Rate this topic

When I had more than just myself eating gluten free I used a dedicated bread maker or made quick loaves. Now that it is just me I buy a bread that is frozen (Canyon Bakehouse or Grainless Baker) and I can either thaw the whole loaf or just what I need.  There are some breads that are shelf stable like Schar that are pretty good also. Schar also makes the closest to a saltine cracker that comes with multi packages that are nice as I don't end up with half a package going stale.

>.> They say to avoid bread for awhile til you forget the taste/texture of gluten bread.

I started off buying some from the store...hated them (this was 6 years ago and they all tasted like dry cardboard), started making my own after that. TONS of issues and mistakes before I learned of my other foods issues. (I reacted to yeast in yeast breads, xantham gum, oats, became allergic to corn and dairy and issues with carbs, but everyone is different) I eventually fell to Julian Bakery grain free breads then started making my own.....I still do and even sell them at farmers markets.

I am in the US.  I know in Europe Schar has some really hearty breads with seeds in them I love.  But in the US. I think Canyon Bakehouse is about the best.  And the least amount of junk.  I love the bread a local bakery makes ( more expensive but nice to support local and its different).  I put a small piece of parchment paper between every 2 slices and put the whole loaf in the freezer in a freezer zip lock. Then, depending on the bread, I lightly toast or let thaw and microwave briefly or toast the heck out of it ( if I want toast).  A trick with a lot of gluten-free bread is to briefly heat it , even if “ fresh” . A few seconds in a microwave or a warm up in a toaster or oven.  This helps the oils soften and makes the bread less crumbly

other brands people really seem to like - Julian & Franz 

Edited by kareng