This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot-dogs

Silver-naki

Silver-naki Rookie

:P Hi again Everyone!

I know since I first started Posting, the subject of "gluten-free" (and additive free) HOT-DOGS has come up. Thanks to several of you on the Forum Board here, I have done some research into the dilemma of us "hot-dogs" lovers~ Many of my questions were answered in regards to eating out and wanting a hot-dog (without the BUN of course!) and which "dogs" were safe, etc; etc;

"nini" really gave me a good "tip" on her suggestion of APPLEGATE FARMS hot-dogs & some of the meat Products, etc; I had never heard of "Applegate Farms" before, & not even sure if they sell the brand around here in my area, so I went into their Web Site to have a look around. {http://www.applegatefarms.com} and this is a very GOOD Web Site! THANKS nini!!!!! They've even got some gluten-free "turkey" dogs that I was looking for!

Sorry to report tho nini, that they do NOT carry the Applegate Farms brand in our area here, & the closest place to get them is like 300-miles away in a bigger City!!!!!!!! :angry: (figures!) Even our local grocery Stores here are NOT listed. (sniff!) But. From the Applegate Farms Web Site, a person can ORDER these Products directly from there. The price of these things are incased in gold tho... LOL :lol: compared to the .77-cent hot dogs a person can get in the Super Markets.

I am trying to plan ahead for this Summer, with the "eating out" regarding Camping trips, picnics, BBQ's and Summer events such as this. As far as the Movie Theatre's, & various Concession Stands (vendors, etc;) and the type of meats & hot-dogs they serve, (including C-Stores & Gas Station Deli's, etc;) I think some of us may be out of luck in that Department. Darn! But again, it all depends upon which area a person lives in too.... this I am finding out quickly from the Forum Board here.

All in all, I may be stuck having to "order" Products from off the Internet... especially the hot-dog "gig," because even our Health Food Stores here, do NOT carry meat items, or this particular brand. I'm hoping to be able to resolve my hot-dog issue by the time hot Summer weather & "cook-outs" come around. I also hope nini's tip of introduction to Applegate Farms helps a few on the Board here as well.... it did ME!

THANKS AGAIN nini!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Can you get Maple Leaf Top Dog hot dogs? I can't remember if you're from Idaho, or Montana, but very close to the Canadian border, right?

These are really good. But perhaps, "Only in Canada, eh?" I don't know if they are available in the States.

Guest nini

LOL! You are welcome!

Yeah, unfortunately if you have to order stuff directly from the company the price is pretty prohibitive!

I'm sure there are other Turkey Dogs that are gluten free, I just don't know which brands. We absolutely LOVE Applegate Farms though. Because they don't have any preservatives they do tend to go bad quickly once opened, so what I do is separate into individual portions, put into ziploc freezer bags and into the freezer they go... When I'm ready for hot dogs I thaw them in a sink of cold water before grilling or I just toss them in a pot of water and boil them until they float (they start out floating when they are frozen then as they thaw they sink, once they are cooked through they rise back to the top and float again)

My daughter loves their Chicken Hot Dogs... I'm partial to the Beef ones!

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Oscar Mayer is a Kraft brand. They have hot dogs and many kinds of lunch meat products. All you have to do with kraft is read the labels. They clearly list ingredients. Hope you enjoy your hot dog. I made corndogs the other day with some oscar mayer hot dogs. They were tasty.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

:P Hi again Everyone!

I know since I first started Posting, the subject of "gluten-free" (and additive free) HOT-DOGS has come up. Thanks to several of you on the Forum Board here, I have done some research into the dilemma of us "hot-dogs" lovers~ Many of my questions were answered in regards to eating out and wanting a hot-dog (without the BUN of course!) and which "dogs" were safe, etc; etc;

"nini" really gave me a good "tip" on her suggestion of APPLEGATE FARMS hot-dogs & some of the meat Products, etc; I had never heard of "Applegate Farms" before, & not even sure if they sell the brand around here in my area, so I went into their Web Site to have a look around. {http://www.applegatefarms.com} and this is a very GOOD Web Site! THANKS nini!!!!! They've even got some gluten-free "turkey" dogs that I was looking for!

Sorry to report tho nini, that they do NOT carry the Applegate Farms brand in our area here, & the closest place to get them is like 300-miles away in a bigger City!!!!!!!! :angry: (figures!) Even our local grocery Stores here are NOT listed. (sniff!) But. From the Applegate Farms Web Site, a person can ORDER these Products directly from there. The price of these things are incased in gold tho... LOL :lol: compared to the .77-cent hot dogs a person can get in the Super Markets.

