This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are Your Favorite Things From "whole Foods" ?

kathy1

kathy1 Contributor

I am planning to make my very first trip to "whole foods" in a few weeks. It is about a 1 & 1/2 hr drive, so its not likely I can make the trip often. To make the most of visit and since I am still so new at this gluten-free thing, I would like to try some of "your" favorites.

The Whole Foods website has a huge list of gluten-free items, and that is wonderful to have options again, but it can also be overwelming. Which one's should I try, any I should stay away from?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini
I am planning to make my very first trip to "whole foods" in a few weeks. It is about a 1 & 1/2 hr drive, so its not likely I can make the trip often. To make the most of visit and since I am still so new at this gluten-free thing, I would like to try some of "your" favorites.

The Whole Foods website has a huge list of gluten-free items, and that is wonderful to have options again, but it can also be overwelming. Which one's should I try, any I should stay away from?

Call that particular Whole Foods and MAKE SURE they have the gluten free bakehouse line in stock! If they do you are in luck! My local Whole Foods keeps them in the freezer section and we LOVE the blueberry muffins, banana bread, pizza crust, corn bread, and chocolate chip cookies...

Other brands they usually carry are Enjoy Life Foods, The Gluten Free Pantry, Applegate Farms Deli Meats, Hot Dogs and Sausages (carry a cooler) Ener-G, and Glutino

I love the Enjoy Life Foods No Oats Oatmeal Cookies and the snack bars, Very Berry and Caramel Apple

have fun and hope you get some goodies you like!

Jenn2005 Contributor

We got the pizza crust and chocolate chip cookies from their Gluten Free Bakehouse also and they were great. We also got a loaf of the gluten-free fresh bread and it was good too. The closest one to us is also about 1 1/2 hours away so we don't get there to often either.

Jennifer

Noelle126 Apprentice

I LOVE their cream biscuits!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Anything from the Gluten Free Bakehouse--sandwich and cinnamon raisin breads (they freeze well), blueberry and pecan pies, pizza shell are really good. Enjoy Life Gingerbread Spice Cookies. Tinkayda Pasta. Gluten Free Pantry Mixes--their Truffle Brownie Mix is the best, in my opinion. Happy shopping :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

Two things, primarily: Ruth's Hemp Bars and Perky's Nutty Rice. (Their store-brand gluten-free bread has dairy... everything except for the muffins, which are too rich for my tastebuds.)

Guest barbara3675

Their cinnamon rainsin bread is "to die for" so good. They also carry pretzles by Energy with sesame seeds that are light and nice. I have tried some of the other things that have been mentioned, namely the truffle brownies, make them like the package says and when they come out of the oven, sprinkle a lot of Junior Mints on and just leave them. What a treat. I would think that anything from their own bakery would be delightful....give it a try. I am going to take my 87 year old mother there in a couple of weeks....she has just started eating gluten-free and I have been eating that way for a year and a half, and I am 60. You are never too old to get smart.

Best wishes. Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IronedOut Apprentice
They also carry pretzles by Energy with sesame seeds that are light and nice.

I agree with Barbara - those pretzels are great.

I spent 2 hours at Whole Foods today (it's an hour from us) just browsing through all the gluten-free stuff. Be sure to pick up a list at the customer service desk of the foods they carry. Each store has one just for them, since they don't all carry the same products.

Happy shopping. :P

Nantzie Collaborator

Tinkyada pasta!!! Buy a few packages if you're a pasta lover.

Ener-G Wheat Free Crackers - (they're also gluten free). Comes in a little tiny box about the size of a box of poptarts. These have been a life-saver for me. I've never been much of a bread person, but I didn't know how I was going to handle not having crackers. These are great. They remind me a little bit of those Carr's Water Crackers. I use them for tuna salad or cheese. They don't fall apart, and I put a ton of tuna salad on mine.

I'm not much of a pancake person, but I've heard a lot of people recommend the Pamela's pancake mix if you like that kind of thing.

The Gluten-Free Bakehouse peanut butter cookies were a hit with my kids.

Amy's brand frozen dinners. Some are gluten-free, and some aren't, so check the labels. I've loved the black bean and vegetable enchilada's for probably 15 years now, and never knew what gluten was or why they mentioned that it was gluten free. They're great with sour cream. Yummy!

Nancy

kevsmom Contributor

The closest Whole Foods is also over an hour away from me. The first couple of times that I went there the Gluten Free Bakehouse was out of most of their frozen products. It was so disappointing.

Now, usually about a week before I plan to go to Whole Foods, I call them and ask for the bakery. I place a order, and tell them when I will be in to pick it up. I usually order things by the case, since I don't get their too often, but you don't have to. They will order the items that I want and place them in the freezer with my name on the boxes.

I love the Cranberry/Orange Scones, Blueberry Muffins and the Cinnamon Raisin Bread (It makes great french toast).

Enjoy your shopping trip! :rolleyes:

Cindy

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Everything I've tried from the Gluten-Free Bakehouse has been GREAT! Kind of expensive though. I also like the Lara Bars....they are on the snack aisle at my Whole Foods.

ianm Apprentice

I was at Whole Foods today and they are planning on getting gluten free beer in about a month. :P They wouldn't say what brand because it is not a done deal. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa Claus.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
The closest Whole Foods is also over an hour away from me. The first couple of times that I went there the Gluten Free Bakehouse was out of most of their frozen products. It was so disappointing.

