife doing? I am sensitive to soy, also, but I can use the Smart Balance with no problems.

If she's staying away from soy, look closely at almond milks--I believe Blue Diamond has soy in it. Pacific is probably my least favorite tasting rice milk (hate to say that since you ordered it!!) But, some others like it and my dh can't tell a difference between that one and others I like. A very good tasting one you might be able to order is Full Circle orginal. I'm assuming you don't have a Wild Oats or Whole Foods nearby.

For quite a few dairy free dressings I use Annie's. However, they are more expensive and more of a speciality item, so you could also try some Kraft Italian types which are dairy free, as opposed to Ranch etc. of course. HOWEVER, many of those have soybean oil as an ingredient. Here are two Annie's dressings I like (some mainline groceries do sell them): http://www.anniesnaturals.com/Pages/nutrition/diet.htm (on left select Tuscany Italian and Low Fat Rasp)

Another option is to buy some olive oil, mix with balsamic, red wine vinegar, add honey or sugar, fruit juices, lemon etc, herbs (any combo of these) and make your own dressing.

No miracle whip, but Hellman's mayo is gluten-free/cf. Mustards too as Tiffany said.

Go here to see a very helpful list on gluten free and casein (dairy) free condiments. Do verify and read labels again upon buying... but this can help get you started.

http://www.gfcfdiet.com/CondimentsAdditives.htm

I'll try and think of more things...gotta go right now

I use Earth Balance to replace butter/margarine (it's really good!)...but if you don't have access to that....olive oil works well as a replacement too. Actually, olive oil with balsamic vinegar is a really good alternative to many condiments on quite a few things.

Breakfast ideas: eggs (you can always get hard boiled eggs if you're at a restaurant or something and want to guarantee there will be no butter involved), canadian bacon, fruit, apples with peanut butter or almond butter, fruit smoothies, buckwheat groats, hot rice cereal, gluten-free cold cereal with rice or almond milk....

...there's actually quite a bit you can make with just fruits, veggies, meat, fish, rice, lentils, beans, olive oil and the right kinds of herbs and spices. I'm gluten, dairy and (mostly) soy free and it's easier than you think when you get the hang of it.

Watch out for mayo - most of them use soybean oil so if she can handle it in small amounts she might be OK, otherwise, check for one in a health food store/area that is made with canola oil. It might be worth a trip every few months to stock up on stuff she can eat rather than ordering or trying to find it locally if you are in that small of a town. I just ordered a case of passover mayo from my grocery store (made without vinegar and I hope they can get it for me) since that is one I found I can eat and to order it, I have to order it by the case.

Soy is in everything, worse than gluten and lactose.

I use WestSoy Rice Milk which has no lactose or soy or gluten for most of my cooking and even non-family members have not noticed a difference as I watch them going back for seconds and thirds. I also like Pacific Hazlenut milk which has a nice taste but is sweeter.

Breakfast, try EnjoyLife cereals. I love their chocolate chips which are gluten, dairy, and soy free. Even their cookies are good but they do bother my stomach if I eat more than two a day but boy, those two a day are a nice treat when I do buy them.

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/

For lunches, I make enough dinner for lunch to re-heat the next day. And, kinikicks (I have no idea about the spelling) has a Web page and they have some good bread mixes that are gluten, soy, and dairy free (I use the one that is also yeast free).

I stay away from Pamela's Brownies which taste really good but really make me sick, even though they are supposed to be gluten, soy, corn, etc. free.

All vegetable oil, that I have found, has soy in it, most of fast food resturaunts use vegetable oil. I also heard, don't know if it is true, that some "light" olive oils are "watered down" with vegetable oil so I only use Extra Virgin and Canola oil. Watch out for chips, broth, soups, etc.

Chebe has a good pizza crust that I use to make my pizzas and a french style bread, just without cheese on top.

The Hellman's mayo with the yellow lid is the Canola Oil mayo. I just purchased a jar for my hubby he is on a gluten-free/cf/sf diet and he said it was very good.

Jennifer

We are not going to woryy about soy right now - just gluten and dairy. What is in Miracle Whip that she can't have? She has eaten Miracle Whip before, I didn't think there was any dairy in miracle whip?

This diet is getting more and more complicated. I hope it is worth it in the end. I eat whatever Bernadette eats.

This diet is getting more and more complicated. I hope it is worth it in the end. I eat whatever Bernadette eats.

It actually helps me to think about the diet as getting more and more simple. The more foods I eliminate from my diet, the more I stick to stuff that is simple and naturally gluten and dairy free...Maybe I am just weird. :)

sOY ONLY SEEMS TO BOTHER HER IN LARGE AMOUNTS. wE USED TO BUY SOYMILK AND SOY LATTES AND IT WAS JUST TO HARD TO DIGEST FOR HER. tHE SOY THAT IS IN DRESSINGS AND MARGARINES, WE DON'T THINK ANWYAY BOTHER HER, BUT WE WILL SEE.

