This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help!

feedjake92

feedjake92 Rookie

Hmm...not sure where to start.... I guess I will start with my son. About 5 years ago I started researching answers for my son's behavior problems. He was found to have ADHD, gluten and casein intolerances as well as allergies to other foods. He has been on a gluten free casein free diet for about 5 years, and we are still learning.

I have basically been on his diet in order to keep him on it, but I do cheat much more often than he does. I did notice some improvement in my sinus problems and some bowel changes when I started eating the Gluten-free Casein-free diet. I also noticed that I seem to have problems with certain foods such as severe stomach pains with eggs and broccoli and oatmeal constipates me. Since Christmas I have eaten more things more frequently that are not Gluten-free Casein-free. I have become increasingly tired. I ache all the time especially in the mornings. My back muscles stay extremely tight to spite buying a new mattress. I have a rash on the back of my neck that won't go away and have been getting sores in my mouth. My mouth got real bad last week, my tongue felt 3 times its normal size making it difficult to pronouce words. My GI track was a mess from my mouth on down. I can't say I really have diarrhea but mostly constipation with occassional loose stools. Anyway I finally went to the doctor about my mouth which was almost healed by the time I got the appointment. He did a CBC which was off. He said I may be deficient in folic acid and vitamin B12 and said to take vitamins and come back to have the blood tests again in 3 months. Since my appointment I have noticed tiny blister like bumps on my knees (only a few) that itch. (I can't see the rash on my neck so not sure what it looks like.) Also, over the past who knows how long, I can't seem to think straight, my brain seems to be in a fog all the time, and for a long time I have been fighting depression.

Ok, for the questions. I am wondering that with my son's problems might I have had undiagnosed celiac disease? If I take vitamins for 3 months, whether or not I keep eating gluten, will that mask any deficiencies that are there due to malabsorption? I feel that from what I eat, I should not be deficient in either B12 or folic acid. Should I take the vitamins, wait three months and see what happens or ask the doctor to do the blood tests for celiac disease or refer me to a gastroenterologist?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

Talk to your doctor about the changes the diet has made for you. It sounds like you went gluten-free, then started eating some again, and your body is now throwing a fit at you because it doesn't like gluten! Since your son is gluten-intolerant, he most likely inherited it from someone: you! Taking vitamins will not mask the symptoms of celiac. Being gluten-free will make the tests come back a false negative, unless you do the Enterolab tests. I wouldn't wait three months. Three months is a long time to not feel well.

Guest jhmom

HI feedjake92,

I would make an apt to see either your Gastro or Family doc as soon as possible and talk to them about the symptoms you are experiencing. I sugget making a list of your symptom, making notes of when they started and how long they last. Also keep a food diary or everything you eat, that way it will give your doctor a much broader view of your health problems.

Good luck to you and God Bless

Archived