amiller

Celiac link with Rhabdomylolysis?

Rate this topic

Hello community, 

I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with rhabdomyolysis or knew of the condition's relationship with celiac disease. 

In 2018 and again in 2019 I succumbed to exercise induced rhabdomyolysis, and each time was hospitalized for 4 days per treatment. My doctors have been confused because in each case the amount of exercise seemed to be not strenuous enough to cause the condition. In 2018 I did 3 sets of bench press and 3 sets of chest flies. In 2019 I did 4 sets of push-ups for 30 seconds each. Typically these types of things don't lead active and otherwise fit 32 year old men to the hospital. So, my doctors are exploring the connection between celiac disease and rhabdomyolysis. They have found some literature documenting the connection, but not tons. 

Has anyone else had similar issues? Or insight into the connection?

Thank you very much. 

A sample of one. Likely have had celiac 15+ yrs (get too ill to be tested). Get what I’ve assumed to be rhabdomyolysis when I’ve twice tried taking statins, as well as same (super scary!) reaction to succinylcholine anesthesia for surgery. Reactions so severe, made me think I was dying. 

On 11/9/2019 at 3:54 PM, amiller said:

Has anyone else had similar issues? Or insight into the connection?

Amiller,

I have not had similar issues...but I might have some insight that might help you....I do nutrition research a lot myself...to treat my Type II diabetes without medicine...so I run across other things while I am searching...this research sounds like it will/could/help/describes what might be happening to you....https://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2094297

I hope it is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

Thank you all for the insight. Posterboy that article is very interesting, it's the first thing that has mentioned folks having continued pain like I do. I'm waiting to get approval for the genetic testing but it looks like we could head in that direction. Again, lots of appreciation for this community. 

On 11/10/2019 at 8:35 AM, trents said:

Please keep us posted if you find out more. This is very weird. The two onsets of rhabdo both followed resistance type exercises. Do you know if say, jogging or swimming would do the same?

For me jogging and swimming have not brought on Rhabdo, but have exacerbated my muscle pain in the months after Rhabdo.