This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pe Tubes?!?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Welp our 2 1/2 yr old son(with celiac disease) has failed his FORTH successive hearing test, completely failed, total 0. I know he can hear cause he responds sounds, but this could be a part of why he is not talking.

Is there any gluten/celiac disease angles I need worry about here? They said they will put him out with gas and they have noted on his records about eggs and gluten.

Any info on this stuff would be a great help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Becky6 Enthusiast

I know nothing about that stuff. But do know that yes that is probably why he is not talking. Very common in kids with ear problems. Have you tried any signs with him? That can help a ton and get him to communicate better. I used them with my daughter since I am fluent in ASL and thought it would help her communicate earlier. It did! And she talked early as well, it really helps some kids.

VydorScope Proficient
I know nothing about that stuff. But do know that yes that is probably why he is not talking. Very common in kids with ear problems. Have you tried any signs with him? That can help a ton and get him to communicate better. I used them with my daughter since I am fluent in ASL and thought it would help her communicate earlier. It did! And she talked early as well, it really helps some kids.

Are you fluent in ASL? Or Signed English or Pigeon English?

I currently in a Signed Eglish class and started with an ASL tutor in addtion. Most deaf around here use a mixture of all three. Almost no pure ASL is used around these parts.

But yes, he can speak in sign, well his on version of ASL, more of TSL (Tymber Sign Language) :D. Drink is overn up by the check, and the volience of it is a clear indication of desire :D. "please" is two handed, and sideways LOL. "I love you" looke more like a 3... but hey it works! :D

Becky6 Enthusiast

Yep fluent in ASL. I also took most of an interpreting program but have these stupid cysts in my wrist so I can't interpret professionally. Hurts too much! I have seen it all. Signed English and modified signs! I work with children and adults with special needs so I have seen many different types over the years. Glad that he is using sign! That is great! And great that you are learning it as well!

VydorScope Proficient
Yep fluent in ASL. I also took most of an interpreting program but have these stupid cysts in my wrist so I can't interpret professionally. Hurts too much! I have seen it all. Signed English and modified signs! I work with children and adults with special needs so I have seen many different types over the years. Glad that he is using sign! That is great! And great that you are learning it as well!

I may one day get in to a professional interpreting program but for now I am getting free lessons via local churches. I started the lessons around 2 years ago, but learned about all I can in the one class, and just started the tutor last week.

nettiebeads Apprentice

I had major surgery and a couple of minor out-patient procedures after developing celiac. The gas isn't a problem with being put under. Is it an out-patient procedure? I'd just be very careful if he's offered any food by someone at the facility. Even after clearly stating CELIAC - NO GLUTEN on my menu at the hospital, I was still given crackers (individually wrapped, thank goodness) and such.

I did a semester of ASL - I thought it was neat - I would like to relearn it and go farther with it some time.

VydorScope Proficient
I had major surgery and a couple of minor out-patient procedures after developing celiac. The gas isn't a problem with being put under. Is it an out-patient procedure? I'd just be very careful if he's offered any food by someone at the facility. Even after clearly stating CELIAC - NO GLUTEN on my menu at the hospital, I was still given crackers (individually wrapped, thank goodness) and such.

I did a semester of ASL - I thought it was neat - I would like to relearn it and go farther with it some time.

Yea its outpatient. THey calim the procedure only takes 5 mins.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

Is he having tubes put into his ears? The procedure does only take 5 minutes, but they'll put him out and will want him to wake up a little before he goes home. My daughter had some cereal before she left, so just bring some crackers or a light snack (similar to toast or crackers) and some juice you know he'll like.

VydorScope Proficient
Is he having tubes put into his ears? The procedure does only take 5 minutes, but they'll put him out and will want him to wake up a little before he goes home. My daughter had some cereal before she left, so just bring some crackers or a light snack (similar to toast or crackers) and some juice you know he'll like.

Yes PE Tubes in his ears.

We are used to travling with large quanties of food, so that wont be a problem.

How long was her recovery? When did she notice a postive change?

Archived