Rate this topic

Starting a couple of months ago I started having some problems. I started getting bloated and nauseous every time I ate. Then I was constipated. Now I get bloated and nauseous every time I eat, I'm constipated, I'm always tired, I get stomach cramps and a stomach ache, I have occasional sharp pains in my stomach area, and I get gassy after I eat. Because of this I never am hungry. I have lost a significant amount of weight. Other symptoms I have are mild headaches and depressive behavior. A couple of years ago before I started feeling sick I had tooth enamel loss, anxiety, and minor lactose intolerance. The stomach aches and pains are usually moderate but lately, they have been getting worse.

I have told my parents about the way I have been feeling and they have been trying to help me figure out what is wrong with me but I can tell they are hesitant to believe it is due to a real medical condition. They have not been listening to the symptoms I tell them. Despite their denial, it is obvious they think it is all in my head and that I am suffering from an eating disorder. I don't think this is the case but is it possible? Could this all be in my head? I am reluctant to think this is an eating disorder because the first symptoms I had were bloating and nausea. I never had the intention of losing weight and I am trying very hard to gain weight despite the pain. I know it may not be very convincing coming from me but it is true. I ordered myself a genetic test and a blood test. I have relatives that have celiac(if that means anything) and my mom is non-celiac gluten sensitive(but has never been tested for celiac). I know the only way to tell if you have celiac or gluten-intolerance is by getting diagnosed by the doctor but I need peace of mind until then. I am not crazy, am I?

The symptoms I have been feeling are most similar to IBS, gluten sensitivity, and celiac. Does my pain have to be severe to be celiac? I am going to continue to eat gluten until celiac is ruled out and then I am going to start an elimination diet. Anything would be so helpful. I feel so alone and confused by everything. 

You are not crazy.  

Years ago, I had a GI tell me and my husband that I was a “high strung” woman and that my GI symptoms were all in my head.   Looking back, I probably had celiac disease all my life (due to life-long iron-deficiency anemia) and a non-functioning gallbladder (0% per HIDA scan) that became infected.  

Do not let doctors or even your parents dismiss you.  Maybe your gluten-sensitive mother is in denial.  Symptoms vary so much among celiacs.  It is one of the reasons this disease is so hard to diagnose.  

My own kid (university student) has been tested twice.  So, she can either remain on gluten or eliminate it.  Having lived in our gluten-free house, she feels best without it.  She is not 100% gluten free, but is gluten light.  After testing, you can choose to trial the diet.  It is your decision.  

I swore that my niece had celiac disease.  She tested negative several times (blood tests and scopes).   Finally, her 4th GI gave her a pill camera.  It revealed damage beyond the reach of both scopes.  She was diagnosed with Crohn’s.  She is doing very well now.  I am sharing this because I do not want you to give up!  

Please make sure you are on a full gluten diet (daily) or all celiac testing will be invalid.  

Be persistent, nice, and get the help you need.  Keep all your medical records!  You are on the right track.   It is not in your head!