This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Roasted Nuts

danikali

danikali Enthusiast

Wow! That's a good one...........thanks!

Half of these trigger foods don't even NEED gluten in them......they only make it harder on people like us! WHY WHY WHY???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
luvs2eat Collaborator

Sour cream!

Yep... my newly diagnosed daughter pointed out to me that the sour cream I'd been enjoying had modified food starch! You could have knocked me over with a feather!!

Regular, full fat, doesn't contain MFS, but some brands of the lite sour cream do... go figure!!

kathy1 Contributor

Twizzlers have gluten in them???

Rae Apprentice
Twizzlers have gluten in them???

Yes i think "wheat flour" to keep them from sticking.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I use Planters with no problems.

As for the bite size chocolate bars:

M & M Mars (Master Foods) (Open Original Shared Link) (800-551-9985) (vp=1-19-04)

In the USA all sizes of the following are gluten-free: Snickers, Snickers Munch, Snickers Almond, Skittles bite size, Starburst, Dove, 3Musketeers, MilkyWay Midnight (all other MilkyWay's are not gluten-free), all M & M’s except Crispy.

M & M Mars will clearly list wheat and barley in the products. The rep said they did not use oats or rye in the candy products.

M&M's (800.551.0702) (vp=09/24/02)

The following are gluten-free: Snickers (except mini's in Canada); Skittles; Starburst; Dove (milk & dark choc); Mars Almond Bar; 3Musketeers; MilkyWay Midnight (all other MilkyWay's are not gluten-free). All mini versions of the above are gluten-free except Snickers in Canada)

So in the U.S., don't worry about the sizes for these bars, but in Canada, don't eat the small Snickers. It's the same with Smarties. Smarties in the U.S. are gluten-free, but in Canada they contain gluten. WHY???????????

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Karen

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Ya know,

after 8 years, I still haven't figured out why wheat is in regular soy sauce...its not a thickening agent, it doesn't lend a flavor, not a preserative....

Absolutely no reason I can think of why Soy Sauce should have wheat as the second ingredient (its not a big deal, I buy the wheat free stuff)...

Grrrrrrrrrrr......

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
So in the U.S., don't worry about the sizes for these bars, but in Canada, don't eat the small Snickers. It's the same with Smarties. Smarties in the U.S. are gluten-free, but in Canada they contain gluten. WHY???????????

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Karen

Weird. I was at Walmart picking up some M&M's and looked at the Snickers fun size, because for some reason I thought that NO Snickers in Canada were gluten-free and oddly enough, I couldn't find anything suspicious on the fun size snickers. Of course, it's perfectly possible and even probable, that the second ingredient was wheat flour and I just didn't see it. You know, when you read something over and over and it's not until after you buy it, and you catch it on the label out of the corner of your eye.

And Karen, re: the Smarties. I'm pretty sure the U.S. doesn't have Nestle Smarties. U.S. smarties are Canadian "Rockets". You know the ones I mean? Little circles of sugar wrapped in cellophane. Rockets are gluten-free and M&Ms are superior to smarties anyway, so no loss.

NO! I'm not looking for a debate! M&Ms are better and that's that! (I have to admit, my husband would side with you on the whole smartie/m&m thing unless they are peanut m&m's and then he'd pick the Ms.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
Ya know,

after 8 years, I still haven't figured out why wheat is in regular soy sauce...its not a thickening agent, it doesn't lend a flavor, not a preserative....

Absolutely no reason I can think of why Soy Sauce should have wheat as the second ingredient (its not a big deal, I buy the wheat free stuff)...

Grrrrrrrrrrr......

I believe it's part of the fermentation process - a starch source. It's a matter of production.

minibabe Contributor
I believe it's part of the fermentation process - a starch source. It's a matter of production.

As far as that goes, I believe that is why celiac's are only supposed to have American wines and not European wines. I believe that our labeling laws are alot stricter then over in Europe. I don know for sure, but I have been told that.

