This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Most Annoying Comments/questions

carriecraig

CeliaCruz Rookie
Today I had a coworker tell me that he wanted to take me out to the bar, get me drunk, and make me eat a large pizza. Just to see what would happen.

Man, remember the good old days when guys used to try to get you drunk so they could date rape you? The times, they are a-changing!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
frenchiemama Collaborator
Man, remember the good old days when guys used to try to get you drunk so they could date rape you? The times, they are a-changing!

Yep. Nothing more fun that watching a girl get sick eating pizza.

Besides, how drunk would I have to be in order to eat gluten?? I would have to be unconscious.

i canary Rookie
I am very religious and had a freind in highschool tell me that if I "had enough faith in God I would be healed. And that I could build up an immunity to it as well" :blink: I don't get that my faith in God has anything to do with it. Not to mention, I see it as God helped my family find the problem that had been making us sick for years and years.

I forgot about the the fellow church member who talked to me after service a couple of months ago. He let me know it was all in my head and I needed to let God heal me by just asking for healing. He told me to come over to his house and he and his wife would help me. I couldn't get away fast enough! :wacko:

I want one of those De-Glutinizers too! :P

ianm Apprentice

I want a De-Dumb@assinizer to get rid of all the dumb@asses in my life.

Silver-naki Rookie

:D:D:D:D

I've sat here this evening reading down through all the Celiac comments & ridiculous questions that people DO throw our way----- Needless to say, I've been LAUGHING MY HEAD OFF!!! ..... and just think folks, "my" Journey is just beginning!!! {...oh help me Jesus!} :lol:

Thanks for sharing everybody.. these were great!

CMCM Rising Star
Today I had a coworker tell me that he wanted to take me out to the bar, get me drunk, and make me eat a large pizza. Just to see what would happen.

Klassy. <_<

OK..go out and eat pizza and throw up on him. Then he'd get the picture! Seriously, people without major allergies or sensitivities just don't get it. They think it's a big nothing that you can ignore if you want to. My son has peanut allergy, and we've gotten comments like "But can he eat peanut BUTTER?" Sigh. :(

Nantzie Collaborator
I always tell these kind of whack-jobs this, "Did it ever occur to you that the gluten-free diet is the answer to my prayers? I am really quite thankful that all I have to do to be "healed" is to avoid certain foods. It really could be much worse." Usually they are quite dumbfounded by this response.

Ian - I think that's the best response I've ever heard.

I'm a Christian, but I'm also a realist. Some Christians forget that if God created EVERYTHING, He created common sense and science too.

This reminds me of my favorite story about God --

There was a man who was in the middle of a flood, and the storm was still raging all around with no end in sight. He was sitting out on his roof in his rain gear, watching the flood waters go by and trying to stay under his umbrella as best as he could. A boat stops and they ask if he wants a lift. "No," he says. "I've been a good Christian my whole life, and God will save me." The people in the boat wish him well and leave.

The flood waters rise. Now only the smallest part of the roof and the chimney are out of the water. Another boat comes. The people in the boat beg him to get in the boat. The storm is still raging, with no end in sight. "God will save me", he says. The boat leaves.

The flood waters rise, rise, and rise some more, until the man is clinging to his chimney. A helicopter comes, and they beg him, "Please come with us. We won't be able to make it back again. You have to come with us right now." "No," he yells. "Don't worry about me. I have faith. I know that God will save me."

The storm continues to rage. The flood waters continue to rise.

The man drowns, and then finds himself in Heaven.

The man is very confused and upset, and decides to get some answers.

The man sees Jesus, approaches Him and says, "Lord, I don't understand. I did everything You said I should do. I was a good Christian my whole life. I kept all the comandments. I went to church every week. I tithed. I was active in my community. I helped the poor and the sick. But when I needed You, You weren't there for me. I'm very upset and confused. I just have to know why, after all of that did You allow me to drown in that storm?"

Jesus looks at the man with surprise and says, "What do you expect? I sent two boats and a helicopter."

:lol: hehehehehehe!!!! I love that one!

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jen H Contributor

The other night my dad asked if I wanted to go out and have pizza with him. My mom just rolled her eyes at me and said, "Sorry, he just doesn't get it."

Guest nini

I LOVE that one Nancy!