For salad dressing and mayo, I always get Kraft. Almost all margarine has whey in it, so I get Earth Balance, which is made from soy. For condiments, I usually go with Kraft or Heinz. If you're looking for peanut butter, Kraft and Skippy are ok.

For Breakfast, I usually have 2 pieces of Kinnikinick toast with Smuckers blueberry jam and some fruit. I've also had leftovers from dinner the night before, omlettes, rice cakes and peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, smoothies, ect.

Here are some ideas for lunch:

- vegetable salad with Kraft french dressing.

- Thai Kitchen gluten and dairy free instant soups. http://www.thaikitchen.com/dietaryinfo.html

- left overs from dinner

- pre made gluten and dairy free pizzas

- a lot of fruit

- rice cakes and peanut butter

- fruit salad

- tinkyada noodles with Ragu sauce

- tuna tacos

- sandwiches made with Kinnikinick bread.

Mr Bambam,

Soy is a super common allergy. It does help to eliminate (and is probably better for everyone's health anyway to avoid). She may be one of the "lucky" people who are only allergic to the soy protein, and not to soy oil. This would also mean soy lecithin is ok, which will make your life much easier.

Hydrolyzed/texturized vegetable protein (if made from soy, typically is) would be something you would want to AVOID. This includes HVP/TVP, tofu, soy milk, edamame, soy nuts, or any whole soy product.

Kman and Jersey, Pamela's makes me sick too! And it tastes so good! I'm starting to wonder about ALL of their products, if there is a contamination issue in the factory (for soy at least).

Merika

Miracle whip's okay aside from the soy, which i guess you aren't worrying about in condiments...

I think they are still updating their website, but this is the other brand of rice milk I was telling you about: http://www.fullcirclefoods.com/pgProducts.htm

Breakfast ideas: rice milk and cereal (I can list some of those if you want); eggs with spinach, sausage, salt/pepper (you can make mini fritattas like this in muffin cups in advance and then reheat each morning to go); smoothie with all fruit and/or fruit juice or rice milk; cream of rice with brown sugar, flax meal; peanut butter and toast or peanut butter and apple slices

Lunch: salad w/veggies, lunch meats (deli selects-hillshire farms), beans, gluten-free/cf dressing; left over spaghetti, beans and rice; amy's microwave dinners; sandwich; sliced veggies and dressing for dipping; piece of fruit or fruit salad; dinty moore beef stew; soup-canned or homemade; chips; enjoylife or nana's cookies; plain hamburger patty; baked potato; reheated pizza; grilled chicken or leftover meat with rice or veggies; steamed or sauteed veggies (i use olive oil for most cooking)

JenVan

Bernadette drank milk last Friday or Saturday and hasn't pooped since. She hasn't had any dairy since then either. Once she gets this through her system, do you think things may be better?

Mr. BamBam

It's so hard to say since she hasn't really been completely cf for a substantial period of time yet. But, that could definitely be part of the problem. She may need to help jump-start her system moving... It is still possible that dairy and gluten are culprits...but have any doctors ever discussed the possibility of a functional disorder causing the constipation? This site lists a few of them, towards the bottom of the page... http://www.medicinenet.com/constipation/page2.htm The only thing I can think to do is go NO dairy or any grains--only meats, veggies, fruits, beans, nuts. Have you or she ever looked at the SCD diet? Has seen gone cf/dairy free now completely? How is she 'feeling' ??

JenVan

Not feeling up to par yet.

Her diet this past week included:

meat

apples

carrots

salad

Kinnickkinnick bagels

mayo

gluten free cereal

rice milk

4-5 glasses of water per day

As far as we can tell we are gluten free and dairy free/casein free for the past week. I really don't think she has had any gluten to speak of for a long time, although somebody tried to tell me that Ragu spaghetti sauce is not gluten free, so we may have a slip up there. Our kitchen is pretty much gluten free.

I just don't think she is eating right. She has no appetite, she has an appointment with a doc on Thursday of next week - I know there is depression mingled in all of this also, since she has such a problem with her system. Thank you for all your help.

Beware of some rice milks, they are not gluten- free. Rice Dream is not gluten free and it is not on the package. I had to visit their site to find that out. Some rice milks list barley or malt on their packages.

I usually don't feel too good after eating Kinnickkinnick bagels. I know they are definitely gluten-free and dairy free, but for some reason they throw me off a little (maybe it's the yeast, or something else they put in those???)

If she reacts to dairy, and she just drank a glass of milk last weekend, it might take a little longer before she feels okay.

Pls let me know how the appt goes...Depression is understandable in her situation... and you never know, it could be contributing to the issue now. She does need to be concerned though when she goes for so long w/o a bm...worries of impacting stool etc. I still recommend the psyllium until the problem is resolved.... Keep me updated...

Hi

New to all this, both message boards and Gluten-free Casein-free (soy restricted). I want to print out all your good recommendations, but I seem to get "everything" - is there a print friendly version available for your messages?

Thanks

BB22