Just a thought <_<

teebs in WV Apprentice
Sour cream!

Yep... my newly diagnosed daughter pointed out to me that the sour cream I'd been enjoying had modified food starch! You could have knocked me over with a feather!!

Regular, full fat, doesn't contain MFS, but some brands of the lite sour cream do... go figure!!

Not all modified food starch contains gluten - but if it doesn't specify, then assume it is not safe. I have read that most of the times in the US if it says modified food starch, it is more than likely derived from corn. But........if it doesn't say specifically, and I cannot verify it, then I don't eat it.

Not all modified food starch contains gluten - but if it doesn't specify, then assume it is not safe. I have read that most of the times in the US if it says modified food starch, it is more than likely derived from corn. But........if it doesn't say specifically, and I cannot verify it, then I don't eat it.

mightymorg Rookie
I think this one is the strangest I've seen in a while-

If you order an Omelette at IHOP, you will get glutened even if you have it specially prepared in a clean separate pan.

They add pancake batter to their omelettes - they say it makes them fluffier

OMG-My boyfriend and I almost ate at IHOP tonight, and if we were, I was going to have an omelette....thank goodness we played it cheap and ate at home!! :o

minibabe Contributor
westsoy soymilk

candies (like see's)

chicken broth

frozen foods, like veggie burgers (most brands)

dry roasted nuts (they give them out on an airplane!)

candy corn (some brands)

certain cheeses, meats (like deli)

basically any food that it seems like wouldnt need gluten for any purposes... I mean if it can taste just as good w/o the gluten, why put it in?!

I'm confused about the snickers thing though- i thought the fun size were gluten-free in US?? Am i wrong? And what about the minis? great topic by the way- interesting and so useful!!!

When my mom goes food shopping and walks past the deli counter the personnell usually run away <_< ( that was the first couple of times anyway). Anytime we order lunch meat the slicer had to be cleaned, they used to get so mad at us, I kind of felt guilty. But now they know us and they keep a dedicated food allergy slicer for us. It is great, I believe that they do cut lettuce on it in the morning, but hey its still gluten-free :D

Brachs candy corn does contain gluten but I believe that one of the cheaper brands does not. I tryed it this past Halloween and it def. tasted really different. I wonder what gluten does to canycorn that makes it so good. <_<

Amanda NY

Nantzie Collaborator

I'm going to say it yet again on this thread --

TWIZZLERS?!?!!???!?!?!?!????

Why, for the love of all that is holy would they do that?

Cornstarch people! Cornstarch! Cornstarch will keep things from sticking too!

And Pancake batter in the freaking omellettes?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy

Felidae Enthusiast
As far as that goes, I believe that is why celiac's are only supposed to have American wines and not European wines. I believe that our labeling laws are alot stricter then over in Europe. I don know for sure, but I have been told that.

Just a thought <_<

I drink European wines quite often and I have not had a problem. I am very sensitive too.

minibabe Contributor

Oh thats cool, what brand? I would love to be able to have a broader selection. :)

Amanda NY

• 1 year later...
rubylou Newbie
Yes, Nathan's.... I hate Nathan's. What the &%&^* do they need wheat in Hot Dogs for??? Killed my laid back attitude towards bbqs in the summer. We had a Bon fire a few weeks ago, and my friend brought those freaking Nathan's. I was like, "WHOA!"... Keep 'em offa the grill till my kid gets a Boar's Head hot dog done up. Just really burns me up. <_<

Ok...lemme get this straight....Nathans bad......are ballpark hotdogs ok? Oh....and, soy sauce, what brands are gluten free, and do I have to special order them? I'm new at this. I'm having trouble with trusting salad dressings also, if someone comes across a yummy ranch dressing, please let me know. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY IS SALAD DRESSING GLUTENED? Can't a girl get a break?

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Ok...lemme get this straight....Nathans bad......are ballpark hotdogs ok? Oh....and, soy sauce, what brands are gluten free, and do I have to special order them? I'm new at this. I'm having trouble with trusting salad dressings also, if someone comes across a yummy ranch dressing, please let me know. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY IS SALAD DRESSING GLUTENED? Can't a girl get a break?