Packard Newbie
Actually, it usually comes up the most when im in a bar w/a group of people ordering pitchers of beer and i quietly walk to the bar and order myself vodka on the rocks. That usually stirs up a million questions about why im not drinking beer, so i usually start by saying "I'm allergic." Inevitably, from guys in their 20s, the response is: "You are allergic to beer? Thats the most awful thing i have ever heard!" (this never varies). So then i follow it up w/ "Actually, I lied. I am a celiac and cant eat anything w/ wheat, rye, barley or oats" and every single time, their responses are "Oh, ok, that makes sense." Thats it! and then they have 500 more questions about not being able to drink beer! Apparently, there is NOTHING in the world worse than not being able to drink beer! But they generally dont feel too bad for me about the rest of my diet...

I've read that beer is so highly processed that it does not impact celiacs. This seems to be an area of contention. I drink it (alcohol free) and have had no difficulties, but my condition is mild compared to others. I find that if the wheat is the 6th or 7th on the list of ingredients that I am able to eat it with no difficulty.

fisharefriendsnotfood Apprentice
I've read that beer is so highly processed that it does not impact celiacs. This seems to be an area of contention. I drink it (alcohol free) and have had no difficulties, but my condition is mild compared to others. I find that if the wheat is the 6th or 7th on the list of ingredients that I am able to eat it with no difficulty.

If you have Celiac, you are still damaging yourself even though you may not be able to feel it. If you have a wheat allergy, though, this may be your level of tolerance, like people being able to eat just a bit of soy or something.

Just thought I'd point that out just in case.

-Jackie :)

elonwy Enthusiast

The one that sets me off for some reason is "Oh that's just bad luck" WTF? My genes are bad luck? Like if I'd changed something about anything in my life along the way it wouldn't have happened to me because its just LUCK? GOD! that one drives me insane for some reason.

I get a lot of heartful "that sucks!" and "how to you cope?" I stare at them and reply "Not really" and "Pretty easily actually." I try to explain gently and calmly that the benefits outwiegh the risks and its not that hard once you figure out how.

The other one I get is "So what do you miss most?" I racked my brain trying to come up with something, pizza, beer or whatever, and realized that there was no big gaping hole in my life as far as food was concerned. I miss the ease of life most, and the ability to just blithely eat whatever is set in front of me, but other than that I'm good. So now I like that question, because it reminds me of how far I've come dealing with this diet, and the support that I do have.

And if anything has wheat anywhere in the label I'm not even that comfortable touching the package. Just saying.

Elonwy

<Off to Bevmo to look for gluten-free beer>

sillyyak Enthusiast

When some asks why I cannot eat such and such my reply is "I have a disease"... That shuts them up real fast because a) the statement is direct and true and B) they are usually too embarrassed to ask WHAT the disease is.. could be anything.. they have no idea and really it is NONE of their business. After reading these posts, it is reminding me of just how nosy people are and why I value my privacy a lot.

Becky6 Enthusiast

I have gotten several in my 6 weeks on the diet!

1.) It is all in your head you are really not better being gluten free. Um yes, I wish I could have magically wished away the joint pain and stomach issues years ago!

2.) at work they were oredring food from a pizza and Hoagie place. I told them I didn't want anything and that I can't order any more cause I am gluten free. They said you are what? Oh you are wierd!

3.) at a restaurant and we asked if they had a gluten free menu (their site said they did) and the waiteress happily brought me the Low carb menu!

4. My co-worker asked oh is that Rye bread? After knowing I am gluten-free and I said no it is gluten free rice bread. she said oh yuck! How can you eat that crap??

5. So you are gluten free huh? What can you eat besides cardboard crap?

6. My MIL said oh I got some great Veggie burgers for Belle. I said most of those have gluten can I see them. She said oh they are fine! They are Vegan! I flipped over the box and pointed out the big CONTAINS WHEAT!

nettiebeads Apprentice
I2.) at work they were oredring food from a pizza and Hoagie place. I told them I didn't want anything and that I can't order any more cause I am gluten free. They said you are what? Oh you are wierd!

Yes, you decided you wanted to have celiac on purpose just to be weird :P I think most people just open their mouths w/o engaging brain. Tiresome, but at least we all have this board to come to where people understand, sympathize, and empathize. I Love you All!

Annette

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I completely forgot one of my favorites, "So it's just like the Atkins diet."

Ummmm not quite, but good try - lol.

sillyyak Enthusiast

These comments are making me laugh..