I am trying to plan ahead for this Summer, with the "eating out" regarding Camping trips, picnics, BBQ's and Summer events such as this. As far as the Movie Theatre's, & various Concession Stands (vendors, etc;) and the type of meats & hot-dogs they serve, (including C-Stores & Gas Station Deli's, etc;) I think some of us may be out of luck in that Department. Darn! But again, it all depends upon which area a person lives in too.... this I am finding out quickly from the Forum Board here.

All in all, I may be stuck having to "order" Products from off the Internet... especially the hot-dog "gig," because even our Health Food Stores here, do NOT carry meat items, or this particular brand. I'm hoping to be able to resolve my hot-dog issue by the time hot Summer weather & "cook-outs" come around. I also hope nini's tip of introduction to Applegate Farms helps a few on the Board here as well.... it did ME!

THANKS AGAIN nini!

jerseyangel Proficient

I buy Oscar Mayer, also. They taste good chopped up and mixed with Bush's Baked Beans!

I just thought of another brand. Jennie O. They have turkey hot dogs. I know that I can find them at the local wal-mart here.

Guest gfinnebraska

The Kosher hot dogs (can't think of the brand) at Walmart and Sam's club are gluten-free. I love them!!! At Sam's they are the really big ones ~ great for camping, etc. Yum!! I also chop them up and put them in Bush's Beans... made into Boston Baked beans (add brown sugar, molasses, ketchup, mustard & bbq sauce). :)

**** Thanks broncobux... Hebrew National is the name I was trying to think of!!! They are my fav!!! ****

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

are all jennie-o hot dogs safe, or only certain ones? the stores around here carry them and they are usually less expensive!

christine

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Hebrew National Hot Dogs are gluten free (and Kosher) and awesome!

Easily my favorite type of Hot Dog!!

www.kinnikinnick.com sells gluten-free hot dog buns...

Open Original Shared Link

Jnkmnky Collaborator

We like Boar's Head. All of their products now say GLUTEN FREE right on the label!! They gave me a call at home after I inquired about the gluten-free status of a product and informed me that their entire line of products is now gluten free. NICE! :)

Here is the gluten free list from Jennie O

WRANGLERS® Franks

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Refrigerated/Frozen Items Not Containing Gluten

JENNIE-O® Prime Young Turkey: fresh or frozen (the gravy packet does contain gluten)

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Oven Ready Turkey: Homestyle, Garlic & Herb

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Oven Ready Turkey Breast (the gravy packet does contain gluten)

JENNIE-O® Frozen Turkey Breast (the gravy packet does contain gluten)

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Fresh Ground Turkey: Lean, Extra Lean, Italian

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Fresh Lean Turkey Patties

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Fresh Tray: Breast Slices, Breast Strips, Tenderloins

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Fresh Breakfast Sausage: Mild Links, Mild Patties, Maple Links

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Fresh Dinner Sausage: Sweet Italian, Hot Italian, Cheddar Turkey Bratwurst, Lean Turkey Bratwurst

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Premium Dinner Sausage: Garlic & Herb, Sweet Italian, Cajun Style, Bacon & Cheddar, Apples & Brown Sugar

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Flavored Tenderloins: Lemon-Garlic, Seasoned Pepper, Tequila Lime

JENNIE-O® Refrigerated Turkey Ham

JENNIE-O® Refrigerated Honey Cured Turkey Ham

JENNIE-O® Refrigerated Dark Turkey Pastrami

JENNIE-O® Festive TENDER CURED™ Turkey

JENNIE-O® Refrigerated Qtr Turkey Breasts: Oven Roasted, Honey Cured, Hickory Smoked, Cracked Pepper, Cajun-Style, Sun-Dried Tomato

JENNIE-O® Extra Lean Turkey Bacon

JENNIE-O® Turkey Franks

JENNIE-O® Extra Lean Smoked Turkey Sausage

JENNIE-O® Extra Lean Smoked Kielbasa Turkey Sausage

JENNIE-O® Smoked Turkey Wings and Drumsticks

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® SO EASY Slow Roasted Turkey Breast

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® SO EASY Stuffed Breasts: Broccoli & Cheese, Pepper Cheese & Rice, Swiss Cheese & Ham

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® SO EASY Glazed Breast Filets: BBQ, Honey Glazed

JENNIE-O® Pan Roasts with Gravy: White, White/Dark Combo

JENNIE-O® Frozen Ground Turkey

JENNIE-O® Frozen Ground Seasoned Turkey

JENNIE-O® Frozen Turkey Burgers

JENNIE-O® BREAKFAST LOVER'S® Turkey Sausage

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Deli Items Not Containing Gluten (Partial List)

Always ask Deli Manager for a list of ingredients prior to purchase. We do not hide any gluten ingredients under "flavoring".

