Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

justJenn2018

Yucatan peninsula and buffet advice

Rate this topic

This will be my first trip away from home after my diagnosis last year. We are spending 2 weeks in Puerto Aventuras and Cozumel. Most of our vacation will be spent in resorts and I'm hoping for some basic overall advice on avoiding cross contamination. My Spanish is strong enough to convey my concerns in restaurants but the all-inclusive buffets are anxiety provoking! How have you dealt with this? TIA! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Have you contacted them?  I have heard that a lot of these resorts are doing a good job of gluten-free.  

If you have to eat at buffets, get a chef to show you what is actually gluten-free.  They might get you some fresh from the kitchen . Or you might find there is no gluten .  For example, you might find a nice salad bar and the only gluten is in croutons placed at the end.  Or a taco bar with no gluten at all.  

I actually prefer buffets when traveling because you can usually find things that are safe. Consider taking enzymes with you like GliadinX (they are a sponsor here), as they are designed to help with inadvertent cross contamination. Ask questions to the chef and have fun! Merida is great, don’t miss Uxmal or Chitzen Itza!