Does Gluten-Free Bakehouse have frozen products? In my Whole foods nothing is frozen...everything is in the bread section. Are these the same products but some stores stock them in the freezer section? :unsure:

Mango04 Enthusiast

Organic cranberry harvest trail mix, the organic peanut and almond butters you make yourself (by pushing that button on the machine), mary's gone crackers, alpsnack bars, clif nectar bars, arrowhead mills pancake mix, arrowhead mills maple buckwheat flakes, Fabe's macaroons, 365 organic rice milk...I'm realizing I could go on forever - so I'll leave it at that!

At my Whole Foods they have these bright red "gluten free" lables on the shelves in front of all the gluten free products. It's pretty awesome!

Never tried the gluten-free bakehouse items due to the dairy issue :-(. I really wish they would make dairy free versions of all that stuff....

Guest nini
Does Gluten-Free Bakehouse have frozen products? In my Whole foods nothing is frozen...everything is in the bread section. Are these the same products but some stores stock them in the freezer section? :unsure:

apparently... at the one my dad shops at in Florida they are just in the bakery section, where I shop they used to keep them in the bakery then moved them to the freezer section because too many people were returning them or calling and complaining that they were going bad really fast. Since they don't have preservatives maybe some of the stores are opting to keep them frozen to prolong their shelf life. I think they told me they all arrive frozen anyway.

mightymorg Rookie

I'm glad that their regular breads from the bakehouse line are getting good reviews-I wanted to get one, but their bakehouse items are a tad pricey, so I settled for their carrot bread. I gotta say I wasn't too impressed, as the texture was off-kinda grainy, almost crumbly.

I love Tinkyada products, Thai Kitchen things, and Gluten Free Pantry mixes-especially the spice cake!

mouse Enthusiast

I like the Kinninnick bread better then the Whole Foods brand, but my Whole Foods stopped stocking the K brand to make room in the freezer for theirs. I do like the Apple Pies, but they have been out of the Blueberry when we have gone. It is also a trip for us and so we only go once a month. I will have to remember to call first and order the Blueberry Pie. I love the Vegetas Sweet Potato Tamales and plan to buy a lot more on my next visit. I really like the Vans Wheat Free Waffles. I also buy a gluten free beer called SARA and it is a Buckwheat Ale. It is a dark ale, but when you take the cork out you lose some, just like champagne. I don't mind the taste, but I really use it for when I need it for cooking - like beer butt chicken on the grill. Happy Shopping and be sure and take a large cooler. They will give you ice to keep the freezer items cold. Armetta

kevsmom Contributor

Rachel -

The Whole Foods that I go to in MD has a freezer in the back by the breads. I've never been to another Whole Foods so I don't know if it's the same stuff.

Cindy

Jen H Contributor

I love their bread. I've been buying the "Food for Life" bread and the slices are so small. The whole foods bread makes me feel like I'm eating a real sandwich again. They also have a marinade called "Bone Sucking Sauce" that's really good. It's a tangy sweet and sour sauce that I put on my chicken. The bread and the sauce are a bit expensive, but it's the only thing I splurge on.

debmidge Rising Star

Brown Cow Maple yogurt :)

Our WF in Millburn, NJ used to sell the Bakehouse stuff with other breads but obviously they didn't sell quickly enough. We bought a cornbread that by the next day had greenmold on it. Now they only sell these goods in freezer section. They don't sell the Kinnickinnk bread at all :(

kathy1 Contributor

Thank you everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I will compile a list of your favorites and take to the store with me. I will be sure to pick up the list of gluten-free items at the store. I am hoping to find things that I can't get at the local health food store. gluten-free crackers are hard to find, and gluten-free bread crumbs...impossible to find. I wonder if Whole Foods makes bread crumbs from any leftover stale bread??

mightymorg Rookie

Whole Foods *should* sell gluten-free breadcrumbs; both of the ones near me sell 2 different kinds, I think. I bought a can, and I love it, and it stays crispy and doesn't absorb too much moisture. If I could remember the brand I'd tell you, but I forget!

kathy1 Contributor
Whole Foods *should* sell gluten-free breadcrumbs; both of the ones near me sell 2 different kinds, I think. I bought a can, and I love it, and it stays crispy and doesn't absorb too much moisture. If I could remember the brand I'd tell you, but I forget!

mightymorg, you have made my day!!!! I couldn't believe how much I was missing bread crumbs!!

debmidge Rising Star

we prefer Holgrain gluten-free bread coating. Be prepared, it doesn't have any flavorings in it like garlic or onion but can be "doctored" up. We feel it tastes better than Gilllians.

lpellegr Collaborator

If you bake from scratch, you will find lots of the odd flours and raw ingredients you need at Whole Foods. Rice flours, tapioca, potato starch flour, buckwheat, egg replacer, xanthan gum, etc. If it's in the Gluten-Free Gourmet cookbooks, you'll probably be able to find it at Whole Foods. And the frozen pizza crusts and Prairie Bread from their gluten-free bakery are great.

Archived