As far as I know, Nathan's is the only hotdog that has wheat. For soy sauce I would say most of us use San-J Wheat Free Tamari. You can find it at any supermarket, but it may be in the organic isle rather than where the other soy sauces are. I know La Choy is also gluten-free, but most people tend not to like that.

For salad dressings, I really like Marie's parmesan ranch and creamy italian garlic. I recently had Ken's buttermilk ranch which I really liked. Although my favorite ranch dressing is the one at Outback :)

buffettbride Enthusiast
gluten-free candy that you eat all the time, like Snickers, but the snack size is not gluten-free.

Actually, snack size Snickers ARE gluten-free. My DD eats them all the time. It's the snack/fun size Hershey bars that are not gluten free.

But I agree, the snack size thing is a booger.

The most annoying non-gluten-free foods on the entire planet for me are Kellogg's cereal. There does not NEED to be barley malt in EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' ONE!

Twizzlers have wheat for elasticity, not just thickening. Either way, it's stooooopid.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Soy sauce - La Choy (although some don't like it). Kroger brand is also.

Salad Dressing - Kraft will label any gluten so find a Kraft brand you like. Also, Annie's makes salad dressing that is gluten-free and will be marked on the label (not all are gluten-free so you have to check on the back).

We make the Hidden Valley Ranch packets for ranch dip and dressing. It has MSG though, so it's not like it's GOOD for you or anything. :rolleyes:

luvthelake21 Rookie

I have seen wheat in charcoal. Wheat is in some flavors of ice cream.

home-based-mom Contributor
I have seen wheat in charcoal. Wheat is in some flavors of ice cream.

:o Charcoal? :o

I don't even see an ingredient list! Do you know which brands? ACK!

luvthelake21 Rookie

I do not know what brands have wheat in charcoal because now I use a gas grill. I had read on this forum a lady was getting sick every time she grilled a steak. So some asked her if she used charcoal and she said yes. I have looked at some charcoal bags in the past and I have seen wheat in it. If we use charcoal now we use lump coal not the briquets(sp)

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I was in a Vitamin Shoppe looking for probiotic's yesterday and found Kyo-Dophilus brand. There are several varieties to choose from, one which I had to read 4 times, and still walked away shaking my head. I decided to buy a totally different brand altogether. This is what I found on one of the bottles of Kyo-Dophilus, in the ingredients:

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

Gelatin, Cornstarch, Dextrin, Calcium Carbonate, Silica and Magnesium Stearate.

Contains trace amounts of wheat and soy.

FREE OF: Preservatives, Sugar, Sodium, Milk, Yeast, Gluten, Artificial Colors or Flavors.

Now, explain to me, how can this product be free of gluten, yet still contain trace amounts of wheat??? I decided I can not trust this company with this kind of statement.

Here is the product on their website: Open Original Shared Link

Aves Newbie

Oh, I love this forum! I was just about to post this question, and here you all are already discussing it.

I've been snacking on Walgreens Mediterranean nut mix and getting sick.

Ingredients: Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, penaut oil and/or soybean oil, salt.

Processed on shared equipment with peanut and nut containing products.

Who'da thunk?!

interesting... all the dry roasted nuts I have had have been gluten-free. have you checked with the company on the issue?
Cath4k Apprentice

The sneakiest and worst offenders for us have been:

1. Products that are labeled gluten-free, but are not either because of the PPM they allow or because of cross contamination.

2. Any freakin' item that has been run on the same line as a gluten product for processing or packaging. One organic juice company I was talking to was explaining that they do wash their lines well in between runs and they can really wash because they are liquid runs. She said dry run processing usually only blows off the lines, rather than a thorough wet wash between runs. Ug.

We are hyper-sensitive to even the smallest amounts of gluten and have been contaminated way too much!

Cathy

Archived