Rate this topic

I've just found this site while in class. I've decided to ask for help and suggestions.

I'm 19 and have been enduring pain for a little under six months. I was diagnosed with an eating disorder over a year ago, but I feel that it is a misdiagnosis. I often feel so sick that I could throw up. I have diarrhea every day but was told I can not change my diet because that could change my results. I am in college and have missed class a lot due to the pain. I am very aggravated because my local hospital canceled my surgery and have yet to reschedule it. I am due for an ENG and a Colonoscopy. I need support and help. I've been sleeping a lot more than usual and it's starting to get concerning. I have looked at every website and feel I have to have Celiac or I don't know what else it could be. If you have any advice I would love to hear it. 

I am sorry that you are unwell.  

You can ask your doctor to run a celiac disease blood test panel.  It checks for elevated antibodies.  The university healthcare center should be able to order your lab tests.  

https://celiac.org/about-celiac-disease/screening-and-diagnosis/screening/

Small intestinal biopsies are obtained through an endoscopy.  It is critical to not alter your diet.  All celiac disease testing requires the patient to be on a full gluten diet.  

Keep advocating for your health.  Keep an open mind too.  I could have sworn that my niece had celiac disease (ruled out) but she was diagnosed with Crohn’s instead.  

On 10/21/2019 at 11:46 AM, glcrowell said:

I've just found this site while in class. I've decided to ask for help and suggestions.

I'm 19 and have been enduring pain for a little under six months. I was diagnosed with an eating disorder over a year ago, but I feel that it is a misdiagnosis. I often feel so sick that I could throw up. I have diarrhea every day but was told I can not change my diet because that could change my results. I am in college and have missed class a lot due to the pain. I am very aggravated because my local hospital canceled my surgery and have yet to reschedule it. I am due for an ENG and a Colonoscopy. I need support and help. I've been sleeping a lot more than usual and it's starting to get concerning. I have looked at every website and feel I have to have Celiac or I don't know what else it could be. If you have any advice I would love to hear it. 

if you suspect celiac then whatever you do keep eating gluten until your GI doc tells you to stop. i stopped eating gluten on my own and what a mistake that was, but i didnt know. now i have to eat gluten for 2-3 more months in order to try to get an accurate diagnosis of celiac disease.

stay strong and know that youre not alone. this is a frustrating and uncomfortable process, but we share the experience and must try to support each other as much as possible. good luck and godspeed. i wish you all the best