What I have also done is bring extra food, sometimes, like gluten free cookies or gluten free cereal to work when I feel like snacking.. Sometimes I share a cookie with others who take a bite - often hesistantly - and say "OH! This is good. It is sweet".. DUH. It is a cookie just made with flour that is not wheat..

Or if someone offers me something that I cannot have, like.. a piece of cake or a chocolate I cannot have or not sure of, rather than get into a whole conversation about celiac, I simply pass on the item and say "Thank you but I am not in the mood for X right now" or "Thanks for offering, but I really do not like the taste of X"... and then they say "You DON;T LIKE THE TASTE OF X? HOW COME?".. Then I say "My taste buds don;t like the way X tastes. That is all. But THANKS for offering!" All of which is done with a smile.

mookie03 Contributor

someone i know just found out tonight and said "You cant eat bread? No wonder you are so skinny!!!" I started hysterically laughing b/c i was thinking about this post and she asked what was so funny and i said "I was dxed in June"-- she looked at me like i was crazy but i didnt feel like getting into it so i changed the subject...we should start a post "Top 5 responses to the stupid questions!"

aikiducky Apprentice

When people ask me what I can eat, I often say "a kinda asian diet, rice and veggies". That often gets people to think more positively about the whole thing, after all, millions of asian people aren't complaining... :D And then they often say something like, oh I love sushi, or something, and I'm off the hook.

Pauliina

Mo92109 Apprentice

Ok, I can't beleive no one has mentioned my favorite: When I go out with friends for dinner and we are trying to decide where to go, I ALWAYS get, no matter who the person is, "Well, YOU'RE the "picky" one, so you should decide.

Picky? Picky? Are you kidding me? Remember how I used to eat anything and everything? Now I am picky.

UGH, drives me INSANE.

Maureen

PS: I PICK to not have this disease anymore so I don't have to order a dry salad and plain hamburger patty.

CMCM Rising Star

I suppose I would have cared what people thought when I was younger, but frankly, at this point in my life I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about what I eat or don't eat. I'll just say "Sorry, can't eat that." No more explanation offered. If asked,I'll say "I can't eat wheat." End of discussion. People are insensitive, they are usually clueless, and I don't care what their reaction is! :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient
I suppose I would have cared what people thought when I was younger, but frankly, at this point in my life I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about what I eat or don't eat. I'll just say "Sorry, can't eat that." No more explanation offered. If asked,I'll say "I can't eat wheat." End of discussion. People are insensitive, they are usually clueless, and I don't care what their reaction is! :lol:

I agree completely--that's where I am in my life, too. I've been through a lot with this thing and absolutely refuse to apoligize, explain myself, or make myself sick to please anyone else. If someone is genuinely interested in learning about Celiac, I am more than happy to get the word out--other than that, I don't dwell on it, just do what I need to do. I've come a long way on this--I used to care too much what other people thought about everything. I wanted to please everyone and not make waves. Not in a mean way, but if people can't accept me for how I am now, I'm probably better off keeping my distance from them.

CeliaCruz Rookie
that's where I am in my life, too. I've been through a lot with this thing and absolutely refuse to apoligize, explain myself, or make myself sick to please anyone else. If someone is genuinely interested in learning about Celiac, I am more than happy to get the word out--other than that, I don't dwell on it, just do what I need to do.

Amen. I used to always feel the need to explain to EVERYONE exactly why I couldn't eat x, y and z. On some level I think I did that because I felt the need to apologize for something. And then that anxiety/guilt shows up in my voice and body language and totally gives everyone tacit permission to make all kinds of ignorant comments about my condition...which subsequently make me feel even more anxious, awkward and guilty. Now I just keep it simple. "I can't eat that. No thanks." If someone is genuinely curious about my condition, I'm happy to talk about it and answer questions. (Yes, I've posted more than once about annoying people in this thread, but I've also had some very nice interesting conversations with people who weren't Celiacs but had all sorts of interesting things to say about diet, health biology agriculture etc.) But ultimately my condition isn't there for people judge or gawk at. And now that I'm actually seeing genuine and noticeable results from the gluten-free diet, I'm really clear on that concept.

jerseyangel Proficient
On some level I think I did that because I felt the need to apologize for something. And then that anxiety/guilt shows up in my voice and body language and totally gives everyone tacit permission to make all kinds of ignorant comments about my condition...which subsequently make me feel even more anxious, awkward and guilty.

Yes--that is it, exactly.

Mo92109 Apprentice

You guys take all the fun out of venting. :D

Archived