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Deli Chicken Breast: Buffalo Style, Oven Roasted, Mesquite Smoked

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Smoked Turkey Breast: Mesquite, Hickory, Honey Cured

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Oven Roasted Turkey Breast

JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast: Cracked Pepper, Sun Dried Tomato, Garlic Pesto, Honey Cured

JENNIE-O® NATURAL CHOICE® Turkey Breast: Oven Roasted, Peppered, Tender Browned

JENNIE-O® GRAND CHAMPION® Turkey Breast: Oven Roasted, Tender Browned, Mesquite Smoked, Homestyle Pan Roasted, Hickory Smoked, Honey Cured

JENNIE-O® Turkey Breast: Oven Roasted, Peppered, Smoked, Tender Browned, Italian Style, Honey Maple, Honey Mesquite, Maple Spiced, Apple Cinnamon, Tomato Basil, Mesquite Smoked, Garlic Peppered, Hot Red Peppered, Smoked Peppered

NORWESTERN® Deli Turkey: Oven Roasted, Turkey Pastrami, Hickory Smoked

Open Original Shared Link

Hope that helps out!

are all jennie-o hot dogs safe, or only certain ones? the stores around here carry them and they are usually less expensive!

christine

Silver-naki Rookie

:) Thanks for the Post here....

I'm originally from Montana, & yes, was very close to the border of Canada. I'm now in Idaho, so am about a 9-hour drive away from the Canadian border. I have never heard of the "Maple Leaf Top" hot-dog brands, so I looked it up on the Internet. It appears they are solely a Canadian based Company, and they didn't show their Products to be in the States anywhere.... except for some "branch-offs" of their Family Brands of meat. None of these brands looked familiar to me either, especially around here! :lol:

Wish we did have more of a variety of hot-dogs tho, that would be nice! Thanks for your input here!

I'm sure there are other Turkey Dogs that are gluten free, I just don't know which brands. We absolutely LOVE Applegate Farms though. Because they don't have any preservatives they do tend to go bad quickly once opened, so what I do is separate into individual portions, put into ziploc freezer bags and into the freezer they go... When I'm ready for hot dogs I thaw them in a sink of cold water before grilling or I just toss them in a pot of water and boil them until they float (they start out floating when they are frozen then as they thaw they sink, once they are cooked through they rise back to the top and float again)

Hi again nini!

Gee thanks for the advise here on the Applegate Farms hot-dogs! If I decide to ever order any from off the Internet, I will remember what you said about cooking them and all! {"Floating" hot-dogs, huh? Laugh! :lol: } THANKS nini!

Hello Jessica!

Thanks for the good advice on the Oscar Meyer hot-dogs here! Gee, I still am so curious as to which hot-dogs most of the Dining Out places do use??? Guess I'll have to ask, & see what kind of a "dumb-founded" look I might get! LOL! :D I'm still learning alot about various meats & things..... THANKS MUCH!

I buy Oscar Mayer, also. They taste good chopped up and mixed with Bush's Baked Beans!

WOW Patti! Good tip here! ... I didn't know Bush's Baked Beans were gluten-free, but evidentially, huh? I haven't gotten that far in my Food research, so I really appreciate you mentioning this! THANKS! Cheers!!

:):) Whoa~ Jessica!!!!!! Thanks for the list here of Jennie-O brands!!! They do carry Jennie-O here where I live (thankfully) and I love their Turkey dogs!!! This is great, thank you for the info!!! Hugs! :D

Thanks Kimberly & boncobux!

I have not heard of the Kosher or the Hebrew National brand hot-dogs, but that is not to say they don't have them in our Grocery Stores.... I will have to browse around & see if I can find any of these brands as well. Thanks much everyone, for your input here! This is great!!!

junieb Rookie

Wellshire Kids - same brand as the dino nuggets. Applegate Farms can be found at Whole Foods / Fresh Fields (I think their other name is Bread & Circus.). Perhaps a local health food store would order a certain item for you.

Silver-naki Rookie

Thanks here junieb! Gee, I had no idea there were so many brands of HOT-DOGS out there! :lol: My biggest problem {again} is living way out here in the Wild West, & our Store selections, & also "brands" are very scant, to say the least. But. The more I go out shopping, maybe I will find more brand-names that I never knew existed either! Now that I am "gluten-free," it will be more of a habit to "keep my eyes peeled" for brands & labels! THANK YOU!

Guest Viola

Butterball turkey franks are also gluten free and very good :P

Silver-naki Rookie
Butterball turkey franks are also gluten free and very good :P

THANKS SHIRLEY! :)

... Gee, everybody has given me some really great "tips" on various brands of Hot-dogs to look for! I will have to see what they have available in our area here~ Thanks! :rolleyes:

Archived