• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

EmilyLMT

My Journey

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone!

I've been watching the entries these past couple months and really getting a kick out of the responses. My favorite today was, "annoying comments." HAHA! Been there before...sigh!

I thought I would go ahead and make my first entry and become of part of this wonderful support group!

My history starts back when I was a wee little girl belching beyond belief and even embarressing my 3 brothers because of my skills. Aparently they weren't skills but a disorder that I just discovered back around June of 2005. Everything started to get worse, very worse. So, I made an appointment with a holistic doctor to mainly find out why my mentrual cycles were so crazy, and we ended up talking most of the time about all of the digestive disorders I was going through (I was thinking they were just normal). She suggested a book "Eat Right for Your Type" by Peter D'Adamo. So immediately I got the book, and followed the basic steps of 'wheat is your enemy!' and WALAH! Cured! I was amazed after about 24 hours of not eating wheat, bread, pasta etc. I was feeling like a new woman and tickled pink about my new discovery.

I did go through a slight depression and some denial after realizing gluten was in everything. Then I just got tired of feeling so ill and told myself it was time to be true to myself and to my poor abused intestines. Needless to say the menstrual cycles regulated too as a part of my lifestyle change.

My favorite bread I found is Millet Bread by Deland Bakery and I buy it at Health Foods Unlimited here in Dayton, Ohio. You can also buy it online, and their bagels are scrumptious! I also read a book called "Dangerous Grains" by James Braly which REALLY helped my understand the actual physiological effects of what's really going on in our bodies when we eat wheat or gluten. I'm the type of person that wants to know how everything works, even right down to the cellular level. Another book I really enjoy is "Gluten Free Groumet" by Bette Hagman. Every recipe I've tried in there has been fabulous and delicious. She really has discovered ways to make gluten-free bread very moist.

So right now I'm just living my life reading labels and enjoying the act of cooking gluten free meals that my husband will enjoy also. He's been such a blessing in my life and so supportive! Don't get me wrong, I have my bad days of depression and feeling ill if I accidentially ingest it, but I'm trying to maintain the positive attitidue, I guess that's the only way to survive!

But I wanted to thank everyone for their humor and good insight to this new lifestyle we've all been a part of!!

Emily LMT

Welcome to the board! I have found this board to be a life saver! It truly is a great group of people.

Hez

Guest Rad

Hi Emily . . .

WELCOME to the Board ! ! ! I just joined myself three days ago, and have gotten a real education from this Board. These are intelligent, funny (I'm Gellin') kind of people who are taking Celiac seriously. Thank you for your book recommendations. I've made a list of product recommendations from fellow Board members, and just yesterday picked up some new grocery items I would have never looked for before.

Dianna

Emily,

Welcome to the board :D

Good for you for listening to your body, educating yourself and having a positive attitude about the whole thing. ;)

Hi Emily Welcome to the board. It has been a real life saver for me and my husband. There is a lot of helpful information here and a lot of super caring and supportive people to help with your questions and concerns on your "journey". Good Luck.

Jennifer

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com