• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

i'm new to this forum so i'm not sure if this topic has been reviewed before or not, but i'm really confused on the issue of vinegar. i've heard from some people that it's ok as long as it's distilled, but then others say it's ok whether it's distilled or not. it's a pretty big deal since it's in alot of things, i was just wondering if anyone knew for sure. thanks!

i'm new to this forum so i'm not sure if this topic has been reviewed before or not, but i'm really confused on the issue of vinegar. i've heard from some people that it's ok as long as it's distilled, but then others say it's ok whether it's distilled or not. it's a pretty big deal since it's in alot of things, i was just wondering if anyone knew for sure. thanks!

I have encounted the same problems. I read one place that it must be distilled, and other places it's ok as long as it is not MALT vinegar. I know for a fact MALT vinegar is BAD. But..could someone shed some light on the subject? I would say it's always safe to have regular distilled vinegar, and I read that Heinz white vinegar is safe.

from what i know, anything that says "vinegar" means distilled vinegar and it is safe.

I use heinz vinegar and have never had any probs.

So if you see just "vinegar" on a label it is safe, according to the FDA.

You are correct-malt vinegar is not safe.

*however, i do believe there are some people who still have problems with vinegar.

I also thought it had to say distilled, thats what someone told me too. I was scared to eat my relish because it just says vinegar

Vlasic pickles and relish are always ok. Got to go eat my chicken wings now. Yum...

Guest BERNESES

I'm not sure, but I think that most vinegars are distilled and therefore they are gluten-free. However, I can't tolerate white vinegar. For some reason it makes me feel "glutened". I stick to products that are made from apple cider vinegar and seem to be OK. Everyone is different though.

Heinz vinager is made distilled from corn, I have never had a problem with it. Many don't react to distilled wheat vinager but some do. My family reacts to distilled grains in vinager and in alcohol. Many will not have any problems but for some reason we get a gluten reaction. I don't know if this is because we were all so very, very sick before diagnosis or because we have DH also.

Even though distilled white vinegar is gluten-free, I've found that I don't tolerate it well. Not sure why. For this reason, I avoid products that have "vinegar" or "distilled vinegar" as an ingredient. I have no problems with balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com