JamiLC

Vitamins and Supplements

Rate this topic

I apologize if this subject has been brought up in another area of the forum but I just joined today and need some help. I’ve been gluten and dairy free for 8 years now, and recently have been experiencing some health issues- lack of appetite, dizziness, shakiness, extreme fatigue, etc. I went to the dr and had several blood tests and found I’m deficient in several nutrients that celiacs are commonly deficient in (for example, folate). I’ve been so focused on avoiding what I can’t eat to avoid getting sick that I haven’t been paying attention to what my diet is lacking in. I need to start taking a daily multivitamin and adjust my diet. Do any of you have suggestions on the best multi-vitamins and supplements to take when you have celiac disease and are low in folate and are anemic? Thank you so much for your help.

Jamie

I went with liquid ones from Liquid Health and used them in a glass of tea in the mornings and afternoons. I used the B-complex and Neurological support one. I used to use a half dose each twice a day but now only do it once a day, in addition I eat a paleo based diet with keto macros high in meats now days and be sure to get leafy greens and nut/seed based products (Vegan Cheese, Nut based milks, or Nut based baked goods) in a meal once a day. I found I had to supplement vitamin D, and C also but I can not eat fruit or get out much.

Everyone is  a bit different but starting with a well rounded diet to the best of your abilities with your food limitations is best, digestive enzymes can help get more from your food.

Edited by Ennis_TX

As I'm sure you must know, when choosing supplements like vitamins make sure they are gluten free - look at the ingredients, but there should also be some statement from the manufacturer.

For folate supplements, it is best to choose methylfolate, not folic acid, to ensure optimal absorption.

As above, for folate and not only what helps most is a diet rich in vegetables, especially any greens, leafy or not, like spinach, arugula, broccoli, asparagus, but also beetroot and avocado. Organ meats, especially liver, are also a good source and generally packed with nutrition. So are legumes like lentils or chickpeas, if tolerated. Don't forget fresh fruit - citrus, papaya, pineapple - and make sure to include nuts and seeds (sunflower, flaxseed, walnuts, hazelnuts etc.).