Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

So I was diagnosed yesterday with Celiac (had a biopsy and it came back positive). I am thin, and don't want to gain any weight. But everything I am seeing online is that going gluten free causes everyone to gain weight and I'm so scared. I've already been trying to cut back as much as possible when eating gluten free. 

I was previously anorexic and had just recovered when I received the news I was celiac, so this is very hard for me - being so restricted and unable to enjoy food anymore. Now I am just scared I will gain.

So my question is - do people gain weight because of the choices they make when going gluten free? Or is my body just going to put on weight no matter how little I eat? Like I said, I will cut back if needed. Any input is appreciated! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  

You should not put on weight unless you eat lots of gluten free processed junk food.  Whether it is a gluten free cookie or a wheat-filled cookie is pretty much the same in terms of calories.  I hope your GI was able to have you work with a dietician.  It can be very helpful.  

Focus on non-processed foods like meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. to help speed healing.  Avoid eating out until you really master the diet and see health improvement.  Read all you can about avoiding cross contamination.  The forum is a great resource as are celiac organizations.  

You can still enjoy food — not gluten.  Soon your new diet will become normal. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cycles is right, avoid the processed gluten-free baked goods and concentrate on meats, nuts, veggies and eggs.  Some times people new the gluten-free diet will try to replace all their previous gluten favorites with gluten-free versions.  But the gluten-free versions may not have similar nutritional value or even may have more sugar and starch.  It can be hard to get gluten-free baked goods to taste like what people expect from before.

You may find yourself feeling much better and have more energy after a few months of gluten-free eating.  It takes time for the gut to heal but as it does you will begin to absorb more vitamins and minerals.  That is a very good thing and will help your body heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took years for me to gain muscle mass back lol. But seriously stay away from the gluten free breads, cookies, etc. MOST will use tons of starches and other grains and is a glucose bomb and more unhealthly then the gluten ones.

Stick to a lower carb diet and you should be fine, I went keto to deal with my other issues but maintain a 7-14% body fat depending on bulking or cutting. Everyone is a bit different but for me I use higher fat lower protein to gain then cut out I just lower my fat intake up my lean protein and my body trims everything off while maintaining most of the muscle mass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Welcome!  

You should not put on weight unless you eat lots of gluten free processed junk food.  Whether it is a gluten free cookie or a wheat-filled cookie is pretty much the same in terms of calories.  I hope your GI was able to have you work with a dietician.  It can be very helpful.  

Focus on non-processed foods like meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. to help speed healing.  Avoid eating out until you really master the diet and see health improvement.  Read all you can about avoiding cross contamination.  The forum is a great resource as are celiac organizations.  

You can still enjoy food — not gluten.  Soon your new diet will become normal. 

 

 

13 hours ago, GFinDC said:

Cycles is right, avoid the processed gluten-free baked goods and concentrate on meats, nuts, veggies and eggs.  Some times people new the gluten-free diet will try to replace all their previous gluten favorites with gluten-free versions.  But the gluten-free versions may not have similar nutritional value or even may have more sugar and starch.  It can be hard to get gluten-free baked goods to taste like what people expect from before.

You may find yourself feeling much better and have more energy after a few months of gluten-free eating.  It takes time for the gut to heal but as it does you will begin to absorb more vitamins and minerals.  That is a very good thing and will help your body heal.

 

11 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

It took years for me to gain muscle mass back lol. But seriously stay away from the gluten free breads, cookies, etc. MOST will use tons of starches and other grains and is a glucose bomb and more unhealthly then the gluten ones.

Stick to a lower carb diet and you should be fine, I went keto to deal with my other issues but maintain a 7-14% body fat depending on bulking or cutting. Everyone is a bit different but for me I use higher fat lower protein to gain then cut out I just lower my fat intake up my lean protein and my body trims everything off while maintaining most of the muscle mass. 

So basically, it's still the whole 'calories in / calories out' method? Because I've always eaten pretty healthy minus the occasional pizza, and I'm currently eating lots of fruits and vegetables. I was scared the weight gain was out of my control, but it sounds like my metabolism will be the same I just need to keep making healthy choices, is that right? I think my main concern was my metabolism slowing down or something. Thank you for the helpful responses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may lose some water weight also.  Celiac disease causes inflammation and swelling in some people.  So you may find that you lose a some water weight as the inflammation goes away.

One thing that some people report is a temporary increase in hunger after going gluten-free.  That is not  a bad thing and is usually not going to last for long.  Your body starts healing and needs more nutrients to build new gut cells after going gluten-free.  That temporary hunger increase is helpful for your body to heal quickly.

I know my face was sometimes swelled up and puffy looking before going gluten-free.  So were my hands and arms.  But that all went away after gluten-free and several months time.

Edited by GFinDC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...