This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Abnormal bloods

Maggyanne

Maggyanne Rookie

Anyone had raised serum amylase and MCV abnormalities prior to diagnosis. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Sure.  My MCV was....is really low.  I have an anemia called Thalassemia which has tiny red blood cells.  But tiny red blood cells can also indicate iron-deficiency anemia which is common with celiac disease due to malabsorption.    You can be like me and have both.  It is one reason celiac disease was overlooked in my case.  Doctors just assumed I was anemic due to my Thalassemia.  If big cells, you could have an anemia due to a B-12 deficiency.  Doctors look all several tests to help determine an anemia.  

https://www.ebmconsult.com/articles/lab-test-mcv-mean-corpuscular-volume-level

The other test can check, say, your pancreas.    This can also be a common symptom or indicator of celiac disease.  

Maggyanne Rookie
3 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Sure.  My MCV was....is really low.  I have an anemia called Thalassemia which has tiny red blood cells.  But tiny red blood cells can also indicate iron-deficiency anemia which is common with celiac disease due to malabsorption.    You can be like me and have both.  It is one reason celiac disease was overlooked in my case.  Doctors just assumed I was anemic due to my Thalassemia.  If big cells, you could have an anemia due to a B-12 deficiency.  Doctors look all several tests to help determine an anemia.  

https://www.ebmconsult.com/articles/lab-test-mcv-mean-corpuscular-volume-level

The other test can check, say, your pancreas.    This can also be a common symptom or indicator of celiac disease.  

Maggyanne Rookie
1 minute ago, Maggyanne said:

Thanks for your answer.  It’s very frightening as I’m not officially diagnosed yet.  I did a home coeliac test which says it’s 97% accurate and I proved positive, also, from what I’ve read the blood tests also suggest it but as of now my doctor has said only that I probably have a pancreas problem and that’s frightened me to  death.  I see her next week to discuss my latest blood tests so we will discuss then.  It was the nausea and weight loss that took me to the doctors, I’d ignored all the other symptoms malabsorption, abdominal pain etc., as I’ve had bowel disease for years. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

It sounds like you are on track to getting a celiac disease diagnosis.  Let me assure you that if these two odd blood tests results are due to celiac disease, you can expect those results to normalize once you are gluten free and healed.   It will take time though because the diet has a steep learning curve and other organs can be affected.  Celiac disease is systemic and not not just impact your small intestine.  

• 3 weeks later...
Maggyanne Rookie

Apart from a couple of mistakes I’ve been gluten free for a month now.  I still have issues with digestion.  Pain in my abdomen (like there is a blockage ) if I eat a big meal.  Small meals are fine, and I still get excessive wind and nausea.  Has anyone else had symptoms like these 4 weeks into going gluten free. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Mistakes can set you back.  Remember, celiac disease is an autoimmune response.  Once triggered, it can go off for days, weeks or months.  Like my family member who has MS.  She would have severe flares that would last for six weeks or more.  

Time.  One month is not enough time to truly heal.  Most forum members report taking a year or longer to heal.  Took me at least a year and I really knew the diet well since my hubby had been gluten free for 12 years!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Crystall Newbie
9 hours ago, Maggyanne said:

Apart from a couple of mistakes I’ve been gluten free for a month now.  I still have issues with digestion.  Pain in my abdomen (like there is a blockage ) if I eat a big meal.  Small meals are fine, and I still get excessive wind and nausea.  Has anyone else had symptoms like these 4 weeks into going gluten free. 

A few small mistakes means that you’ve reduced gluten. To truly heal (which can take 2 years, sometimes more) you must be completely gluten free. You should continue eating gluten until you have the endoscopy to verify blood lab results. Going gluten-free before that than give you a false negative, same applies to blood lab work, you’ll have symptoms while you heal, they won’t just go away overnight. It was painful for your body while being damaged, there will be pain (not as often and severe hopefully, while your body heals. ANY amount of accidental gluten consumption will cause damage. 

So, going gluten-free must be 100%, not “mostly”. 

You may also have other food related issues, most ppl with an autoimmune disease have more than 1 issue. My daughter has celiacs, she is severely lactose intolerant, doesn’t tolerate legumes, corn, carrots and more. She even had to remove all gluten in cleaning supplies, hygiene, makeup and perfumes. She can’t even kiss a guy that eats gluten until he beushed his teeth and flossed.  She may be extreme but I’m telling you because you need to understand that if you are celiacs, keep eating normal until you’ve had the endoscopy (unless doc says your antibodies are thru the roof, no confirmation necessary, they’re doing endoscopy to see how extensive damage is). Once it’s been confirmed you must commit to being 100% gluten-free, no cheating!!! Also, educate yourself about cross contamination and gluten”stacking” with gluten-free products. Gluten free does not equal gluten free for celiacs patients!!

best of luck to you!!!