• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

elfkin

gluten-free Personal Care Products For Toddlers?

Rate this topic

I thought I would send this question out to all of you experts! Any great finds on gluten-free shampoo that would also be gentle for a child with eczma? Toothpaste for kids that taste good and is safe? Cream for dry skin that is allergy safe and gluten-free? and gluten-free wipes? I didn't realize till recently that any wipes had gluten?! Found out yesterday that my hair product has wheat! I just put my 6 year old on the gluten-free diet as well, and she came walking in putting on lip gloss today. I felt like the police! "STOP! That could be gluten!" :rolleyes:

So, if any of you have ideas on these types of products that are kid friendly, I would love to hear about it.

I have a perfect suggestion, or what I think is perfect :) Try California Baby products: http://www.californiababy.com/ I use them myself. They are especially formulated for sensitive adults, kids and babies, and those with excema or other skin conditions. They have shampoos, body washes, sunscreen, lip balm, bubble bath, face lotions etc etc...and all of their products are gluten-free! I have really liked the products, fresh and gentle....

Guest nini

I believe that Huggies Natural Care wipes are gluten free, but you may want to double check this with the manufacturer.

the regular flavors of chapstick are gluten free as are the Walt Disney versions of their flavor craze... Actually I think the rep said that all the flavor craze chapsticks are gluten free too. My daughter really loves regular Burts Bees lip balm...

I use a lotion by Kiss My Face that is hypoallergenic and unscented, it has aloe in it and is gluten free and safe for kids

we also use Colgate toothpastes. I use the regular and my daughter uses the Barbie bubble gum flavor

I like the gluten-free Savonnerie line - shampoo, conditioner, soap and skin creme. It's fragrence free as well as gluten-free, which I think is a plus. I have problems with the perfumes in skin care items at times.

http://www.gfsoap.com

Debbie

I like the gluten-free Savonnerie line - shampoo, conditioner, soap and skin creme. It's fragrence free as well as gluten-free, which I think is a plus. I have problems with the perfumes in skin care items at times.

http://www.gfsoap.com

Debbie

Debbie--I use this too Isn't it great!

do you know of a baby wipe? saw a post above yours with one will go back and ck.

judy

I use the gluten-free Savonnerie products, too, and like them very much. I tried the California Baby Calming shampoo and bodywash and the skin cream and found that I didn't care for the scent. (to be fair, I am used to my Savonnerie stuff that has no scent--I had no neg. reaction to it). They do have an extra-sensitive line, also, but I've never tried it. I use Crest toothpaste and Badger lip balm.

Toothpaste for kids that taste good and is safe? Cream for dry skin that is allergy safe and gluten-free?
Colgate toothpastes and Vaseline lotions are gluten free.

I use Californina Baby for my dd who has eczema and psoriasis etc. We started using the sensitive skin wash but since cold and flu season came we've been using the Tea Tree & Lavendar wash. I diluted the wash and put it in our hand soap pump to help kill germs naturally.

This my seem hick, but I usually use extra V. olive oil or coconut butter on my dd skin after she gets out of the shower. The natural oils really help to provide moisture. During really dry times I used the oil and then apply a layer of vaseline on top, such as the diaper area.

This winter we made homemade lip balm and it was so much fun. I was really suprised how easy it is. Let me know if you would like to have the recipe. In the batch for my dh & myself I used essential oils. My dd lip balm just had the basics.

I called awhile back and checked on the Children's Tooth Gel from Weleda. They told me it was gluten free but you might just want to double check. The things I like about this toothpaste are: it doesn't contain artifical sweetener, floride (great for little ones that aren't able to spit the toothpast out yet.), and sodium laural sulfate etc.

http://usa.weleda.com/details/?id=9802

According to the delphiforums list and others I've seen. Pamper's Wipes are gluten-free. That's what my dd and I use and they've been fine.

:):)

I knew you would have great ideas! Can't wait to try it out!

I would like to know how you made the lip balm. My daughter would love that.

Thanks for all of the positive input.

Kaseysmom, thanks for the heads up on the weleda tooth gel - I'd just been thinking it was about time for ds to start using toothpaste, and since I use the adult weleda, this is perfect - don't know why I hadn't thought to look there. :)

Jenvan, the WHOLE LINE of Ca baby is gluten-free?? Are the oils and other products with vit E gluten-free too? I've yet to find a whole line of any cosmetic/beauty/health product gluten-free....

Merika

Merika-

Yup, entire line is gluten-free. So nice to have safe ones like that! Ck out ingredients here: http://www.californiababy.com/ingredients.html

(Also, a few other products with completely gluten-free lines: badger, giovanni organic hair care (even the golden wheat shampoo--just a dumb name!), and i believe tropical traditions, oh, and all of bare escentuals makeups (not skincare) )

I like the Crest Kids and we use the Johnson and Johnson Buddies line and they are gluten free. All of them according to their email response. We use Berts Bees lips.

We're going gluten-free starting Thursday for a trial period of 6 weeks. Do we have to change personal care products to be truly gluten-free? My son and I have had bumps on the backs of our arms and legs all our lives. I onced asked an expert in the celiac community and she didn't think it sounded like dh. We're primarily going gluten-free for our 2 1/2 year old daughter who does not have bumps or any other skin condition. Last time we put our daughter on a gluten-free trial we didn't change personal care products and we still noticed a dramatic weight gain. What do you recommend? I certainly don't want to mess up our trial, but I'm not sure we can get our act together quickly enough to get appropriate soap, shampoo, toothpaste, styling products, etc. Wow! What else might we need to replace?!

Guest nini

you may not need to change any personal care products, but you do need to verify with the manufacturer that the ones you use ARE gluten free. A lot of them are. There are a lot that aren't though so just to be safe contact the mfr. When in doubt, do without. That's my motto!

My daughter and I both had the bumps and mine went completely away with the gluten-free diet, my daughter's however have lingered on, and I know she's gluten-free. The Dr. said her's may be ingrown hairs... although I highly doubt it.

Can't wait to try it out!

I would like to know how you made the lip balm. My daughter would love that.

Thanks for all of the positive input.

Lip Balm Base

1.5 ozs/ of beeswax (I used the filtered, unbleached block wax.)

6 tsp & 1/4 tsp. of coconut oil-butter (I like Spectrum.)

5 tsp. of avacado oil

2 tsp. of lanolin

6 drops of peppermint essential oil

10 drops of rosemary essential oil

Melt all ingredients over low heat, except the essential oils. After the beeswax melts, take off the heat and add the essential oils. Pour into lip balm tubes or pots and let harden in the refrigerator.

I found that the lip balm is a wonderful moisturizer for hands and feet. I had a couple old containers from my Bare Escentuals make up that worked great. You can also break off a pc. of the balm and warm in your hands to allow the lip balm to be used as a body butter.

My whole family loves this lip balm. We used other flavors and had fun expiermenting but this recipe is the best. We gave these as Christmas gifts and we got the tubes online. We also got some pipettes that make the tubes really easy to fill.

As I mentioned before, my dd is allergic to an insane amount of things so I did a couple of tubes for her without the essential oils. She seems to like them anyway and I don't think she knows there's a difference.

Hope you have fun with this project. :D

Kaseysmom, thanks for the heads up on the weleda tooth gel - I'd just been thinking it was about time for ds to start using toothpaste, and since I use the adult weleda, this is perfect - don't know why I hadn't thought to look there.

Merika,

How funny! I use the Jason adult toothpaste but I was thinking about trying the adult Weleda. Which Weleda toothpaste do you use?

That sounds really cool!