This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Anyone Juicing?

Guest Rad

Guest Rad

With malabsorption problems being associated with Celiac Disease, it would seem to me that fresh vegetable juice would be absorbed faster or better, but I'm new to your Message Board so would like to get your opinions. I have purchased a juicer and the taste of fresh vegetable juice is invigorating.

Dianna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

I imagine the juice would go faster in to the blood stream. Eating the vegetables they would take longer to digest but I think both ways are good and if you prefer the juice then I would go with that. I do fruit and I like to make smoothies and eat the fruit. The best of both worlds in my opinion.

tarnalberry Community Regular

you don't get quite all the nutrients in the juice, of course (particularly fiber), but that's not to say it's bad for you, of course. ;-) I plan on getting a juicer eventually (other things to spend the money on at the moment), so I can make some more esoteric juices.

minibabe Contributor

It is a fact, that making your own juice is better then drinking any of the bottled juices. Also it is easier for your body to digest, fruit juice sits in the stomach for about 45 minutes, while a piece of fruit only sits in the stomach for about 30 minutes. Dried fruits and Banannas also sit in the stomach for about 45 minutes. But eating fruits and vegatables in the morning is very refreshing beacuse it is easily digestable and you gain energy from it rather then eating a huge breakfast and loosing energy becasue it is harder to break down. I just got a juicer for christmas :)

Amanda NY

LqrMan Newbie

No, but I am Gellin'!

VydorScope Proficient

WEll, I owned a jucier, I though it be great fresh fruit and veggie juice and all that. Got the "Juiceman" or somthing like that. Well we ended up giving it away. It was ALOT or work and you ahve to drink the juice right away, and a huge mess to clean. I guess the plan is you loose all you wieght in the work out you get making/cleaning the machine!!!

Its also A LOT (spelled E-X-T-R-E-M-L-Y) more expensive then buying bottled juices.

So, while the flavor is much nicer, and you might get more nutrition... the work and cost is not worth it, IMO.

Nadtorious Rookie

I got a champion juicer for Xmas and I love it! I make apple carrot juice almost every morning, and my own peanut butter and lots of other goodies. Sometimes when I don't feel like a "solid" breakfast, I'll just have a big glass of juice. And it's not that expensive-I buy big bags of carrots and apples and it probably costs nearly the same as bottled juices-cheaper than the really fancy stuff like Odwalla and Naked juice.

One thing I have noticed though, is that when I juice apples, I have to peel them, as I think the wax they coat them with upsets my tummy :blink:

Nadia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Silver-naki Rookie

... In everyone's opinion here, what is about the best "Juicer" to buy out on the Market?? Any suggestions?? Thanks!

ianm Apprentice

I'm with Vydorscope on this one. I got one as a gift a few years ago and found it to be more trouble than it was worth.

Ann1231 Enthusiast

I got a Jack LaLanne juicer about two years ago and it's still going strong. Easy to use, easy clean up. I feel great when I'm juicing, I like to juice apples, a really small piece of fresh ginger, pour in a cup and stir with a cinnamon stick. It's a great one to drink at night, helps me sleep. Juiced cantaloupe and pear together is great, easy to drink too much though, lots of sugar. I also juice cucumbers, spinach, carrots, just about anything I can get.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Now, I know this comes from a cookbook, and that means it's not the most unbiased source of information, but the raw foods cookbook I have note that there are a couple different types of juicer - they physically work different - and you may find that one works better for a particular need than another. so, research is in order. if I get one, it will likely be a champion, but they're pricey, and it's not a need.

Claire Collaborator

I gave my daughter a juicer for Christmas. I will let you all know her evaluation of the Omega 8005 - the 8003 and 8005 are the latest In the Omega line. See Dr. Mercola'a website for a review. It is supposedly quiet, very quick and easy to clean, produces very dry pulp and it handles greens which many juicers do not. Omega is very highly rated.

Why hasn't she used it yet? Somebody in the shipping process apparently dropped it - jarring the condenser out of its' cradle. She is waiting the replacement. Claire

rmmadden Contributor

I prescribe to the Juicing = better asborption theory. I have been juicing on-and-off for the past year (It is a lot of work but it's worth it).

The expense can be great but if you're diligent you can find ways to cut-the-costs. Last fall I went an picked 3 bushels of apples ($10 per bushel....1 bushel = 2 paper grocery bags filled) and store them in my garage. The apples keep for months as long as the temps stay cool (I have eaten apples in March that I picked in October). Not all brands of apples store well so you should talk to your local grocer or farmer etc. to find out which brands are heartier than others (Melrose and Johnathan are good keepers). I also buy organic carrots and other items when on-sale to save money.

I prefer apple/carrot/celery juice. I also have enjoyed apple/beet/ginger. Cucumber also adds a nice flavor for a different slant on the same-old.

Hope this helps,

Cleveland Bob B)

jenvan Collaborator

(Rob-I have to say I thought of the "gellin" commerical when I saw this thread too : )

Guest Rad

You're going to have to fill me in on "the gellin" television commercial. By choice, I don't own a television.

Dianna

Maureen Rookie

I juice for my family almost every morning. I just love the thought of sending my kids off to school with a stomach full of carrots and greens. Much better than any processed cereal :) . To me, it is totally worth the effort. My daughter has gone from a B & C student to a straight A student since we have started juicing and changing our diets.

We own a Breville. Yes, it can be a pain to juice and clean up but I know that the benefits far outweigh any inconvenience. Once my Breville goes I want to get a Champion. The Champion is supposed to preserve the enzymes much better than the Breville. The Champion can also do more things such as making raw ice cream and nut butters.

jenvan Collaborator
You're going to have to fill me in on "the gellin" television commercial. By choice, I don't own a television.

Dianna-

Well, it is kind of lame commercial, but somehow the lameness of it always makes me laugh :) It a doctor scholl's commercial where something horrible happens (like a car accident), but the people involved are totally laid back and near euphoria-happy b/c they are wearing dr. scholl's gel shoe inserts, so instead of getting mad, they ask eachother if they are "gellin'"... Don't worry...you're not missing out on too much! :P

Guest Rad

Now that I'm HOOKED on juicing, my brand new Breville has died <_<. Have had it one week and tried everything, including pushing the reset button. BUT maybe this is a good thing because after reading your posts, looks like the Champion Juicer is the way to go. Any particular model number you recommend?

Claire Collaborator
Now that I'm HOOKED on juicing, my brand new Breville has died <_<. Have had it one week and tried everything, including pushing the reset button. BUT maybe this is a good thing because after reading your posts, looks like the Champion Juicer is the way to go. Any particular model number you recommend?

Don't miss looking at the Omega Juicer. Read Dr. Mercola's comments on this. Model 8003 and 8005 is the latest model. They are the same - just different exteriors and prices. This one does leaf vegetables - which many do not. Also makes nut butters etc. Claire

Guest Rad

Thought I had done my homework prior to purchasing the Breville 800 juicer. But after reviewing various websites am now looking at the Omega 8005 per Claire's suggestion, and per Tarnalberry's recommendation am looking at the Champion 2000. There's a store in town that has both; so will check them out tomorrow.

Dianna

Archived