Mikeymike93

Celiac Setback symptoms 6months gluten free

Rate this topic

Hello. I have been gluten free for about 6months now due to celiac. Overall I have had less bad reactions to food then when I started the diet. However still every now and then I will have a bad reaction normally a few hours after dinner. But that same dinner would have been fine a week or 2 earlier. Curious whether it could have been from something I had the day prior? Symptoms start with gas and noises in the abdomen, then the next 1-2 days following I have slight abdominal tightness with decrease decreased appetite and gas until I get over it. The only thing I can think of is the dinner was high in salt due to additional soy sauce I may never used before. Curious if anybody that has setbacks and is it something you feel that same day, next day and if my reactions make sense from being 6months gluten free? Thanks

1 hour ago, Mikeymike93 said:

Hello. I have been gluten free for about 6months now due to celiac. Overall I have had less bad reactions to food then when I started the diet. However still every now and then I will have a bad reaction normally a few hours after dinner. But that same dinner would have been fine a week or 2 earlier. Curious whether it could have been from something I had the day prior? Symptoms start with gas and noises in the abdomen, then the next 1-2 days following I have slight abdominal tightness with decrease decreased appetite and gas until I get over it. The only thing I can think of is the dinner was high in salt due to additional soy sauce I may never used before. Curious if anybody that has setbacks and is it something you feel that same day, next day and if my reactions make sense from being 6months gluten free? Thanks

1 hour ago, Mikeymike93 said:

I just discovered that I cannot eat sorghum flour.  I get all the symptom several hours later as if I had wheat.  I am wheat sensitive.  I read some people cannot eat Xanthan Gum ingredient.  You may want to check for this ingredients.  Heard this is common.

3 hours ago, Mikeymike93 said:

... The only thing I can think of is the dinner was high in salt due to additional soy sauce I may never used before. Curious if anybody that has setbacks ... 

Mikemike - soy sauce contains wheat. You need to look at all ingredients in everything! There are gluten free soy sauces and I have been using coconut aminos (really good). I buy things like this online at Vitacost.

In that case, as another poster stated they have found out they are sensitive to sorghum, you could be sensitive to other grains. Were you eating rice with the meal? Was the broth thickened with corn starch? Was there milk in the dish? These are questions you must ask yourself when you have these reactions. The incident you describe is definitely a reaction to something you ate. For instance, I react the same way you describe to sugar cane (white sugar). It’s a shorter duration of symptoms, though. My skin starts itching madly, too. 
I’m reacting to wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, sugar cane, etc. - these are all grasses. I’ve removed all grains from my diet. I also react to milk products. 
Just keep this in mind as you go through your journey  - I hope it’s not more sensitivities. 
I always recommend the website The Paleo Mom for more information on the subject. https://www.thepaleomom.com/category/autoimmunity/