Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
3 3
Christopher80

Sorghum Intolerance?

Rate this topic

Hello,

I realized I was celiac about 2 years ago. I’m starting to think I have a very similar reaction to sorghum. It’s taken me a while to winnow down to this, but I’m pretty sure. Wondering if others have this co-intolerance? Sorghum is in lots of gluten-free processed food and, sadly, most gluten-free beers, so I surely thought it’d be safe. Are sorghum and glutenous grains somehow related??

Chris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

On 10/6/2019 at 6:56 AM, Christopher80 said:

Hello,

I realized I was celiac about 2 years ago. I’m starting to think I have a very similar reaction to sorghum. It’s taken me a while to winnow down to this, but I’m pretty sure. Wondering if others have this co-intolerance? Sorghum is in lots of gluten-free processed food and, sadly, most gluten-free beers, so I surely thought it’d be safe. Are sorghum and glutenous grains somehow related??

Chris

I am very suspicious of sorghum flour also, and I've been on the gluten-free diet for 32 years and have continuing problems.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 15 years ago by biopsy. About a year ago, I noticed that I would have symptoms after eating certain gluten free foods that contained sorghum flour. The symptoms were the same as if I had eaten wheat gluten. This requires checking the ingredients list of even gluten free  labeled foods.

This true of any number of ingredients included in prepackaged gluten-free foods. Because celiac disease introduces dysfunction into the immune system, Celiacs tend to develop sensitivities and allergies to other non gluten ingredients. But the specifics will be different for everybody. 

Edited by trents

When I first went gluten-free I turned to Redbridge Beer and commercially prepared gluten-free breads.  Horrible reactions.  It was not the sorghum, nor any other gluten-free grain.  Further testing showed that I am highly allergic to both Brewers and Bakers yeast.

My personal experience has been - over time - all grains affect my digestion. Many studies to date have shown that corn and other supposedly non-gluten grains induces inflammatory damage in those with gluten sensitivity. Almost half of all celiac patients don’t get better on a wheat, rye, and barley free diet. But instead of eliminating all non-gluten grains, it is best to just start with removing the one that is causing problems and then notice how your body reacts when you introduce another grain, i.e., potato, rice.  Thankfully, there are non-grain flours, such as almond, coconut, but if you have a tree nut sensitivity, one has to avoid those as well.  It is a journey, my friend, but you are not alone.